Ninebot Z10~still worth to buy in 2024?

Hi, I used to have one of these back in 2017 for about a year.

I loved the appearance and after all day to day riding experience.

As you’ve noticed it’s been about 5 years since I sold it, and I’m sort of considering to get back on EUC again.

I went through some YouTube reviews and immediately noticed suspension thing…

The price gone up adequately too, but I can get away without the need of having suspension feature.

Because I’m not up to date, and years past by so quickly, I’m counting on your discretion to listen to your advice friends…

I’m tempting to buy the Ninebot Z10 again ~ just because I know what to expect…

I’m not aware of any updates, failures or issues that possibly had happened throughout these past 5 years, so please…

Could you mindfully share your thoughts, and advice what EUC in your opinion could be compared to Z10 please?

I liked the look of Z10, the range I could get, decent speed and reliability…

It is for urban use only, mainly commuting and rides around town…

Following your advice will update my lack of knowledge, and will help me make my mind up what wheel could be better choice in 2024…

Thank you in advance.

Art.

• Like 3

Blimey, theres a member from the past! How you doing old chap?

Not sure many will know of your history as you now have a slightly different username!

Answering your question, not much has changed on the Z10 front. I had mine until last-year ish, only because my daughter was riding it but she kinda grew out of EUC so I decided it had to go otherwise it was a rapidly-depreciating paperweight. But the wheel was still going strong, as good as the day I bought it (some 3 years previous).

The only issue with the Z is the same problem that has remained for years - serviceability and spare parts. Well, not even spare parts so much as I think the boards are still available, but if you blow/brick a board then AFAIK theres no way of unlocking it to the wheel. So this fact alone may well keep folk away from them and I kinda understand why. That said if you can get a good deal on one, simply ride it until it fails then write it off, it could be worth a punt.

Other than that, maybe an 18XL which I think are still supported. But yes, most of the stuff is suspension now and with that comes an increase in cost :(

Maybe your buddy Steve has something lying around?!

• Thanks 1

Seriously though, I learned how to properly ride an EUC by learning the Z10. I learned to balance and control so that tracking isn't an issue and that transformed my riding style. And it''s fun at any speed.

• Thanks 1

Not forgetting the build quality (aside from some BMS issues) is still better than wheels today, 9 years later. A stripped down Z10 is a thing of engineering beauty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PogArtTi said:

Hi, I used to have one of these back in 2017 for about a year.

I loved the appearance and after all day to day riding experience.

As you’ve noticed it’s been about 5 years since I sold it, and I’m sort of considering to get back on EUC again.

I went through some YouTube reviews and immediately noticed suspension thing…

The price gone up adequately too, but I can get away without the need of having suspension feature.

Because I’m not up to date, and years past by so quickly, I’m counting on your discretion to listen to your advice friends…

I’m tempting to buy the Ninebot Z10 again ~ just because I know what to expect…

I’m not aware of any updates, failures or issues that possibly had happened throughout these past 5 years, so please…

Could you mindfully share your thoughts, and advice what EUC in your opinion could be compared to Z10 please?

I liked the look of Z10, the range I could get, decent speed and reliability…

It is for urban use only, mainly commuting and rides around town…

Following your advice will update my lack of knowledge, and will help me make my mind up what wheel could be better choice in 2024…

Thank you in advance.

Art.

My biggest issue with the Z10 as an experienced rider is the punishing ride. The low-profile tubeless tire transfers every small and large bump directly into the rider's body. 

Suspension is the real deal in terms of comfort, safety, control, and pure enjoyment. I simply can't ride the Z10 as fast or relaxed as I do the S22P in the same speed range over the same terrain.

Still, it's fun to ride the Z10 on known, smooth surfaces for the occasional trip down memory lane and to flirt with female fat-tire e-bikes. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GothamMike said:

What made the Z10 special?

