Overheating MSuper

Had a nice tour after work and taken done nice steeps. On top of the hill my MSuper starts beeping and made movements back and forward. After switching off and cool down I had no problem downhill.  I'm a heavy man so this an issue on all EU with me on top :( 

Is there a better heat sink available like on the ACM? Or can I modify (cut) this heat sink and use it in the MSuper?

1 hour ago, OliverH said:

Had a nice tour after work and taken done nice steeps. On top of the hill my MSuper starts beeping and made movements back and forward. After switching off and cool down I had no problem downhill.  I'm a heavy man so this an issue on all EU with me on top :( 

Is there a better heat sink available like on the ACM? Or can I modify (cut) this heat sink and use it in the MSuper?

Heat sinks help but you also need air circulation to cool down the heat sinks, I will post a howto in 2 parts one for the heat sinks and part 2 for air circulation, the instructions will be for a ks18a but the idea can be used on any EUC.

The problem with overheating control boards is that after a given period of time on reaching temperatures above 60C they become unreliable and dangerous.

13 minutes ago, checho said:

Heat sinks help but you also need air circulation to cool down the heat sinks, I will post a howto in 2 parts one for the heat sinks and part 2 for air circulation, the instructions will be for a ks18a but the idea can be used on any EUC.

The problem with overheating control boards is that after a given period of time on reaching temperatures above 60C they become unreliable and dangerous.

One thing I learned while researching paralleling mosfets is that while the Rds(on) (the resistance of the conducting path between source and drain when fully turned "on") goes up with temperature (ie. the resistance increases and the power dissipation of the mosfet goes up), the gate-to-source -threshold voltage (that controls when the mosfets starts to conduct) actually lowers with temperature. So with high temperatures you could (potentially) get a sort of a chain reaction: heat causes the Rds(on) to go up, which in turn causes the mosfet to dissipate more power, which heats up the mosfet more... and at the same time the voltage required to turn the mosfet on becomes lower. At some point, it's possible that fluctuations of the voltage at the gate cause it to turn on at "wrong" time, which could potentially cause a bridge shoot-through and burn the mosfet(s) of the board.

13 hours ago, OliverH said:

Msuper made beeping not only because the overheat problem, when the load over 80% load motor power, it will make beeping too. Climb hills require more for the motor, so it beep maybe for the motor power problems too. Check the APP if the temperature go up to around 80 degree or not, it can help to find out the cause why it beep. Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Linnea Lin Gotway said:

Msuper made beeping not only because the overheat problem, when the load over 80% load motor power, it will make beeping too. Climb hills require more for the motor, so it beep maybe for the motor power problems too. Check the APP if the temperature go up to around 80 degree or not, it can help to find out the cause why it beep. Thanks!

He already mentioned that his weight is the problem.

4 minutes ago, Linnea Lin Gotway said:

It made the same symptoms as the KS18, beeping, tilt back to get the driver off. Than the MSuper made a tilt back in stand and a tilt forward while beeping. It makes this slowly 2 times until I switched it off. Switched it off to cool it down, as standing turned on also request power from the mosfets. I had 2 battery LED indicator at that time. No undervoltage beeps.

As I'm an iPhone user I've no access on the road. I only have a test android device at home which I can use to make settings. But connection is very unstable. I need to find some time to finish my Arduino SPP to GATT converter to switch over to Bluetooth LE to have access with the iPhone. This will be done by replacing the existing BT module with the Arduino board and connecting to Rx/ Tx and the Arduino communicates with the protocol to the MSuper main board and connects via the BT LE module of the Arduino board to the Smartphone/ App.

Or  will there be an BT LE upgrade for the MSuper and integration in the ACM App? This would need the blue BT module of MCM3/4/ ACM and a firmware release what I understand. As the firmware is currently not App upgradeble this would result in an main board swap. I would pay for it and I think there are more people to do that.

In situation like this I've respect for the advantage of the KS16 which have audio messages which makes it feasible for the user what happens. 

12 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

He already mentioned that his weight is the problem.

Yes, that's true. My old IPS would never manage to do that incline (in one run or the battery would have giving up) from yesterday, A long incline, very nice, but hard . 

Archived