2024 Begode Falcon - 14", Suspension, 100 V, 900 Wh, 1000 W Motor

techyiam

35 minutes ago, Rider1 said:

May I add to that:

How easy is it to overpower from a standstill compared to the 18XL?

Meh if one is trying to go 1-25mph fast as possible - i think any wheel can be easily overpowered. On daily bases i never overpower my 18xl. But if i wanna - i can do that very easily. Where it starts blaring beeps/voice alerts.

Falcon being 100V - it should be harder to overpower. At least i think? But yeah, i also would like to know this. :)

Edited by Funky

21 minutes ago, Funky said:

Meh if one is trying to go 1-25mph fast as possible - i think any wheel can be easily overpowered. On daily bases i never overpower my 18xl. But if i wanna - i can do that very easily. Where it starts blaring beeps/voice alerts.

Falcon being 100V - it should be harder to overpower. At least i think? But yeah, i also would like to know this. :)

I'd like to know it because I'd also use it as a trail wheel, and when you are in a tight space in front of some roots/rocks/an incline, torque from standstill matters a lot :)

7 hours ago, techyiam said:

If you don't mind, can you expand on the specifics as to what makes the Falcon superior to the S16 Pro? When you say routes, do you mean riding on streets in the city?

I have briefly ridden the S16 Pro, and I thought it rode really well. It's is responsive, nimble and easy to control. Plus it respond well when pushed in sharp turns at low speeds. The Falcon would be incredible if it rides better than the S16 Pro.

I am interested in hearing how the Falcon is worlds better than the S16 Pro too. I am deciding between the two and the significantly stronger motor on the S16 Pro seems like it would be torquier and zippier.

From what I followed though, @slippyfeet had very bad experience with the S16 Pro's software and not necessarily the ride quality?

Edited by BlueCrow

1 hour ago, BlueCrow said:

I am interested in hearing how the Falcon is worlds better than the S16 Pro too. I am deciding between the two and the significantly stronger motor on the S16 Pro seems like it would be torquier and zippier.

From what I followed though, @slippyfeet had very bad experience with the S16 Pro's software and not necessarily the ride quality?

Watch this video for ~3 minutes. (From linked time.) If what he says is true - you got your answer.. 

Falcon made it with smooth street tire, where S16 (non-pro) could not do it with knobby. It seems Falcon is stronger in real world..? Also it has somehow more range, so i have heard going each wheel average speed.

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Watch this video for ~3 minutes. (From linked time.) If what he says is true - you got your answer.. 

Falcon made it with smooth street tire, where S16 (non-pro) could not do it with knobby. It seems Falcon is stronger in real world..? Also it has somehow more range, so i have heard going each wheel average speed.

I've watched that and I don't know whether Roger failed that hill on the non-pro S16 due to the motor giving out or not, but I believe it also had to do with Marty's less-than-ideal pad placement on the S16. As you probably know, Roger is very peculiar on pads placement.

I've seen the 2cells1pack dude with the Kingsong team do some very convincing hard trail riding in the mountains on the S16 Pro.

Edited by BlueCrow
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BlueCrow said:

I am deciding between the two and the significantly stronger motor on the S16 Pro seems like it would be torquier and zippier.

Smaller diameter will always feel torquier and zippier than larger diameter despite the motor power. If that’s what you’re looking for then get smaller diameter wheel. Motor power matters when you’re at the very edge of performance limits like really really steep incline (like 45 degreed) or massive acceleration. Otherwise if you don’t run out of torque you don’t really feel the difference. The feeling of zippiness is mostly tire diameter and software. But luckily we will get adapted to every wheel.

—-

Personally I’m looking at the Falcon as a second smaller wheel for small errands. But still on the fence about it. I think the defining aspect will be that wide tire. I’m not sure why it has to be wide. What’s the benefit? The negative is possibly feeling like Z10, which most riders dislike. S16 is a bit heavier but feels traditional and can do more. And then there’s the mten5 which is smaller and cheaper as a second wheel to carry around. Only lacking suspension but that’s ok for the usage. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BondZero07 said:

Falcon vs V11 ... What do you think about this 2 wheels ?

Also, how is the zippiness/agility compared to the V11 and the KS14? Is the Falcon right in the middle or more towards one than the other?

37 minutes ago, slippyfeet said:

First ride in the books. Started at 93%, low battery beeps at 20%, got home with 11%. 27 miles.

