Would You Buy a V14 in 2024?

Lillian

I paid to pre-order it last year but it's a new year and now I'm looking to wait for what's new in the Inmotion line. Yet I am getting the option to pay in full because it's ready to ship.

45 minutes ago, peytole said:

Go LYNX !!!

If you want to face plant maybe or not be able to ride it in the rain.:roflmao: I paid for my v14 last week and am looking forward to getting it this week.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

There were only two outages on the Lynx and the problem was resolved within 24 hours. It weighs the same as the V14! And the plastic fairings of the V14 will not last long.... the wheel is not very well designed and is fragile. Zenlee had a cutoff during her test. And in recent years, we have lost count of the number of inmotion wheels that have had major CM problems.... good luck

• Haha 1

For myself, I wouldn't buy a V14 nor Lynx just yet. I would consider a V13 though, albeit a big and heavy wheel.

Both ForwardnBak and Johnny Go Vroom aren't all that enthused at the moment with their V14's.

I suspect in about 6 months to a year's time, both wheels will be issue-free, and ride great.

Based on my V12 experience, I bought the 2nd. batch (probably first retail production batch, not a demo batch), and had to deal with potential cutout and long wait time for fixes). After waiting for six month+, got the new driver board, and new firmware. Then some time passed by, a new Inmotionapp came out which allowed, factory reset. After all that, the V12 definitely rode way better than when I first got it. It's like a different wheel. IMO, the V12 can hold its own against a finely tuned S22 and Abrams.

On hindsight, I found that buying year+ old wheels turned out to work better, cheaper, and a lot less stress.

I am really happy with my S22 and Abrams. All the issues were known and more or less solved. If not, I knew exactly what I got to do. A very large part of the improvement came in the form of firmware.

I don't like to unbox a new wheel paying full price, and then have to go through the hassle and frustration of dealing with issues and the long wait time for fixes.

Additionally, rumour has it that Huawei injected some funds into Inmotion (Hsiang?). I like to see the result of that.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Both ForwardnBak and Johnny Go Vroom aren't all that enthused at the moment with their V14's.

That's strange, Johnny go vroom said it's the most powerful wheel he's ever ridden and forward and back seemed happy after the firmware update. Did you watch different video's?

7 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

That's strange, Johnny go vroom said it's the most powerful wheel he's ever ridden and forward and back seemed happy after the firmware update. Did you watch different video's?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

2:38 -2:43 "the bottom end torque is just the best i have ever experienced with any wheel hands down"

We get that he's not happy about Inmotions service during the Chinese New year break, go figure and complains about the few known issues in the beginning.

If you will also notice, he mentions an attempt at a "collaboration" with wrong way who has been bashing Inmotion wheels ever since their little argument so it's not very hard to see the ulterior motive behind this review. After all he only has 1,200 subscribers and wrong way has 65,000. Seems pretty clear to me.

What was the negative thing Forward n bak said after the firmware update? He also seemed pretty happy with the communication and result he received from inmotion after reporting the  problem. He even said they were buying him anew camera, have you seen any other company do that?

3 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

2:38 -2:43 "the bottom end torque is just the best i have ever experienced with any wheel hands down"

It does seem like that is the consensus, so that low end torque would be one of the positives. 

6 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

We get that he's not happy about Inmotions service during the Chinese New year break, go figure and complains about the few known issues in the beginning.

I thought about that too, but it may be more than that. 

7 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

If you will also notice, he mentions an attempt at a "collaboration" with wrong way who has been bashing Inmotion wheels ever since their little argument so it's not very hard to see the ulterior motive behind this review. After all he only has 1,200 subscribers and wrong way has 65,000. Seems pretty clear to me

Johnny Go Vroom has or had a close relationship with Inmotion. He is very pro Inmotion in the past.

He has been singing praises about the V14 for some time now. At least, up until this last video.

10 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

What was the negative thing Forward n bak said after the firmware update? He also seemed pretty happy with the communication and result he received from inmotion after reporting the  problem. He even said they were buying him anew camera, have you seen any other company do that?

