KS16X 100% charge but stock charger is still indicating it's charging?

BKW

Hey guys,

I recently installed a used motherboard into my ks16x. Everything works fine (diagnostics are good, and I rode it for hours, etc).

My last check to make sure everything is good is the charging aspect. I just wonder at what point should the stock KS16X charger stop charging when the battery hits 100%? Testing out this new installation, the charger does not appear to go green and stop charging when the EUC hits 100%; I also notice volts are increasing slightly on the app after 100% charge leaving the charger on it. I have not left it on after 100% charge for long because I'm afraid of putting too much energy into the batteries.

I've read the batteries need to balance itself after 100% charging, so perhaps this is what is happening? I just don't want to risk anything and unplugged the charger after 100%.

What should I expect? Should I leave the charger on it after it reads 100% in the app until the charger goes green? Or should I disconnect it once it reads 100% in the app?

I just don't want to take any chances since new motherboard installation. Suggestions?

Edited by BKW

• BKW changed the title to KS16X 100% charge but stock charger is still indicating it's charging?
7 minutes ago, BKW said:

What should I expect? Should I leave the charger on it after it reads 100% in the app until the charger goes green? Or should I disconnect it once it reads 100% in the app?

My 18xl charges to 100% and the charger ramps down the amps when it is done.  It takes an hour after the charger turns green to finish.  I monitor the power consumption with a smart plug.  The app shows 100% long before it actually ramps down the current. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paradox said:

My 18xl charges to 100% and the charger ramps down the amps when it is done.  It takes an hour after the charger turns green to finish.  I monitor the power consumption with a smart plug.  The app shows 100% long before it actually ramps down the current. 

Does your stock 16X charger show green when the wheel reaches 100% on app, or does it take a little bit for the charger to turn red to green after reaching 100% charge?

With mine, the stock charger is still red even though it says 100% on app. Not sure if I should leave it plugged in if it's reading 100% on app but still red on stock charger.

7 hours ago, BKW said:

I've read the batteries need to balance itself after 100% charging, so perhaps this is what is happening? I just don't want to risk anything and unplugged the charger after 100%.

The 100% shown in the app are wrong. This comes from "calculating" the charge % directly from the cell voltage instead of joule counting.

At the end of the first stage of charging, the constant current stage the cells reach ~4.2V with sone state of charge around 8x% as the wheel reports wrongly already 100%.

After this stage the constant voltage stage starts, were the battery is balanced, voltage rises only slightly and the battery is charged to real 100%.

7 hours ago, BKW said:

What should I expect? Should I leave the charger on it after it reads 100% in the app until the charger goes green?

Yes!

3 hours ago, BKW said:

Does your stock 16X charger show green when the wheel reaches 100% on app, or does it take a little bit for the charger to turn red to green after reaching 100% charge?

It shows green once the charging current drops below some threshold given by the charger (can often be adjusted)

Unfortunately the charger/wheel does not stop charging automatically - it's not really something to worry about to much if it stays on zhe charger after it went green.

If one does not like this one can use some timer or EUC world and a shelly smart plug.

Just be carefull - afair some ks16x firmware/motherboard versions do not shut off the wheel after the charger is shut off, so they drain the batteries... :(

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Chriull

Thanks for your response. I'm just weary of these things lately and don't want to risk anything.

I see that you mention the app is reading the 100% charge wrong, and that it is OK to leave the charger on until it turns green.

One last question:

The KS16X is a 84V wheel. Should I be concerned if the app is reading an increase of 84+ volts while charging? Or should the charging stop when it reaches 84V exactly? For example, when I was looking on the app it was reading somewhere between 84.12 - 84.23 volts and counting. Perhaps the app is reading the volts wrong, but at what volt level might I be concerned the volts are too high for the KS16X? Is this 84+ volts reading normal while charging?

EDIT: I am charging it now and what I've noticed is the voltage has stopped on the app at 84.50V and the current is dropping closer and closer to zero. As a laymen, this looks like it's doing the right thing. I'm assuming when the current gets to a certain level the charger will turn green (it appears to be going in the right direction).

Edited by BKW

1 hour ago, BKW said:

@Chriull

Thanks for your response. I'm just weary of these things lately and don't want to risk anything.

I see that you mention the app is reading the 100% charge wrong, and that it is OK to leave the charger on until it turns green.

Not only ok but much better as the cells get balanced!

1 hour ago, BKW said:

One last question:

The KS16X is a 84V wheel. Should I be concerned if the app is reading an increase of 84+ volts while charging?

It's the motherboard measurement of the wheel that's reported and this is not too accurate. If your have an accurate voltmeter you could adjust the charger to output a voltage so that the battery reaches "exactly" 84V. But some tenth of volts do not matter. Divided per 20 cells it's just some 0.5mV per cell!

1 hour ago, BKW said:

Or should the charging stop when it reaches 84V exactly? For example, when I was looking on the app it was reading somewhere between 84.12 - 84.23 volts and counting. Perhaps the app is reading the volts wrong, but at what volt level might I be concerned the volts are too high for the KS16X? Is this 84+ volts reading normal while charging?

The BMS stops charging as soon as one single cell reaches about 4.25V. So this safety mechanism is already build in and you will never see too high measurements as BMS would have cut off charging before.

1 hour ago, BKW said:

EDIT: I am charging it now and what I've noticed is the voltage has stopped on the app at 84.50V and the current is dropping closer and closer to zero. As a laymen, this looks like it's doing the right thing. I'm assuming when the current gets to a certain level the charger will turn green (it appears to be going in the right direction).

Exactly. For whatever reason these KS wheels afair tend to _show_ around 84.5V once fully charged - for whatever reason this is adjusted  this way. And once green it should be disconnected (and reassured that the wheel is turned off)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Chriull said:

For whatever reason these KS wheels afair tend to _show_ around 84.5V once fully charge

Yes indeed, corresponds to my 18XLs.
KS 67.2V EUCs also end up reading a bit high with 67.5V or so.

UPDATE:

I've had the charger on the KS16X for roughly 43 minutes after the app has read 100% charge. Currently the stock charger has turned red to green some time ago. Right now the voltage on the KS app reads 84.50V and the charge has gone from negative charge (charging the wheel) to roughly 0.25A, which is my assumption some kind of "trickle charge". Everything appears to be normal. :thumbup:

I also have an aftermarket charger that is labeled as fast charger that brings both chargers together when plugged into the wheel around 5amps or so (I think). I also plugged this charger into the wheel, along with the stock KS charger, to see if the faster charger also showed a green light (it did).