Long time stocked Euc in shop

It is not ideal because cells wear over time, but as long as it's been properly stored (cool temp, around 50% charge) and have not drained its battery on its own, you should be fine. Depends of the price I'd say. I received a fully 4 year old 18XL (not very happy because seller didn't inform on it) but it's been perfectly fine. I have also stored a 18XL close to a year with pretty much no voltage drop.

However, 2020-2022(?) KS had some firmwares that would drain the battery, I dont know if it stopped draining at some point or went all the way down, you might want to look it up. If it doesn't go bellow say 40% it shouldn't be a problem. That drain coud be deactivated (power on off) so probably KS shipped them without it.

Edited by null
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks mate, the price is 1500 euros , Its not easy to know if it was well stocked with 50% battery cause they could let it for 3 years draining and before sell, open box and charge it to 50%

by the way the drain is still here with recent firmwares unfortunately , I have a ks 16x (2023 edition) with 2.20 firmware, its draining at the end of charging if I dont on/off the wheel.

Yes hard to know what the gamble is worth. My old stock 18XL was also 1500 and had I known I might have tried discussing price with an Ali seller, not sure if that works for Switzerland though.

As for the firmware it’s close to 4 years, crazy they haven’t sorted it out yet. I could see a use for protecting the batteries I case of inactivity, but then they could at least leave 24h so the perso can ride the next day, lower to 90% then wait a few weeks before lowering to storage voltage..

AFAIK part of the cell balancing happens after the charge, and interrupting that too early doesn’t sound ideal, the 18XL BMS not having cell voltage reading..

• Like 1

I'm from Paris like you (salut ^^ ) , Switzerland was my old location (like my wheels btw, I need to change my profile , I have 16s and 16x )

Yeah cell voltage reading would be so useful here

Edited by Leionar27

Cool, salut salut!

In that case you could probably get a quite good price on Ali, there was recently someone on the french forum that got a 16X for something like 1550€ and while slow shipping from China I believe, it was the latest version (with the wonky pads). 18XL generally costs the same..

Edited by null
  • Like 1

Ah, in that case,  I didn't know they where gone.. Thats too bad as there is nothing to replace it, I guess the 16X is the closest.
I got my "oldstock" from kingsong.ie . That place would be fairly safe because stock is old enough not to have the drain (mine was around 50% like KS ships) but then it is just too expensive for the age. Maybe you could consider a second hand one. I should suggest mine because I have too many wheels, but then it breaks my heart a little(!)

Maybe we could exchange for a few weeks if you want to try the 18XL over some time (to see if its worth the difference with the 16X), as long as you are past the period where one make the wheels fall ^ _ ^

Edited by null

14 hours ago, null said:

Ah, in that case,  I didn't know they where gone.. Thats too bad as there is nothing to replace it, I guess the 16X is the closest.
I got my "oldstock" from kingsong.ie . That place would be fairly safe because stock is old enough not to have the drain (mine was around 50% like KS ships) but then it is just too expensive for the age. Maybe you could consider a second hand one. I should suggest mine because I have too many wheels, but then it breaks my heart a little(!)

Maybe we could exchange for a few weeks if you want to try the 18XL over some time (to see if its worth the difference with the 16X), as long as you are past the period where one make the wheels fall ^ _ ^

Thanks mate, But I know perfectly how is it to ride on 18xl , I had one before my 16x, and I did 10 000 km on this wheel ^^

I just want to rebuy it cause its really an awesome wheel , but I really appreciate ur proposal here , thanks.

I don't really trust second hand purchases, u don't really know if the owner for example opened his wheel and did some mistakes , or if He rode long times under rain etc

4 hours ago, Nostris said:

If the wheel takes a charge, it should be OK.  Can you ask the seller to check if the batteries are still good?  

Yep I can and I will =D

Edited by Leionar27
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Leionar27 said:

Thanks mate, But I know perfectly how is to ride on 18xl , I had one before my 16x, and I did 10 000 km on this wheel ^^

What happened to the old 18XL? 

@Leionar27 I just got a list of ali seller Road Knight's EU stock, and it seems he has the 18XL there.
Not all his items are listed on ali, you can try a DM. (I've had fair enough experience with him in the past)

S7677b14d9e5c4df6b56f705f2e8884e25.png.webp.f6c0e0b80c80ab6d78be9b3efca0c35e.webp

Edited by null

33 minutes ago, null said:

@Leionar27 I just got a list of ali seller Road Knight's EU stock, and it seems he has the 18XL there.
Not all his items are listed on ali, you can try a DM. (I've had fair enough experience with him in the past)

S7677b14d9e5c4df6b56f705f2e8884e25.png.webp.f6c0e0b80c80ab6d78be9b3efca0c35e.webp

oh thanks mate , I'm gonna text him 

Edited by Leionar27

On 2/22/2024 at 12:23 AM, alcatraz said:

A wheel with a healthy pack should charge to the final voltage and stay there after the charger is disconnected for a while. The app readings can be off so a multimeter might be needed.

okay thanks !

@null I was totally wrong about battery drain on my ks 16x 2023 edition, I thought it was draining at the end of charge cause I was always seeing  83.7 volt compared to 84.5 V when I had a 18xl back in time.

But its totally normal apparently that it shows 83.7 V.

(and yesterday I didn't switch on/off 16x after full charge on purpose, today it's still at 83.7 V)

Edited by Leionar27
  • Like 1

Cool you checked and got back with info.
It can be just a bad reading like alcatraz mentioned, 0,8V is within voltmeter margin AFAIK. It can also be the charger that has a lower voltage. I would suggest that you try the 16X charger on the 18XL when it arrives, which will give a second opinion on the end voltage. If the 16X charger ends up with a low voltage on both wheels, and not the 18XL charger, you might consider turning up the end voltage of the 16X charger, to be sure balancing may be done. (It's a potentiometer inside).

• Like 1