Are Begode wheels more prone to cut-outs?

Chooch and Marty both had really bad cut-outs on Begode EUC's. If you own a begode wheel, can you chime in about how often and how severe your cut-outs have been compared to other brands. Just by doing youtube searches, Ninbot Z10 cut-outs are rare, but Begode cut-outs seem frequent.

Nobody knows exactly the details of Marty, speculation is that he over-torqued it. 

As for Chooch, he overestimated the power of the Begode Extreme by aggressively accelerating while already going fast on an uphill road with medium battery through wind resistance and there just wasn't enough power to keep the wheel balanced upright. 

Although, it's certainly possible the other wheel manufacturers have more protections against this or that the firmware was lacking at the time. 

And yes, Begode riders occasionally eat asphalt. 

• Like 1

It might be the high speeds that most begodes travel. My Z10 doesn't really go that fast, but I think if I were to get a begode type wheel, I'd definitely go for the Lynx. Veteran split off from Begode. Zen lee thinks the Lynx is way better than the V14.

Resale value is likely very high on the Lynx, so as long as I don't break it, The Lynx seems like a good investment.

Edited by iwantmymtv
one more thing

On 12/11/2023 at 3:16 PM, iwantmymtv said:

Begode cut-outs seem frequent.

There's definitely some level of rider-factor involved - a lot of people buy Begodes to go fast, and a smaller percentage of those guys seem happy to really push them to the edge, and sporadically over it ! But part of the appeal of those machines is that they somewhat uniquely allow riders to access the full unabridged power of the machine and ride very close to the limits if you know what those limits are. 

Nobody knows (so far) what caused Marty's A2 to power itself down that one time, and Chooch was what caused his, by flat-out caning it for extended periods of time and not appreciating quite how tiny the gap was on that particular model between max beeps and tumble-time.

My Master has not cut out on me once in over a year. The MS3 I had before it did, just the once, in 5 years of daily use. If you know the machines well, maintain them, check them over regularly, and ride sensibly within their known limits I don't think you're at much greater risk than with any other model.

Having said that, it really would be nice to find why that A2 powered off - that is a rare event indeed in the world of EUCs...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

Given that there have been no other 'events' with Marty's A2 & nobody has reported anything similar, I dare say that this may simply have been rider error that got lost in the moment - our recall around times of serious events can be quite sketchy.  My only crash is sort of the opposite: I can still recall with clarity, a bit of wobble set in going on a steep downhill, and as I tried to slow the oscillations increased until it flung me to the ground!  The nature of the pad at the bottom did try to rip my foot off as it spun it's little ass off for a couple of seconds before shutting off!

Being new to this hobby, it seems quality has been improving significantly, but so has performance which does create the opportunity for some spectacular crashes!  I just wish there were some way to try other wheels, but I have never even seen one other than my own.  Get lots of strange looks around the neighborhood!  The utter lack of wind protection (duh!) makes the recent cold weather unpleasant, so mine is sitting in the garage :(

• Like 2

21 hours ago, OldSolo said:

I dare say that this may simply have been rider error that got lost in the moment - our recall around times of serious events can be quite sketchy.

Nah - can't agree with that. Even if Marty wasn't such a ridiculously experienced and careful rider, I would like to know what sort of rider error could possibly make a machine power down ? Remember these machines shouldn't ever power off in a crash, just stop the wheel spinning but remain on. Lastly, if a crash injures you to that extent you can be damn sure you will remember every last detail of what led to it, unless you're like that one guy we had in the threads recently who had apparently been hit by a car, left unconscious in the road, and had no memory of the event at all !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Cerbera said:

My Master has not cut out on me once in over a year.

Thanks, that's great information!

23 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Having said that, it really would be nice to find why that A2 powered off - that is a rare event indeed in the world of EUCs...

Yes, and I would add, Marty seemed to be taking more and more chances than when he started out. If I remember correctly, Marty was not the first rider of that A2, and I presume he didn't inspect it first like he normally does wheels.

it seems quality has been improving significantly, but so has performance which does create the opportunity for some spectacular crashes!

A noteworthy point.

I just wish there were some way to try other wheels,

Me too!

22 hours ago, OldSolo said:

I just wish there were some way to try other wheels, but I have never even seen one other than my own.

Yeah it's frustrating if you live miles away from a dealer. I'm the same - first time I got to try any of my wheels was when I took a chance, ordered them, and they arrived at my door ! Of course I did months of research pre-order, but that of course can't tell you what the ride will feel like. So more risky, but also more excitement on unboxing day where you get to find out if you made a choice you can live with ! I have been lucky 3 times so far, though perhaps least so with the Master, which I probably would not have bought had I tried it first in any level of gusty wind ! But hey, there was no such thing as the EX-30 I should have bought instead at the time I had spare cash, so what ya gonna do ? :) I have since come to love it anyway, despite the inherent tippyness !

22 hours ago, OldSolo said:

The utter lack of wind protection (duh!) makes the recent cold weather unpleasant, so mine is sitting in the garage

Again, same here :)  I used to belligerently insist to myself that I was going to be riding EVERY DAY, regardless of what the weather was doing, but as time has gone on I no longer look forward to the 'slippy excitement' of snow rides, and riding in heavy rain is just miserable, no matter well kitted up you might be ! Even if you have very decent lighting, waterproof gear and a nice warm snug full face helmet, rain riding (and moreso in the annoyingly early dark of Winter afternoons) makes me feel horribly claustrophobic and closed-in, with rubbish visibility, dazzling car headlights etc etc, all of which adds up to giving me exactly the opposite feeling I get from riding in nice weather, where it's very 'open' and 'free-feeling'... so i just don't do that anymore; I can wait for a nicer day, where it didn't get dark about 10 minutes after I got up !!