Ever since his cutout, he hasn't been so upbeat with his V14. He seemed to be more focused on his Lynx.

Since you are getting one now, you must be happy with what you know about it.

I am not at that point yet.

I would prefer to get an Inmotion for my next wheel, but it has to be an upgrade to my S22.

Right now, I don't think it is there yet.

I think the Lynx is closer, but it costs more, and I would still have to wait to see how it improves in the next few batches.

• Like 1

I guess I am part of the crowd that doesn't see the appeal to the V14, but I would say this goes also for most new wheels. I have yet to find a wheel that makes me feel like I need to buy it since I already have the V13. 

The V13 isn't perfect, but because it is over-engineered in the places that matter, I just feel safe riding the thing. I'm not worried about a cutout, or some other technical failure. No other wheel coming out has put such focus on those kinds of safety features. It would be good if EUC companies would iterate on designs instead of always starting over and coming out with something totally new. 

That said that V14 is impressive. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

The V13 isn't perfect, but because it is over-engineered in the places that matter, I just feel safe riding the thing. I'm not worried about a cutout

Agreed, i have hit the beeps/tilt back one time on acceleration and i noticed it right away and let off. When i went back to look it all made sense.

119-amp-run.jpg

Thankfully the tilt back works well, disaster averted...:D I want the v14 for a strictly off road wheel since that's most of what i do and the v13  lacks torque from a standstill and climbing hills slowly. Love it over the road though.

10 minutes ago, techyiam said:

But the V13 still accelerates well, right?

I think so, i am only using 45% acceleration assist and it seems good to me. In the EUC world screen shot i posted I happen to be trying to catch up to a car going by me at 45mph while i was doing 5mph and i did in a few hundred feet. I only have the v11 so i cant speak to how it performs against other EUC's in that category but @OMGitsRAAZ has a video of him head to head with his buddy and he's on a v13 and his buddy is on an ex30 and he smokes him. Nothing definitive but seems faster than that euc and people say that one is fast with "Begode" acceleration.

i love my v13's obviously.

the last two haven't been touched other than the kickstand install and vicious tape on the pedals. when hou's and mine new pedal hanger design gets here. look out!

i see inmotion is selling them for around $3200. that is a bargain. but three is enough for now.

V14 for off road action  16 inch
V14 for urban acrobatics and fast moves 16 inch  
V13 for fast riding on roads with no traffic lights  22 inch 
V13 No acrobatics and acceleration is pretty slowmo 

Inmotion was - WAS making a name for themselves in terms of Quality/ safety, customer support. They were aiming to be #1.

And then the investors ( overlords) pushed Bob out, or changed the plan / philosophy so much that he got fed up and left.

An EUC HAS TO BE RELIABLE. PERIOD.

I may have bought my last euc. But then I’m just an old fart. What do I know.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

And then the investors ( overlords) pushed Bob out, or changed the plan / philosophy so much that he got fed up and left.

seen this "narrative" a few times now and @Bob Yan has never really said what happened aside from they had different ideas on some issues. He has never spoke negatively about Inmotion and maybe, just maybe he wanted to pursue his own business. So now does that make everyone running Inmotion bad? It's like saying now that the line cook at a restaurant left and now the restaurant is totally junk and headed in the wrong direction.  The funniest part is it's always someone who doesn't own any Inmotion wheels currently. My v14 should be here this week and i am looking forward to having the latest and greatest technology as well as one of the safest wheels in terms of waterproofing and technology. Let's look at the Insides of a few new wheels shall we?

veteran-sherman-s.png

comander-pro.png

begode-master.png

kingson-s19.png

ex30.png

v14-inside.png

Now let's all try and guess by these pictures of the electronics inside these wheels which company is "in crisis!!"

• Upvote 2

I probably should not be allowed anywhere around a keyboard when I’ve had any alcohol. I get pessimistic and cynical.

