Voltage step down

Jacky Heshi

Maybe some regulator-ICs can handle the voltage of an EUC battery (up to around 67V), but most cannot handle voltages above 35-40V or so, and the large(ish) current could also pose problems with heat. Probably you'll need a step-down (buck) -converter? I've got some pre-made converters from Aliexpress, but the ones meant for higher voltages & currents are relatively large (to insert inside an EUC), probably still doable though. What do you need it for?

5 hours ago, Gimlet said:

It would be nice if it was possible to access the 12v supply that most wheels use to operate their warning beepers.

Probably very little currant available though.

Aren't most wheel control boards & lights (&buzzers) running at 5v?

Gotway and KingSong provide extra power output @5V via the usb, so something like this would work best if the on-board converter isn't enough (or if you just want to be extra-safe)

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/DC-DC-isolated-buck-module-32_60352297932.html

@Jacky Heshi for 12V you could use this @1.5A

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/DC-DC-Power-Adjustable-Converter-12_60396016184.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.YnY21R

but 5A is a lot! found this though, but it wouldn't fit in an EUC... maybe for 5A you could use it without the massive heat sink?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Isolated-dc-dc-step-down-converter_783037028.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.3TMOAH

I have one of these, and I've tested it with the Firewheel-battery, but I don't know if it can really put out 100W / 10A (or more like whether it won't overheat at such current / power output):

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Step-down-Transformer-Electric-Bike-DC-Converter-Adapter-36V-48V-72V-TO-12V-10A/32358226204.html

Working Power: ≤100W (please use within this power)
 Dimensions: 9X5X3.5CM (length X width X height)

5A @ 12V should be 60W, so still within the 100W limit. That seller apparently no longer sells it, but probably you can easily find similar ones. Then it's "only" the problem of changing/adding connectors & fitting it inside a wheel... while 9 x 5 x 3.5cm doesn't sound much, there rarely is much extra space inside the wheel. Also might need some extra sealing so it won't take in water/dust.

I don't need the device to fit inside the unicycle. I want to parallel the voltage step down to the charging port so I can connect the 12v to my iMax B6 Lipo charger. I am involved in my other hobby, Drone Racing, where I want to be able to charge my 4s lipos on the field while using the unicycle's massive battery

Do these voltage step down get hot? I won't mind if they are warm. 

15 minutes ago, Jacky Heshi said:

I don't need the device to fit inside the unicycle. I want to parallel the voltage step down to the charging port so I can connect the 12v to my iMax B6 Lipo charger. I am involved in my other hobby, Drone Racing, where I want to be able to charge my 4s lipos on the field while using the unicycle's massive battery

Do these voltage step down get hot? I won't mind if they are warm. 

I'd have to measure it with some load to see (and I doubt I will at least tonight, as I've been "enjoying" a persistent flu for the last week, which makes me feel like I was driven over by a bus all the time ;)), but I see one problem in your plan: if there's a reverse polarity protection diode in the charging side of the battery, you won't likely get any current out of the charging port. Better check that first before getting any step-down converters. If there is, the only option is probably either bypassing the diode from the BMS or using the discharge side of the BMS (which requires punching a hole and adding a connector to your wheel)..?

Archived