Pedal degree preference

Hellkitten

Just wanted to ask around and see what people’s preferences were for pedal degree.  I’ve always ridden with a 0 degree or level pedals, but last night I changed it to -2 degrees or a slight forward angle. I liked it so far. This was on a Sherman S on hard mode. Might mess around more and see how it affects riding. Last season I did a carving clinic with Hayden Wu and he rode with -4 degree forward tilt as his preference. 

What pedal degree do you all ride at? What are the advantages or disadvantages? 

Edited by Hellkitten
Added brand of wheel and setting info

I played around with +10 to -5 and prefer -2.

But the angle I prefer depends on what gotway mode I use from soft - medium - hard and the weight of the wheel. For the RS at 29kg in medium mode I preferred -2 degrees 

For older wheels 20kg or less I prefer 0 degrees

I imagine with heavier wheels 50kg+ I may want to increase the forward angle to -3 or -4 in gotway medium mode.

I have less than 2 hours on inmotions but their software felt different to me even after adjusting it a lot, and I might want a different angle for that brand, but I'm not sure, I'd need more time on them to be sure. 

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

That's a slightly backward angle on inmotion app. I ride with a +2° forward lean.

Yes we are both talking about forward angle. I think Inmotion and Gotway call the forward angle different things, or maybe the two of us are remembering it wrong.

• Like 2

At start i was riding +1.5-2 degree (Front of euc upwards.. You don't need to lean that much then.. That's why i was riding like that.)

But at some point i put it at 0 and haven't changed since, about 2 years now riding at 0. Also 0 is the "balanced" stance and it doesn't really mater if you go +1/2 or -1.2 = you get used to any setting over time.

I personally hated anything with (minus -) degree. All weight goes on toes, making my feet hurt quit fast.

You can simply place it at 0 and position your feet more forwards/backwards on pedals - same thing as setting up the -+ degrees. Toes over pedal front - you stand more straight, no need to lean. Toes in line with pedal front would make you lean more.. Same thing as setting +1/2 degree, or -1/2 degree.

Position of ankles with "L" brackets placement makes the biggest difference.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

As someone with 4 years of experience...

You can change the angle of your pedals? 😱

Yeah, I totally forgot about this possibility. So probably default on my MSX. :D
I always moved my feet a few cm forward or backwards for comfort.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

What pedal degree do you all ride at? What are the advantages or disadvantages?

Mine came set to -2 degrees initially, which I failed to notice until some time later. But I did notice how difficult acceleration was when I still had the rubbish default pads, and found braking correspondingly easier, which was helpful in the learning stages. Having got a lot more confident on the wheel in the year I've had it, and with decent pads fitted, there is no need for that now, so I am back to flat pedals.

When I did have mine set differently I considered that easier braking an advantage, but apart from the obvious corollary one about more pressure needed for speed-up, one disadvantage that very much detracted from the good bits was the difficulty of leaning the wheel against a wall or something without it trying to run away, which is it is much more keen to do if your pedal angles / calibration isn't flat.

Just occasionally, if I have to push my wheel up a very steep hill for example, I will alter the pedal angle to quite a significant negative number, so that pushing it forward via the trolley handle is a lot less effort. And, if I am doing a very heavy basket of shopping (which I perch on the front of my wheel as I go around) then a positive pedal angle stops my wheel wanting to pull endlessly forward with a whole load of extra weight on the front !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Cerbera said:

And, if I am doing a very heavy basket of shopping (which I perch on the front of my wheel as I go around) then a positive pedal angle stops my wheel wanting to pull endlessly forward with a whole load of extra weight on the front !

In Morgan Freeman voice:

One beautiful day @Cerbera where shopping with his master as he often has done. But this very day he had forgotten about the added positive angle for pedals and at check out line, there where horrible accident! As he removed the heavy grocery basket, the wheel went darting backwards down the shopping aisle, at which end there where classy old lady with cane.... @Cerbera heart sank, as he saw what is going to occur. In his mind he could see all his life choices go past his eyes.. Court cases.. Prison time.. Death.. The possibilities where endless in his mind, as he could only stand there and watch what going to happen.

Luckily for @Cerbera old lady noticed the wheel homing for her! She extended the cane and stopped it like a old granny ninja. :ph34r:That was a sight to behold.

Alternative ending: (Be warned! Who are very sensitive DON'T OPEN!!!!) :efefd8a002:

Spoiler

You opened naughty, naughty! :efef77eaf5:

You where warned! Do you really wanna see my sick mind? Last chance!

Spoiler

Okay this is the very last chance... I promise. No turning back after this..

Spoiler

I lied.. :innocent1: But this time it's really last chance!

Spoiler

:thumbup: Your imagination goes here. :thumbup:

It can be happy ending. :) Or very, very dark ending with lost life and one loosing the ability of riding euc for rest of his life. :efee8c29ce: (Also maybe jail time..? :efee8319ab:)

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 2

Just tried a quick test using -4 degree (forward) pedal angle. It felt really good. Definitely going to give this a go on a longer ride and see how I like it. I never expected to like my pedals like this…….

23 minutes ago, skunkmonkey said:

I do 2 degree forward tilt. My primary use is for commuting, so not having to work as hard to accelerate is nice.

Interesting. I have a V11 as well, I’ve always been frustrated with the fixed headlight. How do you get around it pointing at the ground with your pedal setting? 

30 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

Interesting. I have a V11 as well, I’ve always been frustrated with the fixed headlight. How do you get around it pointing at the ground with your pedal setting? 

It does point a little low, but I also ride kind of slow at night, so it works out fine for me. It would be nice if the headlight were adjustable like on other models, but alas, it's not.

• Like 2

For my V8F, 100% pedal sensitivity (hard mode) 0 degree tilt (used a level on the pedals to get 0 degrees actual). I used to get some calf fatigue, and tried tilting pedals forward and | or shifting feet forwards to no avail. Switching to hi-top hiking boots which provide some ankle bend support solved the problem. I calf raise more than double my weight 10 times per set when I workout, so it's a tension | circulation issue from the lack of motion, not a strength issue (I'm almost 72 years old). I mostly ride at 12 to 15 mph, so I'm not leaning forwards much when I ride. For someone riding fast enough to need to lean forwards (aerodynamic drag), some forward tilt would reduce ankle bend.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 3

Just got in from a decently long ride, had my pedal angle set at -4 (forward). I think I’m a convert. It makes the Sherman more zippy and carves differently. Makes for a livelier ride. Would recommend. 🤣

• Like 2

11 hours ago, alcatraz said:

One of my wheels has a pedal dip problem and that wheel I have set to +5deg (toes up).

The other wheels I set to ~3deg just because my feet are used to this.

That sounds like a pain. Is there a software update or setting you can change to avoid that? 

11 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

That sounds like a pain. Is there a software update or setting you can change to avoid that? 

I use a Saddle Adjust app on my phone to set the pedal inclination with the "calibrate" function in the wheel app. That's how it worked on Gotway/Begode back in the days. (I'm a fan of those wheels because they're lightweight and use safe Panasonic 18650 cells.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...