Split from: The future of Kingsong?

47 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Please use no discriminating/racist comments here.

It's made in China - Chinesium. And it wasn't meant as a discriminatingly/racist comment.. At least i didn't see it like that.

He was applauding how great first wheels were made..

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

In a word:     innovation.

Kingsong was (among?) the first to offer a telescoping retracting trolley handle, and the first (only?) that was mounted transverse. The S18 was the first wheel with suspension; the S22 was the first high-voltage 126v wheel; the S22 Pro was the first suspension wheel for big jumps; and the S9 is also an innovative toy. 

If Kingsong continues to show the courage to think different and innovate, I think they will do fine. We tend to tear down EUC manufacturers here, but considering how far we have come as a community, things are pretty damn good nowadays.

• Thanks 1

@Chriull Wait, now suddenly "chinesium" is offensive? Since when and who decided it?

It seems like a random commonly used word becomes "offensive/discriminating/racist" every week. Is there a website to keep up with new trends?

There are 72 results for "chinesium" on this forum. So yes, a very commonly used word.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

@Chriull Wait, now suddenly "chinesium" is offensive? Since when and who decided it?

It seems like a random commonly used word becomes "offensive/discriminating/racist" every week. Is there a website to keep up with new trends?

There are 72 results for "chinesium" on this forum. So yes, a very commonly used word.

Unjust discrimination is a simple concept. There are many pages to be found on the internet which explains this in detail for interested.

As it is used here more often, and in combination with other discriminations from some members we remember that this is not wanted here. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2024 at 9:49 AM, Chriull said:

Unjust discrimination is a simple concept. There are many pages to be found on the internet which explains this in detail for interested.

As it is used here more often, and in combination with other discriminations from some members we remember that this is not wanted here. 

I agree that unjust discrimination is bad. I simply fail to see discrimination in a word which means "cheap stuff from China".
I never saw it used towards a person, only towards inanimate objects.

The best analogy I can think of is Github, which ditched "master" as the default branch name in favor of "main".
It never was about "master branch" and a "slave branch", it was based on a "master recording" from CD industry.
So again, similarly misguided.

I find both of these examples arbitrary. And I simply fail to see discrimination in both of them.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

I simply fail to see discrimination in a word which means "cheap stuff from China".

Agree completely. I was going to comment a couple of weeks ago. I did not at the time, because I was disgusted at the myopic and frankly dictatorial response. 

Aluminium, Magnesium, Chinesium. The term came about as a geographical and phonetic reference to the named alloys.

Substandard metals, either by 'doctoring' the alloy percentages for profit reasons, or by poor casting methods etc. were coming out of China many years ago. I had direct work experience with the phenomenon. Sometimes VERY expensive items were not acceptable from QA perspective.

Due simply to China being the country of origin, 'Chinesium' became the term used to describe the substandard metals and alloys. Origin, construction, and simple phonetics - like the old Cockney rhyming slang. It was nothing more sinister than that. 

Companies and workers at the time I refer to, were rightly frustrated, as projects were sometimes put on hold, at great expense, whilst replacement materials were sourced. 

Fast forward to the 2020's and everything must surely have a dark connotation. Well, in that brief history example of 'the word that shall not be uttered', it does not. It made no derogatory reference to people. As stated above, it referenced substandard product and country of origin. 

In the interests of impartiality, should the word 'Americana' be prohibited also...? Food for thought. 

Edited by Voyager
  • Like 1