InMotion V14 First Impression (Heavy Rider)

16 hours ago, Christian90s said:

what is peddle hardness?

It determines how much "give" the euc has when you lean forward. On 100% the pedals remain mostly level while it accelerates and on 0% the pedals feel spongy and allow the EUC to tilt forward upon acceleration. I would leave that to 100% and leave the power assist off during the learning process as these allow the EUC to tilt forward and back to "assist" in acceleration and braking. However you want to get used to how it feels when the wheel is not tilting so you can recognize  the safety tilt-back when it happens. To get going you want to lean forward while pushing down on your toes and resting you shins against the front pads to keep you upright. You don't have to be leaning forward at a 45° angle to move forward just lean enough so your weight is forward and you are pushing down on your toes. Try not to "lock" yourself into the pads so you have room to move forward and back/ side to side to keep control of the wheel. Remember you don't need pads to ride the wheel, many people ride without pads. They are there to assist only. I would agree with others when they say practicing "free mounting" the wheel because it's going to be the only way you will get used to balancing it quickly. Also try on a smoother surface even though the grass is more forgiving a smoother surface will get your muscle memory used to the small "corrections" you body does to keep it balanced rather than when its thrown to one side or another from uneven terrain. Some people have wrapped their wheels in foam or yoga mats to keep scratches from happening during the learning process although you should be able to catch it most of the time at slow speeds. My 5 cents, good luck and get ready to buy more wheels....:laughbounce2: The v14 is a great starter wheel though, plenty of torque.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

It determines how much "give" the euc has when you lean forward. On 100% the pedals remain mostly level while it accelerates and on 0% the pedals feel spongy and allow the EUC to tilt forward upon acceleration. I would leave that to 100% and leave the power assist off during the learning process as these allow the EUC to tilt forward and back to "assist" in acceleration and braking. However you want to get used to how it feels when the wheel is not tilting so you can recognize  the safety tilt-back when it happens. To get going you want to lean forward while pushing down on your toes and resting you shins against the front pads to keep you upright. You don't have to be leaning forward at a 45° angle to move forward just lean enough so your weight is forward and you are pushing down on your toes. Try not to "lock" yourself into the pads so you have room to move forward and back/ side to side to keep control of the wheel. Remember you don't need pads to ride the wheel, many people ride without pads. They are there to assist only. I would agree with others when they say practicing "free mounting" the wheel because it's going to be the only way you will get used to balancing it quickly. Also try on a smoother surface even though the grass is more forgiving a smoother surface will get your muscle memory used to the small "corrections" you body does to keep it balanced rather than when its thrown to one side or another from uneven terrain. Some people have wrapped their wheels in foam or yoga mats to keep scratches from happening during the learning process although you should be able to catch it most of the time at slow speeds. My 5 cents, good luck and get ready to buy more wheels....:laughbounce2: The v14 is a great starter wheel though, plenty of torque.

I can tell after reading these comments that my biggest issue is fear. I HAVE to lean fowards and quickly to go faster to ride more stable. By being afraid of falling off im going slower and therefore am more unstable. Its like a paradox. I just need to send it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christian90s said:

I can tell after reading these comments that my biggest issue is fear. I HAVE to lean fowards and quickly to go faster to ride more stable. By being afraid of falling off im going slower and therefore am more unstable. Its like a paradox. I just need to send it. 

To break this paradox, I practiced riding from point A to point B. At first it may just be a couple of feet apart. It could even be a doorway. Get yourself acquainted with accelerating from rest, and stick out your arm to grab the pole or whatever at point B. I did this going forward and backwards. Once you are comfortable with doing this, increase the distance to about 3 to 5 feet, whatever is more comfortable for you. I spend some time doing this. Once I was comfortable doing this, I increased the distance to about 10 feet.

It would also be helpful to practice free-mounting in parallel. I just go through the motion of kicking off and lifting my foot that was on the ground, but I let the foot just fall back to the ground, while moving forward. Do this for some distance. This would be similar to when someone is starting up and getting on a kick scooter. This will also help you to improve your balancing skills.

• Like 1

Ride while holding something. 

Practice mounting and dismounting by just trying to put some weight on the wheel leg. First a little and then increasingly more. It doesn't matter if you have to drag the foot on the ground a foot or two.

At first you'll put no weight on the wheel leg, but over time you'll be able to transfer more of your weight onto it without losing control. At one point you can put the other foot on the pedal. At this point don't get ahead of yourself. Try to dismount right away and practice that over and over until it feels like you've got it.

You'll have a tired wheel leg and you desperately want to rest it by putting the other foot on the pedal. That means that you aren't strong enough and you need more practice.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Christian90s said:

I HAVE to lean fowards and quickly to go faster to ride more stable.

