My Sherman L Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

1 hour ago, Anthraksi said:

Huh, I get similar range with similar speeds with the S. Granted I am probably lighter (around 70kg) which mostly explains the difference, but the 400wh increase isn't that big either especially when you consider that the added power of the L might get you to ride more aggressively.

Still more than happy with the S, zero issues and it still even after 6000km has enough power and torque for my needs. I had a desire (and still do to some extent) to upgrade to the L but ehhhh, for what it costs and what I get in return it just seems more and more to be an unwise decision and more or less a waste of money when considering the bigger picture.

Biggest reason to upgrade from S to L would be for the increased charging speed, basically you can charge it 50% faster, that's a pretty big difference if you use EV Adapter + Fast charger out on the go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

But you ride in Finland, right?

Don't you have to worry about the police?

Yes and no. Most EUC's are illegal yes, since they go above 25kmh and are more than 1kw powerwise. Also you would need an insurance, which would not cover anything in case of an accident since you are riding an illegal vehicle for road use.

However reality is that no one cares. I have never been stopped by the police even though I probably see one or two cars every time I'm riding. They don't seem to care as long as you dont ride dangerously or otherwise ride in a way that requires their attention.

There are however risks involved always. I can get a pretty big fine depending on how fast I ride and I will also get a fine for not having an insurance (since it is useless, I'm not paying for it). This just is somewhat unlikely to happen unless you happen to ride past them at like 65kmh and then thats on you. Knowing how to behave in traffic makes them leave you alone, simple as that.

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

Biggest reason to upgrade from S to L would be for the increased charging speed, basically you can charge it 50% faster, that's a pretty big difference if you use EV Adapter + Fast charger out on the go.

Yeah I guess that is true. I don't really have a need to go over 150km per day as of yet so fast charging isn't really a thing that I need since I can get by with just a fully charged battery. Maybe next year I will see if I'm interested in going on a long distance trip on an EUC.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Rawnei said:

So Sheman S you can charge with 15Amps and Sherman L with 20Amps, that's 33% faster :) Also fast charging is bad for batterylife so there goes that.
For me the only reason to upgrade from S to L would be SmartBMS, but that's not enough to make me do a 4k€ purchase.

4 hours ago, Laaban said:

So Sheman S you can charge with 15Amps and Sherman L with 20Amps, that's 33% faster :) Also fast charging is bad for batterylife so there goes that.
For me the only reason to upgrade from S to L would be SmartBMS, but that's not enough to make me do a 4k€ purchase.

100V vs 151V.. 50% more watts.

50S cells standard charge rating is 2.5A, times 6 that is 15A standard charging, you're not even going above standard charging rating at 15A.

Charging at 2265 Watts without affecting life cycles at all, going above that not going to be a dramatic difference either.

Edited by Rawnei

151.2V/100.8V * 20A/15A = 3/2 * 4/3 = 12/6 = 2, so it should be 100% faster charging, right? :P

Nice! I think fast charging is important for a long range wheel like this, with which you might want to do massive tours and then need short charging times if you recharge on a break. That's when time/charge duration might really matter and make some things possible/pleasant due to faster charging. You can always charge more slowly at home.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 8/15/2024 at 2:35 AM, Laaban said:

Fast charging the Sherman L at 20-amps is not bad for battery life.

More power, light weight, better trolley handle, keeps running even if the hall sensors fail, etc.

I'm sure you could sell the Sherman S to soften the blow of buying the L :)

Edited by Marty Backe

Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2024 at 2:52 AM, Anthraksi said:

Huh, I get similar range with similar speeds with the S. Granted I am probably lighter (around 70kg) which mostly explains the difference, but the 400wh increase isn't that big either especially when you consider that the added power of the L might get you to ride more aggressively.

Still more than happy with the S, zero issues and it still even after 6000km has enough power and torque for my needs. I had a desire (and still do to some extent) to upgrade to the L but ehhhh, for what it costs and what I get in return it just seems more and more to be an unwise decision and more or less a waste of money when considering the bigger picture.

I'd LOVE to see the data to see if you really are getting similar range

Edited by Marty Backe

21 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Fast charging the Sherman L at 20-amps is not bad for battery life.

More power, light weight, better trolley handle, keeps running even if the hall sensors fail, etc.

I'm sure you could sell the Sherman S to soften the blow of buying the L :)

Probably I will be doing exactly like that. :)

• Like 1

Question for @Marty Backe and anyone else who’s ridden both… How does the LeaperKim suspension compare to the InMotion V13?

I own a V13 but I’ve never ridden a suspension LeaperKim wheel. Is it a night and day difference? I suspect so given the reduced friction of the coil spring and the overall design. I ride almost exclusively street by the way.

20 minutes ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

Question for @Marty Backe and anyone else who’s ridden both… How does the LeaperKim suspension compare to the InMotion V13?

I own a V13 but I’ve never ridden a suspension LeaperKim wheel. Is it a night and day difference? I suspect so given the reduced friction of the coil spring and the overall design. I ride almost exclusively street by the way.

It's been awhile since I've ridden the V13 but I remember that it was rather unremarkable. A bit on the stiff side. Not much adjustability and not particularly robust (I broke one by over adjusting it). It got the job done and is by no means horrible but naturally we want to compare it to the marketplace.

Get a picture of a V13 shock and then a Fastace shock. One will look kind of like a toy. The V13 suspension was basically the V11 suspension put on a much heavier (and expensive) wheel. They made big improvements when they moved to the V14 suspension, joining the linkage club.

Trust me, the Leaperkim suspensions represent the EUC standard by which all others are compared. And that was the Sherman S. With the Lynx and L they took it to the next level.

• Like 3

On 7/24/2024 at 6:31 PM, Marty Backe said:

@Marty Backe
Have you done a video comparing off-road unicycles?
I see you own a whole collection of wheels but do not have the V14.
Did Dawn ride the Sherman L? Is it too heavy for smaller people?

15 hours ago, Jayzao said:

@Marty Backe
Have you done a video comparing off-road unicycles?
I see you own a whole collection of wheels but do not have the V14.
Did Dawn ride the Sherman L? Is it too heavy for smaller people?

I have the V14 but there have been issues.

Dawn has been busy with life so she hasn't ridden the L much but she has at least one video on her channel.

I don't compare off-road EUC's specifically. I just review EUC's in general when I have access to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2024 at 4:27 AM, Skampster said:

Apart from its weight, there’s reasons why you don’t see many V13’s around. 

I thought it was the cost and the weight, especially the weight of a wheel that doesnt even have the kinda "standard" 3.600Wh of a modern superwheel, and that it has poor range even for the 3.000Wh that it does have.

On 8/26/2024 at 10:23 PM, InfiniteWheelie said:

I’ve ridden both. I had a V13 loaned to me for a week and I currently own a Sherman S. I find the suspension and ride feel much better on the Sherman. Plus the range on the V13 isn’t great for such a large heavy wheel. I also didn’t like how tall the inmotion  wheel was, the top hit my knee joints and made it painful to carve after awhile. 

• Like 3