Intuitive transition imo to the point that I subconsciously ride it the same exact way/speed - touch 50kph tiltback once, then cruise around 35-40. Power feels like my 84Vs, just delivery is smoother and without all the grunting. On properly manicured roads the difference is trivial, but in pothole world it feels big time safer. Not squirrelly at all. The street tire 'gyro effect' I didn't have a problem with, It does want to knock you back upright if you get lazy with your feet which is somewhat similar to the physical nature of 18XL behavior - a benefit for a wheel of this size I would say. Suspension felt too firm initially but proved well dialed out of the box for the road bumps I encountered.  I'm only 145lb/66kg geared, sags about 20mm/0.75" when I get on. Leaving it as-is. Stock pads work for me. Size 9.5(~42 EUR) mtb shoes, No hangups or heel rubbing. Begode Pedals are very large coming from KS stuff. Carrying it in both methods is fine as the weight feels identical to 18XL, just a lot more girth. Of course disengaging the motor is not nearly as intuitive as KS's setup but I don't personally need to utilize it more than once or twice per session. Button access and layout is fine after a few rounds of use and muscle memory.

IMG_3862.jpg

So you're saying that there is no difference? If you don't have potholes.. :efeeab781c: I'm riding around 25-30kph on daily commutes. That "extra" power not really needed.

Maybe i should buy Mten4 and duck it.. 280lbs on Mten4 should look @Funky. Just my style.. :D Sadly i'm not that crazy yet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

So you're saying that there is no difference? If you don't have potholes.. :efeeab781c: I'm riding around 25-30kph on daily commutes. That "extra" power not really needed.

Maybe i should buy Mten4 and duck it.. 280lbs on Mten4 should look @Funky. Just my style.. :D Sadly i'm not that crazy yet.

I thought the falcon would be your dream wheel and you could stop complaining about all the new wheels! lol

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

I thought the falcon would be your dream wheel and you could stop complaining about all the new wheels! lol

Why would i stop doh..? I still will need to find next, next big (small) thing. While they keep making dumb designs - i will complain.. And who said that Falcon is my dream wheel? It's 5kg over my dream wheel weight and it doesn't have centered carry handle with lift button.

All i said was: It's my #1 contender - because there aren't anything better built right now in somewhat lightweight class. Doesn't mean it's my dream wheel. :D That's coming from a guy who doesn't like almost any other wheels means something.. Falcon is built pretty well and is water-resistant. 

• Like 1

The tilt angle resets after changing.  Anyone know if this will be fixed.  Really don't like default of 4

2 hours ago, Funky said:

Why would i stop doh..? I still will need to find next, next big (small) thing. While they keep making dumb designs - i will complain.. And who said that Falcon is my dream wheel? It's 5kg over my dream wheel weight and it doesn't have centered carry handle with lift button.

All i said was: It's my #1 contender - because there aren't anything better built right now in somewhat lightweight class. Doesn't mean it's my dream wheel. :D That's coming from a guy who doesn't like almost any other wheels means something.. Falcon is built pretty well and is water-resistant. 

Only a 15 lb difference between this and the s16 pro. I personally would go s16 pro as a commuter but everybody has different needs/use cases. If you think the Falcon is too heavy the s16 pro is not going to be up your alley either. What about the new mten5?

RE: S16 Pro vs Falcon. Well I don't have a Falcon but I do have the A2 (350 miles), same size tire, and the S16 Pro (700 miles). Marty's comparison makes them seem very similar but from my, (limited) experience I would say the S16 is going to be a more capable wheel in virtually every use case except where the lighter weight and more maneuverable size is the prime deciding factor. I can do figure 8s in my Livingroom on the A2, the S16, no way. The A2 is lots of fun, great for errands where I only need a bike helmet and wrist guards, easy to pack in the car. On the other hand, on the A2, past 20mph the thing gets a bit squirrely (for me anyway); the s16 is solid at 30mph and above. The caveat here is that I have modified the S16 to make it better (for me). First I removed the speakers, just not my thing and they are heavy. Then I mounted a plate for velcro and decent set of pads; the stock pads just don't cut it. Also I replaced the stock shock with an upgrade piggyback  DNM  unit and a 450lb spring which works great for my 150lb riding weight. The 750lb stock unit was way too stiff. Finally, the stock S16 tire is a good allrounder but it lacks traction in loose dirt (as demonstrated in Marty's video) my next upgrade will be the Shinko 241 which will make the S16 into quite a nice little trail wheel. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

Only a 15 lb difference between this and the s16 pro. I personally would go s16 pro as a commuter but everybody has different needs/use cases. 