Only a bit faster. Angular momentum can stabilise you as low as 5 kph, so don't feel you need to do that much speed to feel less wobbly.  And you'll notice that EUC speed is cumulative, and you probably wanna be careful not to find yourself going fast sooner than you are used to all the sensations and inputs required for effective braking.

Try and make weight shift movements as smooth and even as possible rather than 'fast'.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 3

On 4/26/2024 at 7:11 PM, Roadpower said:

you definitely want significant ankle protection

I always recommend calf-height touring motorcycle boots, IMO those are pretty much ideal. A thin but stiff and hard rubber sole, low heel, ankle and lower leg protection, and usually waterproof, too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Christian90s said:

It's totally okay to take it slow and to be careful. Soon you will be zooming. The important thing is to not get hurt so that you can continue learning and riding. Riding is so fun. You have the EUC that I wanted so bad, but my Z10 is always fun for me.

1 hour ago, mhpr262 said:

I always recommend calf-height touring motorcycle boots, IMO those are pretty much ideal. A thin but stiff and hard rubber sole, low heel, ankle and lower leg protection, and usually waterproof, too.

That's funny, I ride barefoot as long as it's not too cold. It gives me 100% more control and joy of riding.

16 minutes ago, woke rider said:

That's funny, I ride barefoot as long as it's not too cold. It gives me 100% more control and joy of riding.

There isnt any way in hell id ride the V14 barefoot. Its 90lbs of machine and those peddles will obliterate anything nopt protected

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, woke rider said:

And I imagine you will continue to do that until you bang your ankles with your pedals one day, which literally hurts SO much, and for so long afterwards that you'll never risk it again ! :)

• Sad 1

Doesn't the V14 has spike pedals? Wrong era?

4 hours ago, woke rider said:

Doesn't the V14 have spike pedals? Wrong era?

Edited by techyiam
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

And I imagine you will continue to do that until you bang your ankles with your pedals one day, which literally hurts SO much, and for so long afterwards that you'll never risk it again ! :)

I ride with regular sneakers - naked ankle - haven't hit once over 3 years.

Sound like a skill issue.. :) 

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Funky said:

I ride with regular sneakers - naked ankle - haven't hit once over 3 years.

Sound like a skill issue.. :) 

Oh, your turn soon then ! :) I don't remember the skill, just the pain, still, 7 years later !!

I've been hit by 3 cars since then, all of which hurt less !*

*not a fair argument - by the time there was car contact I had amazing boots and sufficient armour everywhere to render damage largely negligible.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

Curt - May i show exhibit A and B:

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

I've been hit by 3 cars since then, all of which hurt less !*

7 years later !!

*not a fair argument - by the time there was car contact I had amazing boots and sufficient armour everywhere to render damage largely negligible.

Lawyer: The guilty (aka: Cerbera longer known as "He/Him") shows that he is still requiring gear to do something simple as stepping of EUC, let alone riding his Master. Over 7 years he has not mastered his Master.. He is menace to society. If he continues riding as he has, he will hit poor old lady. 

We also have a video footage showing him hitting/hugging a man as he could not brake in time... Do i need to add anything else? 

Judge - As evidence rightfully shows, Cerbera i pronounce you guilty, also sounds like:

Spoiler

Skill ISSUE! "Hits Hammer"

6fc4f1f900d2116e5ea1bcdd1086f446_w200.gi

Spoiler

No hard fellings - just joking around. <3

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 1

Oh, your turn soon then ! :) I don't remember the skill, just the pain, still, 7 years later !!

I don't remember the pain - i just know skill. :):D 

Why would i start hitting my ankle now? I just step off the right way - bit away from pedal, not right next to pedal, which would hit me otherwise. I call that thinking a head of time. :efee8319ab: (EUC ridders should think a head of time - A LOT!)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Funky said:

Why would i start hitting my ankle now?

Because one day there will be a pothole you don't see, or some black ice, or a pedal clip, or some other surprise that sees your wheel fold / twist out under you.

If you are really lucky there will be time for skill to be a factor ! :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Because one day there will be a pothole you don't see, or some black ice, or a pedal clip, or some other surprise that sees your wheel fold / twist out under you.

If you are really lucky there will be time for skill to be a factor ! :)

Oh i have fallen many times in winter - i don't even count those. Somehow i never hit my ankle. Simply slide sideways. Little bit sore knee once. 

Well i usually watch where i ride - so pothole isn't even a possibility. Same for clippage - i don't ride close to anything. And even then - why would i hit my ankle? In most cases it will be upper body starting from knee. (From what i have experienced.)