The Z10 is very stable at slower speeds. With the low profile 4 inch wide tire, the Z10 becomes stable (self-balancing left|right) at 4 to 5 mph, while most EUCs need to be going about 8 mph to become stable, so it's good for learning on. As an example of this, a video of two guys learning to ride, and one of them is struggling on a light weight EUC with narrow tire, but quickly adapts and is able to relax on the Z10:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

The Z10 is very stable at slower speeds. With the low profile 4 inch wide tire, the Z10 becomes stable (self-balancing left|right) at 4 to 5 mph,

Totally agree, hugely stable at super low speeds, you can pretty much sit at a standstill on it lol. Largely helped by the super low pedals, density and low CofG. As a result, great wheel for slow work around people etc. But yeah, for me it was really a wheel for chilling out on smooth, non-cambered surfaces, I'm thinking coastal promenades, that sorta thing (where you also might find people bunching up therefore some slow work). I reckon it'd be awesome for something like Huntington Beach, CA :)

• Thanks 1

I actually once considered acquiring such a wheel, probably mostly because at the time it was one of the "fastest" things you could get.  But after a bit of research, I also found out that changing tires is a pain in the *ss,  and that spare parts are hard to come by.   In addition: Z10 are still sold as "new", but when were they actually produced, and how long have they been in storage with a half-charged battery that has not been exercised for perhaps several years?

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Robse said:

I actually once considered acquiring such a wheel, probably mostly because at the time it was one of the "fastest" things you could get.  But after a bit of research, I also found out that changing tires is a pain in the *ss,  and that spare parts are hard to come by.   In addition: Z10 are still sold as "new", but when were they actually produced, and how long have they been in storage with a half-charged battery that has not been exercised for perhaps several years?

Yep, you have to totally disassemble the wheel. Not for the faint at heart.

Also, there are no other known tires for the Z10 that fit. I recently purchased a Pirelli Angel with taller profile but need to order new pedal hangars to accommodate it when I get the time.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Planemo said:

Blimey, theres a member from the past! How you doing old chap?

I’ve got short memory, especially names or nicknames coming to the left ear and coming out at the opposite side too quickly 😅

Not sure many will know of your history as you now have a slightly different username!

It’s so nice you have figured out it’s me by remembering the previous nickname 👍

There’s a fewer things I’ve been up to for past years, so I slightly have had adjusted the nickname too 😅

Answering your question, not much has changed on the Z10 front. I had mine until last-year ish, only because my daughter was riding it but she kinda grew out of EUC so I decided it had to go otherwise it was a rapidly-depreciating paperweight. But the wheel was still going strong, as good as the day I bought it (some 3 years previous).

Thank you…

The only issue with the Z is the same problem that has remained for years - serviceability and spare parts. Well, not even spare parts so much as I think the boards are still available, but if you blow/brick a board then AFAIK theres no way of unlocking it to the wheel. So this fact alone may well keep folk away from them and I kinda understand why. That said if you can get a good deal on one, simply ride it until it fails then write it off, it could be worth a punt.

Understood…

That’s making sense.

My funds source is very limited, so to save enough to afford one will take me some time.

Other than that, maybe an 18XL which I think are still supported. But yes, most of the stuff is suspension now and with that comes an increase in cost :(

As you know I have time to make my mind up and consider your bunch of great advice 😉👍

Maybe your buddy Steve has something lying around?!

That’s actually is very strange case… 

We’ve lost the subject that mainly made us a good friends, and as soon as I’ve sold my Z10  our friendship literally had broken down…

I remember texting Steve, but never have had got answer back, so I’ve stopped bothering him…

There was Peter too, we used to meet up at Bradford for nice chat and enjoying our companion…

Everything felt apart after I sold Z10 you see…Peter has tried to keep in touch occasionally, it was nice to hear from him, but again ~ not having my Z10 wasn’t helping to keep boosting conversation, as I had no answer whether I’ll get on unicycle ever again any soon, if that’s making sense… Peter was mentioning his experience, his joy riding his unicycle, mentioning new wheels on the market, where I sold mine, not knowing what my next step might be… Maybe Steve has stopped talking back to me for the same reason ~ if there’s no EUC anymore, there’s hardly to keep conversation alive I think 😅👍

I used to see Steve cruising around occasionally, but I haven’t seen him for ages… I can see sometime other chap on the wheel though, but have no clue who is it…

4 hours ago, GothamMike said:

What made the Z10 special?