And S16 pro is worse wheel in build department. :D Also quite bigger.

3 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

What about the new mten5?

Don't like it's small tire and that it's carry handle is screwed onto motherboard top cover - meaning all weight while carrying it around are transferred unto screws and unto plastics around them. Any harsher pickup, janking it upwards, etc.. Over time that plastic cover around screws will crack, same as A2.. (See, i complain - because it' stupid!)

Also it's build is kind of jank.. That silicone "sock" probably will go bad in year or two.. But most people probably don't look that far in future while owning a EUC.. They gonna change their wheel, same as "sock", before year or two have passes.. :D 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 3:48 AM, techyiam said:

If you don't mind, can you expand on the specifics as to what makes the Falcon superior to the S16 Pro?
It's is responsive, nimble and easy to control. Plus it respond well when pushed in sharp turns at low speeds. The Falcon would be incredible if it rides better than the S16 Pro.

On 6/29/2024 at 10:52 AM, BlueCrow said:

I'm not a trail goer nor am I into performance specs/numbers/speed so take my experience with a grain of salt -
The S16 Pro is without a doubt a stronger torquier wheel, and with that said it also felt a lot heavier and bulkier. For my weight it took more effort to get the wheel to accelerate and with the larger motor inertia felt I needed to constantly be leaning on it just to maintain a cruising speed-watching the voltage plummet during was not fun. And yes the S16's "smart" BMS and software were atrocious (explained in the other thread).

My personal needs from a new wheel were wet-road stability and dampening for potholes. Ultimately the S16 was too heavy and fell well below my range expectations. I didn't need all that torque, acceleration, motor/tire noise. The Falcon fit better for me. Quieter, lighter, easier to manage both off and on the wheel.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

My personal needs from a new wheel were wet-road stability and dampening for potholes. Ultimately the S16 was too heavy and fell well below my range expectations. I didn't need all that torque, acceleration, motor/tire noise. The Falcon fit better for me. Quieter, lighter, easier to manage both off and on the wheel.

I see. Thank you. That explains a lot.

Just curious, with the Falcon's battery capacity (100V, 2P), how does that help you in range?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

I forgot to mention it earlier in my initial ride post, but the stock 5A charger took the wheel from 11% to 90% charge in 1 hour.

So with fast charging, the Falcon is OK with range?

Edited by techyiam

10 hours ago, techyiam said:

Just curious, with the Falcon's battery capacity (100V, 2P), how does that help you in range?

I’m getting about 13-15mi. from the top 1/3 of the battery capacity riding as briskly as I’m willing to. Surely I wish it gave me 20% more overall just because I tackle 3 inclines on my ride routes (elevation screenshots posted earlier) and the final climb to return home is taxing - low battery beeps blaring through a residential area at 7am isn’t fun.

Approximating my 100% —> 25% battery use:

18XL, 1554wh 40mi.

S16, 1480wh 26mi.

Falcon, 900w 25mi.

11 hours ago, techyiam said:

So with fast charging, the Falcon is OK with range?

I would say so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, slippyfeet said:

I’m getting about 13-15mi. from the top 1/3 of the battery capacity riding as briskly as I’m willing to. Surely I wish it gave me 20% more overall just because I tackle 3 inclines on my ride routes (elevation screenshots posted earlier) and the final climb to return home is taxing - low battery beeps blaring through a residential area at 7am isn’t fun.

Approximating my 100% 25% battery use:

18XL, 1554wh 40mi.

S16, 1480wh 26mi.

Falcon, 900w 25mi.

I would say so.

Can confirm. Even with my 280lbs weight i got about 60km on 18xl. 100%-->5%.

Even 900Wh would be to big of a battery for my use case. (My 18xl battery is around 50% after 2 weeks of daily commuting.) Falcon would result about same ~2 week charge cycle.. :D 

Good to know that it charges so fast.. It takes around 8hrs to charge+balance cells on 18xl. (Original/slow charger.)

Edited by Funky

Hello!  You can find out which company produces the shock absorbers that are installed on the Falcon.  Maybe there are analogues?  I need to know if the shock absorber breaks, where I can buy it and how much it will cost.Hello!  Maybe someone knows which company produces the shock absorbers that are on the Falcon.  Maybe there are analogues?  I need to know if the shock absorber breaks, where I can buy it and how much it will cost.