InMotion V14 First Impression (Heavy Rider)

Day 3 Update:

Took the wheel out to the park again and learned a few things. My foot placement was all wrong as I wasnt putting my feet fowards enough on the peddles. I also do much better standing straight up without bending my knees. I still cant seem to get moving well without holding onto something and moving. I dont feel like im accelerating fast enough and I dont know if its my weight, settings, or just skill issue. Im better than when I started, but still cant go further than like four feet without losing my balance and smacking the heck outta my shins. I see these videos of people crusing around on one peddle or going super slow and I cant understand how its done. Its dang near impossible for me to get going without losing balance at the moment. Imma keep at it though. I know it can be done, Im just a wuss and dont wanna fall off lol

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Christian90s said:

I also do much better standing straight up without bending my knees.

That's fine initially, as long as you don't lock your legs straight, which would remove the ability of your knees to act as shock absorbers. Eventually though you will come to appreciate the usefulness of being able to sustain vast periods of riding with slightly (or even very) bent legs, and you'll need a great deal of additional strength in thigh muscles to be able to transition between standing and seated riding whilst controlling wobbles, the success of which depends to some extent on those muscles being very strong.

I do daily crouches, and long holds in the 'skiing position' just around the house, which has helped a lot in control of my wheel at higher speeds, and in higher winds, where I have to crouch to avoid being blown off the wheel when it's very gusty.

15 minutes ago, Christian90s said:

I dont feel like im accelerating fast enough and I dont know if its my weight, settings, or just skill issue. Im better than when I started, but still cant go further than like four feet without losing my balance and smacking the heck outta my shins.

I remember that feeling. It is possible that you are still deploying weight forwards in not quite the right way as to impart authoritative enough input. You should be feeling the weight mostly focused at your knees down and forward into the pads. Did you make any changes to your pedal softness settings ? Increasing pedal softness should make acceleration feel easier.

12 hours ago, Christian90s said:

I see these videos of people crusing around on one peddle or going super slow and I cant understand how its done.

You are looking so far ahead that you are not focused on what needs to be done now. As I said in my first post, the first thing you need to get your mind and body in sync with is the core ability of mounting/dismounting. This is done while rolling forward, if you can't mount on the forward roll you can't dismount while coming to a rolling stop. You have to train your body coordination, your muscles and your brain to do these things in a fluid motion. Do not use objects to help you, they will only slow down or even prevent the learning.

Lets say you use an object to help you get going, now are you going to be enslaved to finding an object to help you stop? That's one of the problems with using objects. You need to be able to mount/dismount just with your own ability. Using objects will handicap the time it takes you to train and learn, using them will confuse your understanding of what is required to become a rider.

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

Okay, you asked for it. 10 minute video, what have you got to lose..  ;)

I've been holding off from posting yet another how-to video, there are hundreds out there. However, you are trying to learn on a HEAVY (for a beginner) wheel. Zen's video is very good in that regard. He breaks things down well. If you follow the exercises slowly and methodically, you will learn in a safe and progressive manner. Don't try to rush it. Enjoy the process, you only get to enjoy learning and those first few rides once :) 

If no one has told you, you will mysteriously find that your body does a lot of learning whilst you are away from the wheel. Give your body and head time to adapt. 

Yes, this !

Even with 6 years XP I found adapting to my new big heavy Master a challenge. This helped me greatly.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Some people can even stop and start going again without stepping off. Like at road crossing you slow down to near stop and look both ways and then go over the road.

Also riding at old granny walking speed isn't hard - you just need to hold you body weight right in center of wheel.. (At start while learning flanging around arms may help to keep the balance. Also move your wheel ~~~~~ at slow slow near stop speeds - also helps.)

Again you need to lean!!! If you aren't going fast enough at startup - that means you aren't leaning FAST enough. When i said trust fall but forwards - i meant literally start falling. Aka: superman lean! The wheel will catch you.. More lean - faster it will go. (Or simply place feet 1/3 over front of pedals - that will also help - easier to start to go, as more weight will be at front of wheel.)

Anyways you are doing fine.. In no time you will start to mount/one legged riding while mounting, etc.. (Where you push of ground with one leg and are already riding for split second with one leg, as you place the leg that was on ground on pedal. - Skateboard style.)

Edited by Funky

4 hours ago, Voyager said:

I've been holding off from posting yet another how-to video, there are hundreds out there. However, you are trying to learn on a HEAVY (for a beginner) wheel. Zen's video is very good in that regard. He breaks things down well. If you follow the exercises slowly and methodically, you will learn in a safe and progressive manner. Don't try to rush it. Enjoy the process, you only get to enjoy learning and those first few rides once :) 

If no one has told you, you will mysteriously find that your body does a lot of learning whilst you are away from the wheel. Give your body and head time to adapt. 

This is good. :thumbup:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Voyager said:

Okay this was VERY encouraging. I thought I was alone in struggling so much. Ill have to get practicing every day. Its such a workout that I have lost weight after a week of trying to ride (this is a great thing). The wheel has a lot of power, but man you gotta really work it to feel it. Thanks for the video!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Christian90s said:

I dont feel like im accelerating fast enough

I remember looking at the footrests like a gas pedal or thinking I need to lean forward or backward. That way of thinking is unhelpful.

Instead, think of the wheel as disconnected from your Center Of Mass (upper body) with your hip as the joint inbetween. If the wheel is in front of your c-o-m you'll brake. If it's behind you'll accelerate. Your legs are used together to nudge the wheel in front of you or behind you to achieve the acceleration/desceleration you desire, without worrying about your upper body/c-o-m.(You can't really fall off the wheel forward/backward because it'll try to catch you.)