Not clue bro, I just felt in love looking at it, and it was my first pro~looking wheel you see…

‘This is my only excuse …

4 hours ago, woke rider said:

Seriously though, I learned how to properly ride an EUC by learning the Z10. I learned to balance and control so that tracking isn't an issue and that transformed my riding style. And it''s fun at any speed.

Honesty it’s true…

Planemo has mentioned Steve that was local to me, and Steve have had brought over his Z10 to let me try on it…

I was sold immo!?

I’ve loved everything about it that day of my first ride …

This made me to buy it 😉👍

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

Not forgetting the build quality (aside from some BMS issues) is still better than wheels today, 9 years later. A stripped down Z10 is a thing of engineering beauty. 

I’m not willing to spent crazy £££££££££ for posh wheel with posh suspension, as I’ve never had one so you know…

I think you know my point Planemo 😅

I have no car…

So to me, being an old block … spending over £3k for a wheel makes me wonder if I’m alright 😅😅😅

I’ve checked brand new Z10 then…

Being honest, I think I’m capable of saving it before the end of this year…

Obviously the sooner the better, but live is live…

I can’t predict how fast can I save it.

The pros of getting back to Z10 is obvious ~ I’m very familiar to the feel of riding it.

Artur, you're quoting yourself within my own text so I can't respond to your specific text :)

Was Peter the guy 'Gasmantle' on this forum? I deffo remember you being in a group of 3 and I'm sure Peter was on the forum. Steve is still riding AFAIK, Sherman S I believe. I know what you mean, take out the common ground and sometimes friendships just fizzle out, not from anything bad happening, it's just the way it is.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, litewave said:

My biggest issue with the Z10 as an experienced rider is the punishing ride. The low-profile tubeless tire transfers every small and large bump directly into the rider's body. 

Suspension is the real deal in terms of comfort, safety, control, and pure enjoyment. I simply can't ride the Z10 as fast or relaxed as I do the S22P in the same speed range over the same terrain.

Still, it's fun to ride the Z10 on known, smooth surfaces for the occasional trip down memory lane and to flirt with female fat-tire e-bikes. 

I have no really any pro alike experience, but Z10 you see…

I feel like dinosaur looking at these latest beauties with suspension feature…

Definitely the price will limit my ego in here my friend 👍

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Just now, PogArtTi said:

I’ve checked brand new Z10 then…

I think the only thing I would research is where these Z10's are coming from. When were they last produced by Ninebot? Are they still making them? I'm honestly not sure. But I would be worried about getting one DOA because as you may know they can phantom drain real low and although (I think) the packs do have a self cut-off to prevent cell damage, you would need to make an adaptor to charge the packs directly as it won't work through the regular charge port.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rcgldr said:

The Z10 is very stable at slower speeds. With the low profile 4 inch wide tire, the Z10 becomes stable (self-balancing left|right) at 4 to 5 mph, while most EUCs need to be going about 8 mph to become stable, so it's good for learning on. As an example of this, a video of two guys learning to ride, and one of them is struggling on a light weight EUC with narrow tire, but quickly adapts and is able to relax on the Z10:

Good point ~ thanks for video too.

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Totally agree, hugely stable at super low speeds, you can pretty much sit at a standstill on it lol. Largely helped by the super low pedals, density and low CofG. As a result, great wheel for slow work around people etc. But yeah, for me it was really a wheel for chilling out on smooth, non-cambered surfaces, I'm thinking coastal promenades, that sorta thing (where you also might find people bunching up therefore some slow work). I reckon it'd be awesome for something like Huntington Beach, CA :)

I’m commuting through very busy town centre…

Manoeuvring between crowd of people in daily basis, narrow pedestrian ways, etc…

I was appreciate to stood still when needed, spin turn, etc…

Maybe this is what may still work for me even after 5 years?

2 hours ago, Robse said:

Good point …

2 hours ago, litewave said:

Yep, you have to totally disassemble the wheel. Not for the faint at heart.

Also, there are no other known tires for the Z10 that fit. I recently purchased a Pirelli Angel with taller profile but need to order new pedal hangars to accommodate it when I get the time.

Do you ride Z10 then?