EUC on a bus

I have a V11. I want to take it with me on the bus. Would they let me put it in the under floor luggage compartment? And is it safe to leave it in there during the ride? It has leg pads on the sides with fairing plates and the stock seat.

They are already globally banned on buses over here in the UK, which confuses me, because it is relatively quick and easy to stop a bus in order to unload a wheel that is having 'fire problems', although obviously much less so if it is stowed. I think we are rapidly approaching the end of the times when our wheels are allowed on ANY public transport, so enjoy it while you still can, but I wouldn't rely on it being possible.

• Upvote 1

In the US it probably depends on your local bus authority. Where I am , I have never had a problem with the local metro. Of course it is much easier to carry a smaller wheel (16"). Anything large than that may end up taking up the seat next to you. Unless the bus is crowded they may not care. 

Would be good to know what you find out. Please update.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

On my recent 2 bus rides to and coming out of New York they allowed me to carry the V11 onto the bus. I guess I was lucky or they allowed it since the front of the 2  buses where spacious enough. One of friends was able to do the same but he was sometimes denied.

5 hours ago, Knight Rider said:

On my recent 2 bus rides to and coming out of New York they allowed me to carry the V11 onto the bus. I guess I was lucky or they allowed it since the front of the 2  buses where spacious enough. One of friends was able to do the same but he was sometimes denied.

Enjoy it while you can my friend. Over here in the UK we can't take them on any public transport full stop !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Put euc in big suitcase - now it's simply my luggage.. :thumbup:

Can't imagine not being available to carry my transportation device on a train/bus.. That's just bonkers.. By that logic they should not allow any electric wheelchairs users also on public transport.. They are also putting us in danger. :rolleyes:

Spoiler

I know the dangers, etc.. WHO CARES.. :D It's 21st century - if not EUC fire, then something else gonna kill you. If nothing else it's simply and mostly only property damage..

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

By that logic they should not allow any electric wheelchairs users also on public transport..

or phones or laptops !

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The bus discussions come back after a few months on the fofo, it's interesting to see the evolution in different countries. In our country, the EUC is authorized on buses today, but this is also with the authorization of the bus driver who does not always know the rules :eff0541f4a: of his company (or chooses his interpretation, it's a strange thing in some cities in France, we are sometimes strange). The rigid suitcase is a solution that I tested and succeeded in. I did this on the train and the metro, but in the future this will be prohibited here. of an EUC or a case of EUC is considered a baggage that each company limits the weight this weight is estimated with the eye of the driver :rolleyes: young or old, not weighing a wheel for ten, twenty or thirty kilos on; one arm. I haven't tried heavier with one hand. Bus companies discuss weight but not lithium :ph34r:.

Edited by varamontelo
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

or phones or laptops !

There was a recent post of an EUC going up in flames. It was not charging and was 2 feet from the front door. Owner heard a pop and within 10 seconds had it out the door. In another 10 seconds it was a full on fireball a la KS S20 in NYC.

It is not "relatively easy to stop a bus" OK in London at 8mph maybe, but even in that case the driver has to realize what is going on and it probably wont be until it is fully on fire before he realizes he had better stop.

The comments about phones is absurd. An EUC has 100 times the stored energy and 100 times the weight. ditto wheelchairs. I had a friend who used his wheelchair to get around. It had a lead acid battery (or 2).

The good news is that CATL is doing some great work on LFP batteries. These have 4C (current) and 5C (later this year) charging. There are a couple of EV models which will be released in China with 1000km ranges and astonishing charging rates (550kW). Eventually the Shengxing+ will work its way into PEVs and not only will it be safe to transport but people will stop dying in PEV apartment fires.

Edited by DavidB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, DavidB said:

The comments about phones is absurd.

Not insomuch as they are also not immune from Li-ion explosion or thermal runaway. Of course - not to anything like the same extent or frequency, and the consequences are much less severe, but the possibility exists regardless. They could still fill a coach cabin with toxic smoke in relatively short order.

Edited by Cerbera

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

or phones or laptops !

Meh those fire are small. Only thing getting burn is users ass - boring. And as rightfully said - absurd and not even worth mentioning. As everyone is carrying one.

Also we are okay with them.. But somehow with EUC's or anything other that isn't owned by everybody - it becomes automatically outlawed.. Just stupid!

I'm excited to see what's going to happen to powerbanks on public transportation.

If they're allowed then I'll just ride a wheel with a powerbank style pack in it. "Look. It's just a powerbank."

14 hours ago, Funky said:

......As everyone is carrying one.

That is right. "Carrying". So when there is a problem you know about it. The phone gets hot. If it catches fire it weighs almost nothing so you can toss it and the fire is 1/100 as intense as a EUC. None of this applies to an EUC. First you know about it is that pop when one cell has vented or exploded and thermal runaway has started. By then it to late. All you can do is run. Hard to do on a bus or train.

Posted (edited)

It’s happened I’m a bus driver 🙈🙉🙊

My company states - no electric scooters are allowed.

