Constant speed mode

Jan H

I'm a monowheel novice with a MonoWheel Elite Zero. I've set the speed limit to 12 km/h. When I drive in lower speed, the pedals are in level all the time. But when I reach my top speed does the wheel enter some kind of "12km/h-constant-speed-cruising-mode". I can tilt the pedals a bit forward/backwards, but the speed remains 12 km/h. If I want to slow down, I must press down my heels quite deep. Is this design standard at all monowheels? I guess this "constant-speed-mode" lower the power consumtion, but I find it annoying.

7 hours ago, Jan H said:

I'm a monowheel novice with a MonoWheel Elite Zero. I've set the speed limit to 12 km/h. When I drive in lower speed, the pedals are in level all the time. But when I reach my top speed does the wheel enter some kind of "12km/h-constant-speed-cruising-mode". I can tilt the pedals a bit forward/backwards, but the speed remains 12 km/h. If I want to slow down, I must press down my heels quite deep. Is this design standard at all monowheels? I guess this "constant-speed-mode" lower the power consumtion, but I find it annoying.

Why don't you set the speed limit to a higher value like say 18km/h. That way, you would not experience any tiltback at 12km/h.

12 hours ago, Jan H said:

From what I understand the MonoWheel Elite Zero is a rebadged IPS Zero. Take a look at the posts on the IPS Zero here for more information.

I'm slightly puzzled what you are asking as you say you have set it to 12kph. The wheel does not enter some constant speed mode as such, what it does is tilt the peddles backwards to discourage you from going faster, It does it for safety rather than power consumption. Obviously (I hope) if the peddles are tilted back then you will have to tilt back even further to slow down. The app will allow you to set a higher tilt back speed - you may need to clock up a certain mileage before it lets you though? 

Note:  a balancing wheel cannot enter a constant speed mode, it is torque that holds you up, if you lean forward it has to accelerate in order to push back against your forward weight. It would continue to do that until the speed it is going means there is no torque left and you then fall forwards. Tilting back makes it harder for you to do that. 

Thank You SlowMo and Keith for the replies. I'm aware that the wheel makes small speed corrections all the time. But roughly, it keeps constant speed. Increasing the speed limit one notch, 20 km/h in my case, is an alternative which I've tested. But no.. I'm no way seriously injured, but I will stick to 12 km/h.. What I actually was asking: Are all monwheels from the leading manufactures designed with this tilt back function?

31 minutes ago, Jan H said:

Thank You SlowMo and Keith for the replies. I'm aware that the wheel makes small speed corrections all the time. But roughly, it keeps constant speed. Increasing the speed limit one notch, 20 km/h in my case, is an alternative which I I've tested. But no.. I'm no way seriously injured, but I will stick to 12 km/h.. What I actually was asking: Are all monwheels from the leading manufactures designed with this tilt back function?

Yes, it's the only form of protection from overspeeding provided by an electric unicycle.

44 minutes ago, Jan H said:

Thank You SlowMo and Keith for the replies. I'm aware that the wheel makes small speed corrections all the time. But roughly, it keeps constant speed. Increasing the speed limit one notch, 20 km/h in my case, is an alternative which I I've tested. But no.. I'm no way seriously injured, but I will stick to 12 km/h.. What I actually was asking: Are all monwheels from the leading manufactures designed with this tilt back function?

yes, at least the good ones are. There are some that let you continue your speed until you reach the point when there's not torque left, and you take a face plant.

Why do you ask?

I ask because I find it annoying. When I drive slowly, I can brake with a minimal movement with my heels. But when I reach "tilt back speed", I must make a deep movement with my heels if I want to slow down. But I will get used to it I presume..

14 minutes ago, Jan H said:

I ask because I find it annoying. When I drive slowly, I can brake with a minimal movement with my heels. But when I reach "tilt back speed", I must make a deep movement with my heels. But I presume I will get used to it..

I think possibly we are not understanding how you are getting into difficulties with this? Did you have an accident when going faster and so reset the wheel down to 12kph due to that?

I'm 60 years old and ride an earlier 14" KingSong which is fixed with a top speed of 25kph. I run it all the time at that speed (with constant beeping) when I'm on open paths like in parks but I run it in built up areas at around 12-15kph just in case somebody steps out of their house in front of me.

Setting a high enough top speed that you don't get tilt back and then driving well below that speed is no more difficult than driving a 160kph capable car at 50kph. And to be honest, even at my age I'd be fairly peeved if I couldn't do more than 20kph let only 12!

On 8. Mai 2016 at 10:46 PM, Jan H said:

... I've set the speed limit to 12 km/h. ...

38 minutes ago, Jan H said:

I ask because I find it annoying. ... But when I reach "tilt back speed", I must make a deep movement with my heels. ...

Then do not set your speed limit to 12 km/h but the max speed/ cancel it if possible. So you don't have the annoying behaviour without reason but as an (cancelable) safety feature at the limit.

If you don't like tilt backs at all you should change to ?gotways/kingsongs (the new models?)? - with them you have no max speed tiltbacks or you can cancel them at all (until one faceplates if one is not "sensible"/predictive enough to "withstand" it)

To know which model has exactly which possiblility please ask the forum members or use the search funcion...

ps.: as @Keithhas described, it is a safety feature to keep one from overspeeding which could lead to a faceplant. A not so nice "side effect" of this tilt back is, that if one accelerates to fast that it "kicks in" so "violently" that it is a hit hard to regain balance and break again... So this is a point to get used to imho - either reduce acceleration (to the limits of the wheel or the riderl) or learn to ride "the bull" ?

I'm only a few years younger than you Keith, but old enough to realise that a monowheel is a real, real bad choice if you like speed. I will never encourage anyone to test the limits.

6 hours ago, Jan H said:

I'm only a few years younger than you Keith, but old enough to realise that a monowheel is a real, real bad choice if you like speed. I will never encourage anyone to test the limits.

Not So. If you look at the IPS Zero Thread, people ride their units at an average speed of around18-25km/h and @Paul Panait even did ride his Zero until the battery is fully exhausted.

See below post of @Stefan(O) for your reference.

You are probably working too much with your feet: try bending the knees and lean forward to accelerate, and for "braking" stop leaning forward and slowly start leaning backwards.

You'll get the hang of it, in the beginning 12KmH seems fast, after a couple of months you'll be comfortable at 25KmH

Ahh.. There are clues to be found for this enigma of why set a very low top speed and then not like the tilt back it has to then do.

Looks like it cut out going backwards and forwards indoors (so probably overheated it): 

A bit worrying that an IPS would do that instead of beeping and tilting back if it got too hot?

Archived