Also - Aww no reaction about the court case play? Previous post. :D Anyways let's not chit chat anymore..

Edited by Funky
  • Sad 1

My pedals are 14" long to provide ample space for my bare foot with all of it's contact points: toes, metatarsophalangeal joints, arch, and my calcaneus. And I affixed cushy pedal covers for comfort. It's actually extremely pleasant, though it looks kind of home made, which it is. My wheel is perfect for me and my riding style. My Z10 actually takes the place of shoes and since my feIMG_0011.thumb.jpg.af4361c9076629f3c58d6cc5953c63cf.jpget are actually in contact with my wheel at all times I am more sensitive to any out of the ordinary performance issues that may arise. Here's a picture of version 3 of my suspension pedals:

• Like 1

I really do encourage you @Christian90s to be weary of putting too many barriers between yourself and your wheel. As the ol' mantra around these forums goes, "you must become one whith your wheel, young patawon" Anyhow, I'm a heavy rider too, 6 2" 245lbs. I wear a size 11 and 1/2 so I had to make my own pedals to accommodate my entire foot.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, woke rider said:

My pedals are 14" long to provide ample space for my bare foot with all of it's contact points: toes, metatarsophalangeal joints, arch, and my calcaneus. And I affixed cushy pedal covers for comfort. It's actually extremely pleasant, though it looks kind of home made, which it is. My wheel is perfect for me and my riding style. My Z10 actually takes the place of shoes and since my feIMG_0011.thumb.jpg.af4361c9076629f3c58d6cc5953c63cf.jpget are actually in contact with my wheel at all times I am more sensitive to any out of the ordinary performance issues that may arise. Here's a picture of version 3 of my suspension pedals:

maxresdefault.jpg

Simply ride 1/3 foot over pedal, sure at start it felt like you gonna slip off the pedals.. But somehow it hasn't happened. My shoe size is 13us / 46eu

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, woke rider said:

I really do encourage you @Christian90s to be weary of putting too many barriers between yourself and your wheel. As the ol' mantra around these forums goes, "you must become one whith your wheel, young patawon" Anyhow, I'm a heavy rider too, 6 2" 245lbs. I wear a size 11 and 1/2 so I had to make my own pedals to accommodate my entire foot.

Makes me laugh when i read your comment and see your wheel. :D Wood/tape/cushions onto pedals. :thumbup:

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2024 at 4:57 PM, Christian90s said:

Im not gonna lie, im a little scared to do that. Im a tall dude, 6'3. My balance needs work. I definantly need to just nut up and go all in, but all i have a helmet right now and im not trying that until I have some shin guards.

Personally, I'd recommend more than just helmet and shin-guards...

I started out and learned on the Patton which is similar size/weight, and decided with just being on grass, that helmet, knee/shin-guards, and elbow & wrist-protectors was more than enough; I had chest/back armor waiting, but figured no need for all that on a flat grass field.

That decision resulted in one helluva bruise on my lower back when I somehow managed to fall and land on top of the wheel during the first couple days of learing how to stay on the wheel longer than half-a-second or so...

On 4/26/2024 at 7:01 PM, Christian90s said:

One MAJOR positive to this thing is the exorcise. I work in an office environment and I hate just going to the gym and lifting things mindlessly. Riding this wheel is a huge workout that works my entire body. 

I think that starting out from scratch on a heavy/powerful wheel, some time/effort is required to build muscle strength in a way you likely haven't had an opportunity to work previously (even if you had spent many years doing rigorous PT...), and the body needs time to adapt.  After that, yeah - it can be a great workout, especially riding fast in high-wind ;)

Edited by Cyberwolf

8 hours ago, woke rider said:

Im sorry, but this is the funniest thing ive seen in a while lol you straight up MacGyvered that thing in there! Better be careful as that hurt bad if you wreck.

• Haha 1

Thanks, totally "MacGyvered" Don't worry I don't ride much faster than 15 miles per hour. That's about as safe as I feel like my wheel can balance me at my weight. I usually recharge my wheel at around 60% capacity because it's safer for me. My wheel sends the speed warning to me at 15mph. And I get the cut out warning alarm a lot easier on a lower charge. My upgraded pedals and power domes give me ample control. The pedals are screwed in and monster taped. They aren't going anywhere. A few times in the snow and ice here in Wyoming my pedals would pop off when I lost control on the ice. Then I would ride a little on the stock pedals, which is absolutely miserable for with my heel and toes hanging off. I actually catch a lot of air on little bumps with my power domes positioned in an aggressive manner. I ride a lot of the time with my knees bent. It's actually really a blast.

• Upvote 1