App reports 100% battery after a ride, but charger shows red light and current flowing

This is the opposite of the problem we're all used to.  I was just out riding lightly for about 1/2 hour, so must have used some battery.  But the app is reporting 100% battery charge and about 83.5V (out of 84 capacity).  The charger light is red, indicating its charging, and the app shows about -2.6A current flowing, which I assume means its charging (not sure if its usually negative!).  This is with the KingSong S18 and stock charger.  I've tried both Darknessbot and KingSong app and both show the same.  Any ideas?

signal-2024-02-03-193613.jpeg

Edited by Foo Barstein
adding screenshot

12 hours ago, Foo Barstein said:

But the app is reporting 100% battery charge and about 83.5V (out of 84 capacity). 

The 100% cover quite a big voltage range - the range from a bit below 83V up to 84V is shown as 100%.

As charge % is directly (linear) computed from the  battery voltage this is just a very rough estimation. And very off during discharge or charge.

12 hours ago, Foo Barstein said:

The charger light is red, indicating its charging, and the app shows about -2.6A current flowing,

Once the battery voltage is below the max (charger no load) voltage of about ~84V the battery is charged  with the specified constant current.

Just, afaik some inmotion wheels have some "charge hysteresis"

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2024 at 1:49 AM, Foo Barstein said:

This is the opposite of the problem we're all used to.  I was just out riding lightly for about 1/2 hour, so must have used some battery.  But the app is reporting 100% battery charge and about 83.5V (out of 84 capacity).  The charger light is red, indicating its charging, and the app shows about -2.6A current flowing, which I assume means its charging (not sure if its usually negative!).  This is with the KingSong S18 and stock charger.  I've tried both Darknessbot and KingSong app and both show the same.  Any ideas?

This is absolutely normal, this is how battery works and, finally, this is a proof that voltage is not a direct measure of a battery state of charge, especially when charging. What you've experienced is transition from constant current (CC) to constant voltage (CV) charging phase. Depending on charging current, battery voltage will reach it's max value well before battery is charged to the full (usually in 70 - 90 % range). The higher charging current is, the sooner voltage will reach it's max value. But charging is still not completed; at this phase (transition from CC to CV) as voltage stabilizes, charging current will gradually decrease. When cahrging current will drop to a value of about 0.2 A, charging indicator LED will light green and you can consider this as an indication of full battery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1