This principal is supported with stickers on the buses, where you can see the shape of general el.scooter (handlebar, flat standing bottom)…

I believe it’s mostly to prevent accidental set on fire while on the bus.

What I don’t get is ~ all sort of electric wheelchairs are readily accepted, and they’re priority matter…

I bet it must be down to safety certificates then…?

Most probably all manufacturers of el.wheelchairs can provide full spectrum and all sort of approved certificates…

In comparison ~ our electric unicycles or scooters remaining in grey area, being illegal on public places, so the transport…

Edited by PogArtTi

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DavidB said:

That is right. "Carrying". So when there is a problem you know about it. The phone gets hot. If it catches fire it weighs almost nothing so you can toss it and the fire is 1/100 as intense as a EUC. None of this applies to an EUC. First you know about it is that pop when one cell has vented or exploded and thermal runaway has started. By then it to late. All you can do is run. Hard to do on a bus or train.

In my case it's right next to me leaned against next passengers seat. And on train it's easy to run away.. (I'm using train daily. Whole year round with EUC.) At bus the driver will immediately stop and open doors. So your arguments is invalid.

In case it's starting to smoke - simply open window and those it out.. Or bring it down to exit and lean against exit doors - if anything happens at next stop doors will open and it will fall out. (Even if it's already on fire.. And no i'm not blocking the "exit", train has exit every few feet both ways.)

Heck pull the emergency stop and train will stop and open doors right there and then! Hardest part will be getting the dam thing from seat to exit door that is 10 feet way, if it's already starting to burn. Smoke you will notice really fast. You can only hope it's starts off smoking. Not right-out thermal runaway, where you can't even touch the wheel.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

On 5/23/2024 at 12:20 PM, PogArtTi said:

It’s happened I’m a bus driver 🙈🙉🙊

My company states - no electric scooters are allowed.

This principal is supported with stickers on the buses, where you can see the shape of general el.scooter (handlebar, flat standing bottom)…

I believe it’s mostly to prevent accidental set on fire while on the bus.

What I don’t get is ~ all sort of electric wheelchairs are readily accepted, and they’re priority matter…

I bet it must be down to safety certificates then…?

Most probably all manufacturers of el.wheelchairs can provide full spectrum and all sort of approved certificates…

In comparison ~ our electric unicycles or scooters remaining in grey area, being illegal on public places, so the transport…

I have a couple friends who's partners have electtic wheelchairs. The cost of which are astronomical. So you'd think they have UL certificate etc but I did hear of a horror story a year or so ago where an invalid got burnt alive in a public park when his wheelchair self emolated. So maybe not.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 12:56 PM, DavidB said:

I have a couple friends who's partners have electtic wheelchairs. The cost of which are astronomical. So you'd think they have UL certificate etc but I did hear of a horror story a year or so ago where an invalid got burnt alive in a public park when his wheelchair self emolated. So maybe not.

This is exactly the point I’ve tried describe within my post 👍

To me if company’s policy states no electric scooters ~ it supposed to be equal for all such scooters, because they’re all running on batteries ~ which can set on fire no matter whether they’re certificated or not 👍 

Edited by PogArtTi

On 5/22/2024 at 6:11 AM, Cerbera said:

Enjoy it while you can my friend. Over here in the UK we can't take them on any public transport full stop !

There have terrible fires on trains in Asia, but people there bring cooking fuel with them to cook dinner on trains.

NYC allows PEVs on trains and subways, no charging allowed. Thankfully no problems. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

There have terrible fires on trains in Asia, but people there bring cooking fuel with them to cook dinner on trains.

NYC allows PEVs on trains and subways, no charging allowed. Thankfully no problems. 

Yeah I find it fascinating the differences in rules around the world. Most of the time I think the restrictions and rules or bans that some of us get are partially or totally unjustified, but the one about not allowing them on underground / subways seems sensible in pretty much whatever way I look at it.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I used to bring my EUC into the metro, trains, busses, restaurants, etc. all the time, but after experiencing a fire and the speed at which it grows, and understanding the amount of toxic smoke it makes, I'll never bring one into public transport again, or closed public spaces (I'm the guy who used to ride my INSIDE the supermarkets). It can go so wrong so quickly and there could be people with respiratory issues, children, etc. 
The sense of shame and dread I felt, because I had brought the lives of innocent people in danger, was a wakeup call for me.
I would bring it into my own vehicle or house, if it was just me living there, but I still won't because I quite enjoy life right now :D

I'm not trying to tell anyone what they should do, because that would be futile. I just hope more people become motivated towards fire safety, at least until we see fires becoming a rarity, compared to right now.

Until then take a look at:

I hope you look out for companies/models that have problems with fire history and vote with your wallet, in turn rewarding and incentivizing the companies/models with good fire history. If enough people do that then you could potentially bring an EUC into public transport in 5 years, with a comparably negligible chance of a fire starting.