Seen an other fine for EUC use in Switzerland

OliverH

The time of tolerating the EUs in Switzerland tends to come to an end. In Zurich, Winterthur and St. Gallen area (eastern part of Switzerland) police looks to be prepared.  This time the fine was only 265 CHF. The other I've seen was 460 CHF. The referenced paragraphs from law were the same but there was a difference in the fine and administration cost. 

The EU trend can come to an end over here or sales could be lower than before. Addressing mass market is not possible with EUs not able to pass type approval testing over here to become street legal. A type approved EU in Switzerland would be a test (fulfiling requirements, optimising/ tweaking the firmware) for the upcoming PLEV standard for Europe in general.

Were you fined yourself or some other guy and you heard about it? It sucks either way ... stupid laws. Our cities are overcrowded, gridlocked, no parking spaces to be had, polluted ... Two-ton, 200km/h death machines that continuously spew carcinogenic gases are perfectly OK in our inner cities, but electric uncycles as a near perfect urban transport are forbidden. Sheer idiocy.

7 hours ago, OliverH said:

A type approved EU in Switzerland would be a test (fulfiling requirements, optimising/ tweaking the firmware) for the upcoming PLEV standard for Europe in general.

Do you think the Swiss authorities will expect the Wheel to have the same reliability & risk as wearing a finely tuned Swiss time piece? Will they set the bar so high that it will be impossible to have a 'type approved' Wheel? Damn unfortunate, will you continue riding regardless?

Even the Swiss will finally catch up with reality. Though that might take a while, as it did with women's suffrage.

5 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Do you think the Swiss authorities will expect the Wheel to have the same reliability & risk as wearing a finely tuned Swiss time piece? Will they set the bar so high that it will be impossible to have a 'type approved' Wheel? Damn unfortunate, will you continue riding regardless?

The approach of Swiss Gov is based on existing safety standards. They've done a great job. 

I ride currently in France. Nice routes over there.

5 hours ago, Niko said:

Even the Swiss will finally catch up with reality. Though that might take a while, as it did with women's suffrage.

The manufacturers will be faced with reality. We also. Innovate or die. 

After having over a year an EUC and seeing faulty EUCs and strange behaviour handlings I must say that the EUC development just starts. I had some nice talks with a Swiss approval agency on premise at their facility last year. We talked about the test cases and what an EUC needs to meet to able to start the approval process and what needs to be done. The target is a real challenge. The test cases are defined in a workgroup between ASTRA (Swiss street Gov) and the two approval agencies. All test cases makes sense.

The technical requirements allowed to start the pre approval process are high (full redundancy) but they're derived from safety standards. It's a maximum approach but do a safety concept on an existing safety standard could may be lower the target. I haven't seen any manufacturer right now jumping in and doing the safety concept. I've missed the skills up to now to do that job - which doesn't mean that the skills are not there. 

The Swiss market is a test market to develop a product to meet the PLEV standard requirements. Manufacturers can do step by step to meet the upcoming PLEV standard. I don't say this because I live here. 

I've made some iterations and got 4 possible solutions (redundant motor design) of the redundant/ safety aware drive train to. One is available as a parts product, the second solution was handled in master thesis and projects in other areas, the third is handled in 0master thesises and the fourth is a new development which needs to be tested on the bench first. 

All solutions of the motor needs a new improved main board setup, a more skilled firmware and also quality management processes at the manufacturer. Future EUC manufacturer are vehicle manufacturer and not toy assemblers. 

Safety is the core matter. Not following this route will end in a loss of access to the European market. Outlook 2-4 years forward.

It's like windsurfing. If you carry board and rig to the water you can do it against the wind by carrying the rig in the wrong position or you can carry the rig in the right position and the wind helps you easily to carry board and rig to the water. In the last case you understand the rules and use it for your advantage. 

Archived