Edited by Cerbera

I had a cut-out yesterday on my Z10. Bizzare timing, but there is never a good time to have a cut-out. I think I have developed some kind of air awareness because I landed on my feet. What happened was I rode out my front door to get the mail like I always do, but when I hit the small bump at the threshold and start my near 360 degree turn my wheel stopped balancing. I lunged upward and stretched my torso and back to the limit while twisting mid-air and landed on my feet.

I suspect that the cause of this cut-out was that my freespin cut out was triggered while I was riding at low speed because the wheel does cut out, not while I'm riding usually, but while I turn it on and push it out the door. Also, I didn't give my wheel much time to power up. I cleaned the freespin cut censor with alcohol, and I'm going to disable freespin cut just for extra caution. Also, I'm going to give my wheel like 30 seconds to fully power up from now on.

I thought the censor was underneath the handle, but it's not. It's a weight sensor. I am definitely going to disable freespin cut-out before my next ride because it's the most likely culprit. When I push my wheel without any weight, the wheel cuts out sometimes.

3 minutes ago, iwantmymtv said:

I thought the censor was underneath the handle, but it's not. It's a weight sensor.

I did wonder what you meant! Yes it's basically a strain gauge using a bar of metal within the handle. Quite a good system tbh and have never seen anything similar on other wheels.

Going back to your cutoff, it does seem odd. Never had anything like that with mine and neither did it need to 'warm up' - as soon as it was balancing it was done. If the cutoff is being triggered by the lift switch then there may be another issue (wiring/plug etc) as theres no way the strain gauge will trigger without the weight of the wheel being applied under the handle. I think complete, new handles are actually pretty cheap now too if you just wanted to swop it out.

• Like 1

I have always had to put my weight on the sides of the top of the wheel while pushing it with both hands on the sides of of the top of the wheel, the edges on top, because if I grabbed it by the handle and pushed, it would cut out while I pushed it.

Yeah deffo no chance of that happening with my old one. Does sound like theres an issue with it. That said if mine needed moving more than a couple of feet I used the trolley anyway. My daughter pushed it around quite a lot though and never had it trigger, in fact she struggled to get it to trigger even when lifting as she struggled to pick it up!

• Like 1

I let my wheel warm up and pushed it around by the handle just now, before disabling free spin cut out, and it doesn't cut off. I think I just jumped on the Z10 too soon without letting it warm up for at least 5 seconds. I think I jumped on and zoomed out the door too fast, like 2 seconds or something.

It's a maneuver I do practically 2-3 times per day, and I am very fast at it since I have to fling open the door and zoom out before the door closes. I don't think there's anything wrong with my wheel, I just need to give it a chance to at least turn fully on.

Edited by iwantmymtv
one more thing
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2023 at 4:27 PM, Cerbera said:

I would like to know what sort of rider error could possibly make a machine power down ? Remember these machines shouldn't ever power off in a crash, just stop the wheel spinning but remain on.

How do you know when the A2 powered off during the accident?

My wheel turns off after a spin-out and I can't see anything wrong with that.

55 minutes ago, Mono said:

How do you know when the A2 powered off during the accident?

My wheel turns off after a spin-out and I can't see anything wrong with that.

You are trying to tie two dissimilar things together as if they were the same thing, just because the wheels turned off.

In Marty's case, he said he lost balance/control because the wheel turned off.

24 minutes ago, techyiam said:

You are trying to tie two dissimilar things together as if they were the same thing, just because the wheels turned off.

I don't follow. I was addressing two different aspects of the post I responded to.

24 minutes ago, techyiam said:

In Marty's case, he said he lost balance/control because the wheel turned off.

So it's the testimony of the rider how we "know". Didn't he also say it was some active force from the wheel that broke the ankle before he even touched ground?

Edited by Mono

14 minutes ago, Mono said:

I don't follow.

So it's the testimony of the rider. Didn't he also say it was some active force from the wheel that broke the ankle?

There was no video captured of his accident. 

You have nothing to go on otherwise. 

And he is a very experienced and active rider who is well known in the community. 

You don't own an A2, and you don't ride with him, nor know him as a rider. You have nothing to go on.

Yet you are readily eager to suggest his A2 may have turned off after he lost control.

Totally out of thin air.

I guess it's your prerogative to speculate all you want.

On 1/18/2024 at 2:20 AM, techyiam said:

Yet you are readily eager to suggest his A2 may have turned off after he lost control.

I have not the slightest idea where you get this idea from :efefa6edcf: .

True, I am skeptical about any personal report of any such event and would want to go by facts and recorded data to draw reasonably certain conclusions. Despite some thousand hours of riding experience I wouldn't trust my own perception of an accident either. I could not be further away from being eager drawing any conclusion in whatever way other than lead by evidence and facts.

On 1/18/2024 at 2:20 AM, techyiam said:

You don't own an A2, and you don't ride with him, nor know him as a rider. You have nothing to go on.

The first sentence would be true for any forensic investigator. Being acquainted with the subject under investigation is usually even counterproductive for an objective result. FTR, I do have quite a bit of testimony, results of the technical inspection and of tests of the assassin wheel and a bit of related expertise going on.

Edited by Mono