Brand new out of the box ninebot E+, is red and beeping

adamo

Hi...

Im a complete newbie nineboter.  The directions aren't exactly... clear.

When I opened the box and turned on the unit, it showed all red lights, and started beeping loudly, trying to turn the wheel really fast, and then it turned off.  So I plugged it in and now Im waiting to see if the problem goes away.

Why is it doing this?  Is it because its low on batteries?  What does all red lights on the outside of the unit mean?  Overall I am just confused as to whats going on, and how to better work with this product.  Is there a guide anywhere on what each "signal" - color.sounds.etc mean for this unit?

thanks

also, when its plugged in (with power off) am I supposed to see some Leds that indicate how charged it is?  Sorry, just really confused over here

When you turned it on, did you have it upright on its wheel on the ground? If the tire is not on the ground it will spin trying to level itself, and not be able to, frustrating it enough to beep and flash at you in anger! :angry:

And no, it will turn itself off after a couple of minutes of inactivity. You have to turn it back on to see the progress of the red/yellow/green lights showing how charged up it is. Same thing for using the phone app to get a more exact reading of how charged it is, the 9bot has to be turned on.

Good luck and welcome to the community! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Also, to add to the above post.  If the wheel is spinning, avoid touching it either to yourself, or the floor.  It will create a pretty good rug burn, or skin burn, or worse.  It's VERY strong.

3 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

It will create a pretty good rug burn, or skin burn, or worse. 

Good point, I have made a few marks on the sidewalk in front of my house doing exactly that. Fortunately I haven't done it on carpet. There is only one reason why you'd legitimately want to lift it up while the wheel is spinning, and that is doing a full recalibration, which you likely won't need to do on a brand new bot.

1 hour ago, adamo said:

ok.  so the red and spinning of the wheel does seem tied to lifting it off the ground, so that's one question down.  I just wish there was a way to turn off the beeping.

The rule of thumb for all electric unicycle is:

1) Hold the wheel upright with the tire touching the ground;

2) Turn on the wheel using the power button (you may or may not hear a confirmation beep).

3) Slowly roll the wheel back and forth with your hands to confirm if the gyro is activated.

4) Never lift the wheel when the power button is turned on or it will spin like mad and beep continuously for quite some time. Exemption applies if you lift the wheel in it's exact standing position where the wheel will not be able to spin (I do it with my Ninebot when climbing small steps).  

1 hour ago, adamo said:

ok.  so the red and spinning of the wheel does seem tied to lifting it off the ground, so that's one question down.  I just wish there was a way to turn off the beeping.

The beeping is there to tell you there is a problem. If you mean it continued to beep after the wheel span at high speed and then stopped it is telling you that it has killed power to the wheel for safety (it thinks you have crashed) Either turn the power off and,  this time with the wheel upright and on the ground, turn it on again, or, if it behaves the same as my KingSong, simply tip it on its side and then stand it up with the wheel on the ground. It will not beep once it is powered up and safe to step on to. 

I fact, bearing in mind that these things have enough power to hurt you (or someone else) if you don't understand what you are doing, start by looking at some how to ride videos on YouTube first this one looks a good place to start:

If the 9bot falls over while you are attempting to ride it, it may start beeping if you don't "reset" it by first turning it off, setting it upright with the wheel contacting the ground, then turning it back on. This may be what is happening, especially while you are still in the learning phase.

Let us know if this is when the beeping is happening.

Edit:

Also, it may be going slow because the "speed limit" feature is enabled by default. Use the Ninebot App to disable the speed limit. It is far easier to learn going faster (within reason, mind you!) than slower. In fact, going very slow on an EUC is an advanced skill that takes a while to learn. The best way to learn is to "commit to it." Go for broke and trust the machine. It will "catch you" as you lean forward and "come up underneath you" to keep you from falling. Now, don't go crazy with speed though, just fast enough to help you balance from side to side.

To slow down, just straighten up, and it won't have to go forward very fast to keep you from falling forward. To stop quickly, lean backwards, and it will come to a stop, and even start going backwards.... but learning that skill is for another day.

Archived