Master, CMini/Extreme/Patton, or Lynx?

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

It looks like you prefer the Pilot Street over the City Grip. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

don't listen to the ladies, sometimes girth isn't better. 

Pulled down my new mini last night, was just placing an order from the evil empire for stainless allen head screws to replace the phillips screws on reassembly.  A couple of observations:

1) it has a tubeless street tire, WITH A TUBE.  Weird

2) the shock mount is really well conceived, the slider system is simple yet relatively foolproof.  Although there is some potential for mud, a stainless rod sliding through oiled brass bushings should be very durable.  This is a VAST improvement over the silly little wheels on the regulars size Commander

3) the spring is too stiff, as I weighed 169 as I stepped on the Mini, there was a small amount of sag, perhaps 1/4-1/2" (rather tricky to measure by oneself!); a somewhat lower rate would probably be better, although given the relatively short travel of these suspensions, I think it would be great for big hits.

If I get time later today, I will attempt to dismantle the shock & measure the spring, examine the damping mechanism, etc.

And yes, I will cross-post this info to the Mini thread

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 8:29 AM, OldSolo said:

Nope, mini doesn't have the rollers that the Commander did, much improved design.  Watch the complete teardown that 2Cells1Pack did, it REALLY impressed me with the construction.  Yeah, there some things that needed checking (as do all, such as tightening bolts, etc), but he was extremely impressed with the quality.

Thank you for the consolation OldSolo. Excited to hear the takeaway from your recent acquisition! What sold me on the CMini in particular was the value = price: specs calculation (perceived value according to individual, of course) and the apparent build quality and resistance to abuse. Those Belgium fellas @eAdventures really smack their mini around off road and the thing just doesn't quit. 

I definitely viewed all the internets had to offer on the CMini including the 2C1P teardown. The main takeaway on drawbacks of CMini ownership seemed to be primarily: stiff suspension, weak headlight and annoying rear tail light, questionable moisture tolerance, garbage pads, garbage trolley handle, and the possibility of having to tighten a few nuts and bolts. 

Stiff suspension? I am primarily a city rider that rarely will have to negotiate off road scenarios. Besides, I come from a zero suspension MTen3 and I have taken that thing through some pretty nutso terrain and it just added to the fun. I imagine the mini conquering what I have ridden with ease and that I will adapt to its functionality over time.

Weak lights? I won't do much night riding, but if it really is an issue then this is about as easy a DIY as exchanging pads.

Moisture tolerance? I don't ride in rain or mud, and we are moving to the desert next year. EUC for me is for recreational use and not commuting.

Pads? Easy DIY and this really isn't a drawback since there are no wheels that come with stock pads that consumers are excited to keep.

Trolley handle? Don't care.

Nuts and bolts? Maybe we ran out of stuff to complain about so this got thrown in to the mix of cons.

The distributor said that my wheel has shipped! Unfortunately we are having some pretty severe weather conditions and it may delay things.  

3 minutes ago, Parker said:

What do you all tell your wives about EUCs? I feel like I had to begin posting here as a result of needing an outlet to share a passion (obsession?) that I have no one to connect with. I try to explain the transcendent experience of riding these things and how I wish we could enjoy this together. It's like trying to explain to a friend how much fun I had on my last vacation. Like, "cool man, that sounds... fun, yeah." 

Once you start spending all your free time riding, she’ll eventually realise she’ll have to learn to ride so that she can spend more time with you. Show her videos of other women riding and enjoying it. Then hint that you’d like to go on a trip together. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Parker said:

..., capture a clean shot before I ride her dirty: 

but afterwards, you can also take a 'dirty' shot too.

nice machine;  you are certainly wise to take this beauty shot before you begin using the machine. it will never look like this again...

If one of you rides, the other will keep you in check. If your hobby and theirs hobby is different then you are safe.

But if both of you ride, then you have a problem. If one of you says, “I want a new wheel”, no one says no. There is no adult in the room to worry about budget or storage. Their answer is always “which one are we getting?” And then you work each other up into a frenzy, and the next thing you both know you are checking FedEx 6 times an hour haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, noonewantstobepeterchris said:

If one of you rides, the other will keep you in check. If your hobby and theirs hobby is different then you are safe.