When I’m riding these things I’m in love with them. When I’m reading about all the QC problems people have with them, I don’t love them so much. Hope your new wheel works well for ya Joe. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

I probably should not be allowed anywhere around a keyboard when I’ve had any alcohol.

haha, all good. I have the same problem some times. I didn't really take offense to it, i'm just very opinionated.

8 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

Hope your new wheel works well for ya Joe. 

Thanks for the support, believe me i will let everyone know if it's not up to snuff as well as any problems i have with it like i did the v13.

16 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

seen this "narrative" a few times now and @Bob Yan has never really said what happened aside from they had different ideas on some issues. He has never spoke negatively about Inmotion and maybe, just maybe he wanted to pursue his own business. So now does that make everyone running Inmotion bad? It's like saying now that the line cook at a restaurant left and now the restaurant is totally junk and headed in the wrong direction.  The funniest part is it's always someone who doesn't own any Inmotion wheels currently. My v14 should be here this week and i am looking forward to having the latest and greatest technology as well as one of the safest wheels in terms of waterproofing and technology. Let's look at the Insides of a few new wheels shall we?

Now let's all try and guess by these pictures of the electronics inside these wheels which company is "in crisis!!"

To be fair, nobody said that IM was in crisis because of how well the internal wiring was done on a particular EUC. I think we can agree that the V14's wiring internally looks pretty good, the GT Pro looks disastrous, etc.

Also, you are (likely unintentionally) misrepresenting some facts. Johnny Go Vroom and Adam @ Wrong Way were planning to collaborate on a song, not an "I hate InMotion" (or similar) video. Johnny makes music as a hobby and wanted to make something EUC related. They are not incentivized to complain about the issues that they have experienced - quite the opposite, actually. They both were given V14s by IM - so I wouldn't immediately dismiss what they have to say about it and claim that they have a vendetta against the company.

Fortunately, it seems like the safety related issues have been finally ironed out on the V14, so I suspect (and hope) your experience with it will be wonderful and mostly problem-free. Just ensure you update that firmware before you ride it 😊

36 minutes ago, WheelGoodTime said:

To be fair, nobody said that IM was in crisis because of how well the internal wiring was done on a particular EUC. I think we can agree that the V14's wiring internally looks pretty good

I think you missed the point, although i only posted a picture of the v14 internals. I could have posted the internal of several newer Inmotion wheels to prove my point and chose not to. It's not about just the internal wiring however it specifically illustrates which companies are taking safety serious and actually engineering wheels instead of slapping them together "in the back yard".

41 minutes ago, WheelGoodTime said:

Also, you are (likely unintentionally) misrepresenting some facts

I can only assume this is in reference to my comments on @Finn Bjerke's thread about Johnny go Vroom's video. If that is the case. then i was not "misrepresenting facts". I giving my opinion on why out of the blue Johnny changed his tune as well as my opinion on why Adam(wrong way) has been an Inmotion trash talker ever since the went back and forth a few years ago when Inmotion called him out on a video. That was also my opinion since the statement ended with " i could be wrong"

53 minutes ago, WheelGoodTime said:

Fortunately, it seems like the safety related issues have been finally ironed out on the V14

I know of one issue, is there more than one? I noticed you used the word issues and am wondering if i missed something other than the firmware bug.

IMO Marty's hall sensor problem wasn't safety related since the wheel prevented him from riding it like that. As well as it being an isolated incident. Nor would i consider sticky sliders one either so correct me if I'm wrong.

14 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

s batterees

Are The beeeS kneeees

From what i understand about them (which isn't much) they have a higher discharge rate, so if you are "getting on it" all of the time then you should wait but if not i don't think there is much difference  between the gb and the s. I just got mine today and it's blowing 20-30mph out there so haven't really had a chance to try it out but it's definitely zippy and the suspension spring is definitely firm, it moves for me but i'm around 200lbs suited up and my new shock doesn't come for a few days. Certainly can't handle the wind like the v13 can but it's a smaller wheel so it's expected.

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe