22 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

In my experience there are three "tricks" to smooth free mounting:

first, keep the wheel tilted over "inside", towards your "ground leg", as much as possible,

second, keep your "ground foot" as close to the pedal as possible before attempting to lift it up,

third and most important, make sure like 99% of your weight is on the "pedal foot" before you lift your "ground foot" up. Dont attempt to "jump up" with your ground foot, this will totally wreck your balance.

Thanks for the tips, I’m there now and about to start spreading my foot stance so as to loosen up my overly tight grip on the frame that’s been causing me grief with all that tension getting transferred through the tyre as wobbles. Nobody on any of the videos I watched on basics of riding mentioned this majorly important step in the process; all mentioned keeping feet tight against the body and your calves too. 

• Like 1

Goodmorning, @Boof and Bloke, here's a pic of my diy pedals with added padding. They are so nice to ride. All told I think my pedals are nearly 14" long, lol, they are more like mini ski's . They saved me from quitting riding. Some time this year I'm going to make some metal ones.image.thumb.jpeg.24e87c8a4d63909e5b3eab9531283f43.jpegThey are kind of ugly, but really comfortable. And provide a ton of control.

Edited by iwantmymtv
typo
  • Like 2

@iwantmymtv If they work for you, who cares how they look? 👍👍 Not having suspension is probably a good thing to learn with initially, so as to gain better control early on, time will tell.

I’m just searching now for some larger pedals to fit the V8, and have found some that are another 5cm longer. Still flat with grip tape on them. 

I can see myself upgrading EUC within six months so won’t get caught up in trying to mod this one. A bigger 18” wheel will probably be my next unit for on and off road riding with suspension. 

Yesterday I had my first group ride around a nature reserve on compacted gravel and loose dirt tracks with hills, and all manner of challenging terrain. My first ride off and away from smooth paths. 

I had to get off and walk at a couple of points, basically anything that had a sharp turn immediately before a steep climb or drop, and where there was a wonky boardwalk with no sides that was just too undulating for me to cross riding it just yet. 

I'll spend more time on tracks like this as it’ll speed up my riding ability no end and keep focusing on widening and loosening my vice-like grip on the EUC body. 

Edited by Boof and Bloke
  • Like 2

Latest update:

I got a pair of solid motorcycle boots that cover the shins and they have been the biggest improvement for my riding. All that ankle movement has gone and my legs are finally one with the V8, with no shin or ankle pain anymore. No more bothersome wobbles freaking me out.  Larger pedal plates are coming, so the boots will sit nicely. 

I've got a broader stance now too and have finally released that vice-like grip I had on the body of the V8. 

Did a 22km ride yesterday afternoon/evening and apart from getting airborne on a tree root under the bike path it was all good. 

Strangest part for me is that while wearing the heavy motorcycle gear I now have the lightest touch as I step on for free starts! 🤔🤣

• Like 2

@Boof and Bloke one of the biggest changes for me was upgrading to spiked pedals and getting better boots. It made a huge impact on grip and maneuverability. You sound like you’re doing great! Group rides, long distance, freemounting. 👍👍

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My pedals broke off in the snow and ice so I was riding with factory pedals for a little while, which is lame compared to better pedals. Then I fixed my pedals and riding is wow, so nice again. The next thing you could add to your wheel after better pedals to get a lot more fun, control and stability is Kuji pads or baby grizzla's might fit. I want to get some baby grizzla pads for my wheel, but I have to keep on saving.

I know that you are planning on upgrading to an 18 incher, but getting better pedals and nice pads is actually more important than getting a suspension wheel, and those 2 accessories will add value and make your wheel a lot easier to sell, if you want to let it go. You might change your mind though, and keep it around for a friend, or for low impact ride around your neighborhood.

Edited by iwantmymtv
one more thing
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 1:46 PM, iwantmymtv said:

The next thing you could add to your wheel after better pedals to get a lot more fun, control and stability is Kuji pads

Love the mini Kuji pads on my V8F too :)