But if both of you ride, then you have a problem. If one of you says, “I want a new wheel”, no one says no. There is no adult in the room to worry about budget or storage. Their answer is always “which one are we getting?” And then you work each other up into a frenzy, and the next thing you both know you are checking FedEx 6 times an hour haha

Nothing wrong wanting more euc's. You do realize you are posting in an euc forum, right? :) 

On the contrary in my mind. If both ride euc's, it can only benefit the relationship.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Parker said:

My mini arrived last night. She's a beaut! I wanted to take the opportunity to capture a clean shot before I ride her dirty: 

image.thumb.jpeg.85faebeff604c8a207a27acaee21f0e8.jpeg

What do you all tell your wives about EUCs? I feel like I had to begin posting here as a result of needing an outlet to share a passion (obsession?) that I have no one to connect with. I try to explain the transcendent experience of riding these things and how I wish we could enjoy this together. It's like trying to explain to a friend how much fun I had on my last vacation. Like, "cool man, that sounds... fun, yeah." 

Anyways, I just had to post a pic just for my own sake. We all know what it looks like. Why bother posting, eh? To connect with like-minded individuals who share a common interest, I suppose.   

I am very fortunate that I was able to talk my wife into it after I bought my V11.  She now has an A2 and was riding it in 20 minutes and I bought a Patton as well.  I've only seen 2 others riding EUCs in my area...

On 1/11/2024 at 2:56 PM, Parker said:

My mini arrived last night. She's a beaut! I wanted to take the opportunity to capture a clean shot before I ride her dirty: 

Anyways, I just had to post a pic just for my own sake. We all know what it looks like. Why bother posting, eh? To connect with like-minded individuals who share a common interest, I suppose.   

Nice!  My response to receiving mine on Monday was to begin taking it apart :-)  I have installed a Shinko SR241, and it may take a little work with a belt sander if it rubs.  But more importantly, I have completely ravaged the suspension!  Between yesterday & today I got a shock completely disassembled (it has the CUTEST little tiny shim stack I have ever seen!) and have taken spring measurements.  I have ALSO identified a problem that EB is not likely even aware of.  The spring is limiting travel not only due to being too stiff, but IF someone hits it hard enough, I am sure it will get into coil bind.  Careful measurements of the uncompressed spring show 84mm of open space between coils.  Now there is some built in preload (it will be fun compressing it to reassemble!) so even without adding preload, I am reasonably sure it has less than 80mm free space to compress into.

I cannot find any seller who has springs of the proper size & lighter weight.  I will call a couple of companies next week & get some idea of what a pair of springs would cost.  AND, if others are different, perhaps get a group buy.  I want to try to calculate load, but actually the Patton being the same size & weight, we should be able to go off of their spring rates (it's vertical, 1:1 so no leverage obviously).  I actually like the construction of the shock other than the spring itself.  It is robust, well made, and should great with a lighter spring.  A thinner wire with wider spacing would cut a little weight and provide more compressive room - and rates can be determined.

Taking the shock apart was really not difficult, it just took me a LONG time to assess WHAT came apart and how.  Familiarity with MX forks helped, as the principles are the same.  I did use an old MTB stem as a clamp on the steel inner cylinder - although it really doesn't matter if it is scratched ... in fact the spring scratches it!

Oh, as far as beauty, I ordered a couple of packs of stainless allen head screws to replace the phillips hardware.  They won't strip so easily.  Now the motor mount / lower suspension bolts would be better served with a Torx head, the allen head wanted to strip.  I used a LOT of down force to crack those loose (they were definitely tight!), and Torx heads bear that better.  I found a source for them, not even very expensifve, but as they aren't on Amazon the shipping will be more costly.  I can provide specifics (I measured all of the bolts with calipers to compile a list).

• Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 4:26 AM, OldSolo said:

Nice!  My response to receiving mine on Monday was to begin taking it apart :-)  I have installed a Shinko SR241, and it may take a little work with a belt sander if it rubs.  But more importantly, I have completely ravaged the suspension!  Between yesterday & today I got a shock completely disassembled (it has the CUTEST little tiny shim stack I have ever seen!) and have taken spring measurements.  I have ALSO identified a problem that EB is not likely even aware of.  The spring is limiting travel not only due to being too stiff, but IF someone hits it hard enough, I am sure it will get into coil bind.  Careful measurements of the uncompressed spring show 84mm of open space between coils.  Now there is some built in preload (it will be fun compressing it to reassemble!) so even without adding preload, I am reasonably sure it has less than 80mm free space to compress into.