It's all in the hip.

On 4/30/2024 at 11:03 PM, Cerbera said:

Increasing pedal softness should make acceleration feel easier.

Lol nope. Its at 100% hardness. That could probably be a big part of the problem

4 minutes ago, Christian90s said:

Lol nope. Its at 100% hardness. That could probably be a big part of the problem

In my early days of riding I found changing the responsiveness settings to be more confusing than anything. Pick a setting and stick with it during your training. Your likely real problem is that you are using your feet in a way that you never have or at least since the days of your youth. It literally took me a year + to condition my feet to stop screaming bloody murder at me. I had so much pain at times my feet became numb. This is one of the reasons why I suggest training the way I do. You are building multiple things at once.

Comprehension, muscle, coordination, balance, etc.

Posted (edited)

100% hardness is probably too much, both for beginner, and someone presumably using stock pads. I can't speak for that model (and in fact my XP relates to a 20 inch wheel, which will be more sluggish than yours), but I really struggled with uphilll acceleration on the default pads that came with mine and maximum pedal hardness. Grizzlas, and Medium hardness (Begode pedal modes not a %) made the world of difference. High XP riders and racers usually want the 100% hardness because it gives maximum ride authority and instant response to better acceleration technique, but those of us just getting into this can give themselves a gentler, easier time setting off with softer settings there.

But I do agree you should find a setting that works and stick with it for an extended period of time while you are learning. I just propose your initial choice should be a bit softer than max hardness !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Cerbera said:

100% hardness is probably too much, both for beginner, and someone presumably using stock pads.

I initially said that they should keep it at this so the wheel isn't tilting back and forth dramatically during acceleration and braking however i think i agree that it may be too much for a beginner. The "stock" v14 pads in my opinion are just as good as grizzlas so i don't feel that is a problem but they have to be positioned properly so you are not engaging them until you are leaning forward. Maybe try a 75% and turn on acceleration and brake assist if you are having trouble getting going. I use 100% firm pedals with 50% acceleration and 65%brake assist. I am also using 2° tilt forward. Any higher on the assist and the wheel tilts about 5° in each direction so it's a little strange to get used to.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 10:46 AM, woke rider said:

It gives me 100% more control and joy of riding.

... until you crash and your bare feet get between the wheel and asphalt.

Day 4 Update: back out at the park. Things are getting a little better. I still struggle to stay on the wheel, but i can get mounted and moving at least a few feet. Bought some shine guards. If anything they make me feel a little safer and ill go a little faster. Changed the peddle hardness to zero just to see if it helps. It does indeed. I dont even go to the gym now. Just trying to make this thing go is a workout. Ill keep trying. 

17149409719894990576779871026096.jpg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Christian90s said:

My biggest issue is falling sideways once moving. I can gi a few feet but always start to fall on the side. Any suggestions?

Move wheel like this: ~~~~ at slow speeds - it helps keep it balanced.. Do this ~~~~ motion pretty fast left/right. (Right at very start when you start riding. As you start going faster stop doing that motion.)

Or are you starting to fall mid ride? Then idk.. LOL. Use your hands/upper body to counter weight the fall maybe?

Also if you are falling one side almost all the time - lean more other side in first place.. I always started to fall off on one side while learning to ride backwards. After some time i simply right from starting to ride backwards simply altered my stance to lean more other way (more weight other side) that helped..

Can't help much at riding - as i had no problems riding at all, after i learned to freemount the wheel. You simply stand there and lean forwards and wheel is going forwards. Literally same thing as standing on ground, just leaning/falling forwards and you are going forwards... To me it's the same as simply standing on ground. Just magically you are levitating forward. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Funky said:

Can't help much at riding - as i had no problems riding at all

Remember, im 6'3, taller with boots on. Balancing is a bit difficult, but im getting there. Ill try the snake motion next time. Plus Im not used to ya know, going fast lol 

Posted (edited)

With one leg the wheel needs to lean at a certain angle to be balanced. Practice finding and holding that angle even as you're lifting the other leg. 

It usually means that the side of your shoe presses up against the shell to control that angle.

Also the knee of the wheel leg will feel a bit weird as it's pointing kind of sideways until you've got both feet on the wheel. It's normal if you feel that the knee is pointing in a different direction from your upper body.

Edited by alcatraz

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Christian90s said:

Remember, im 6'3, taller with boots on. Balancing is a bit difficult, but im getting there. Ill try the snake motion next time. Plus Im not used to ya know, going fast lol 

And i'm a fat fatty 6' 280lbs. My weight keeps the wheel balanced. :D 

Try plying with EUC as "ball" controlling it left/right, moving forwards/backwards with one leg - not helping with hand. That also will help. As you will get used to control it one legged, will help at dismount/startup.

Edited by Funky

13 hours ago, Christian90s said:

I can gi a few feet but always start to fall on the side. Any suggestions?

When i first attempted to balance on the wheel, the same type of thing was happening until i noticed that i kept falling to the same side. I quickly realized that i usually put more of my weight onto my dominant foot during every day activity's. As soon as i realized this and consciously shifted my weight to the other foot to even it out and balancing was a breeze after that. Maybe this is what's happening to you?

16 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

When i first attempted to balance on the wheel, the same type of thing was happening until i noticed that i kept falling to the same side. I quickly realized that i usually put more of my weight onto my dominant foot during every day activity's. As soon as i realized this and consciously shifted my weight to the other foot to even it out and balancing was a breeze after that. Maybe this is what's happening to you?

That sounds about right. Its typically my right side. Im going to go out tomorrow and try leaning a bit more left.

• Like 1