I cannot find any seller who has springs of the proper size & lighter weight.  I will call a couple of companies next week & get some idea of what a pair of springs would cost.  AND, if others are different, perhaps get a group buy.  I want to try to calculate load, but actually the Patton being the same size & weight, we should be able to go off of their spring rates (it's vertical, 1:1 so no leverage obviously).  I actually like the construction of the shock other than the spring itself.  It is robust, well made, and should great with a lighter spring.  A thinner wire with wider spacing would cut a little weight and provide more compressive room - and rates can be determined.

Taking the shock apart was really not difficult, it just took me a LONG time to assess WHAT came apart and how.  Familiarity with MX forks helped, as the principles are the same.  I did use an old MTB stem as a clamp on the steel inner cylinder - although it really doesn't matter if it is scratched ... in fact the spring scratches it!

Oh, as far as beauty, I ordered a couple of packs of stainless allen head screws to replace the phillips hardware.  They won't strip so easily.  Now the motor mount / lower suspension bolts would be better served with a Torx head, the allen head wanted to strip.  I used a LOT of down force to crack those loose (they were definitely tight!), and Torx heads bear that better.  I found a source for them, not even very expensifve, but as they aren't on Amazon the shipping will be more costly.  I can provide specifics (I measured all of the bolts with calipers to compile a list).

Nice work.. I would be interested in your replacement stainless allen screw list if you wouldn't mind? 

Absolutely (I just posted these on the Telegram channel):

THESE are the smaller Phillips heads that hold the top in place, the small black brackets that the CNC bumpers connect to, etc

AND THESE are the flat head / countersunk that are used to hold the suspension sliders to the battery box & similar purposes.

I like the stainless look and functionality, as well as having allen (hex) fittings rather than the easy to strip Phillips. 

The bolts that hold the suspension mount / axle piece into the wheel are something I have looked into swapping for a Torx head.  In disassembling mine, the allen head socket wanted to slip/strip.  It took a LOT of very straight-on pressure with an impact to make sure they didn't strip.  Torx would elimnate that.  They are a specialty item, found online at a very fair price.  I haven't ordered due to the shipping being more than the bolts themselves.  If we had a bunch who were interested, they could probably be mailed for a buck or two - haven't really looked at that.  But that's an option.

• 5 weeks later...

Incredible project, as a mini owner I am carious about the spring. I thought it was hydraulic spring no? Looking at your disassembly it looks a coil spring?

On 1/14/2024 at 9:34 AM, OldSolo said:

I will start a thread for this specifically, but here is one side shock removed, and I have already unscrewed caps at both ens as you can see from the threaded areas:

1-Completeunit-endsloosened.thumb.jpg.619554ec3ca6dd536985727d1984caad.jpg

This is what it looks like when the caps are unscrewed and the main parts disassembled.  In the center is the guts of the spring & damper.

3.thumb.jpg.58ebfc6bc5365b82582d29d0d1cc0969.jpg

Here is the final disassembly picture.  I have a small yellow zip tie through the piston & shims to keep everything in order (always a good idea!):

6-MiniSuspension.thumb.jpg.8759ac95eaed3b8a2b6f0e3dd7f6cfe6.jpg

Obviously the chrome slider & black housing aren't in this picture.  Everything you see here is just the actual spring/shock assembly (center part of the middle picture).  I will be doing a complete thread with specific discussion, annotations with the photos, and instructions to make this easy to replicate IF WE CAN FIND A SPRING SUPPLIER!!!  I could even do a video, the idea is that if we can source springs at a good price, the idea of replacing the entire suspension unti is absurd.  Also this will help you do maintenance down the road, such as replacing seals and hydraulic fluid.

On 1/6/2024 at 4:41 AM, techyiam said:

+1.

In the long run for the O.P. a 14" rim wheel with a 4P battery could be quite ideal. However, whether he can get 60 miles range would depend on his speed.

Personally, this would be my prefer wheel form-factor. But I don't need a top speed of more than 70 km/h at the. moment.

Unfortunately, ranges between the V12, S22, Patton, and Lynx are about the same, more or less.

These are the 20", 4P wheels available at the moment (or by February-March timeframe?)

(1) Master

(2) S22 Pro

(3) S19

(4) Lynx

(5) Commander GT (not sure who would want to buy one even if you could)

(6) Commander GT Pro

(7) ET Max.

If you live in the US you can get the EB GT from nextgenmobility.org James is a great guy and they even offer financing and I believe a dealer warranty on top of the manufacturers warranty