Used V12 - A good deal? What do I look for? (sure this has been asked before, so my appologies)

RickO

Hi there Folks,

This is my first post in the forum.

Perhaps you can show be a bit of patience and help me out, or direct me to the info I am looking for. I need your assistance to decide to buy (or not) a used V12.

I've had my EUC, a KS 18XL, for about a year. My son and I have been learning with it together. I've been looking at purchasing another wheel to surprise my kiddo and ride alongside. He's athletic in his late teens and can ride a decent size wheel with no issues. I recently found a used Inmotion V12 about 4 hours from where I live. The V12 seems like a nice option. However, oOther than the $800 price, a few pics showing a what looks like minimal shell damage, a functioning display, and a description from the seller (who is not the original owner nor the actual user of the wheel) that states it's "in very good condition", I know nothing else. I don't know the mileage, the condition of the battery, how the well was used/abused, nor have I yet had the chance to inspect the unit. Before I make the eight hour round trip (without wife's knowledge), do you think it's worth a shot? What information should I gather now, and during my inspection? Has the V12 gone through iterations/versions? Is this a concern? How do I know the battery condition? Do I tell seller to charge the unit to 100%? Would this be helpful? How do you get the total mileage on these EUCs? If I get the serial #, mod #, Manufacture Date, etc. can I find anything out about the unit?

Your comments, opinions, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Welcome. :)

800$ seems to good to be true.. Also not the "owner", could have been stolen.. But then again i'm negative and like to think that world is ducked up place!

As for batteries. He needs to show in APP that it has full charge. It should show 100Volts when it's 100%. (In person - better, as screenshots can be taken from any wheel.)

As for damage - It's luck of a draw. There could be water damage done to batteries. That down the road (1-3 months later) may start fire and burn down your house. Or "best" case - make you or your son fall on his ass (Who's kidding, it will faceplant in most cases.) Best case only cracked/damaged case. (Inner case...)

I personally would not risk it. As there is no telling what can, or will go wrong in future. Because of unseen "damage". Also you would be risking your own health. Ask yourself: is 1000-1500$ worth burnt down house or broken neck? You may think i'm crazy - so be it. I'm just telling what can go wrong.

Also sorry if i sounded like a jerk/asshole.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Funky said:

Welcome. :)

800$ seems to good to be true.. Also not the "owner", could have been stolen.. But then again i'm negative and like to think that world is ducked up place!

As for batteries. He needs to show in APP that it has full charge. It should show 100Volts when it's 100%. (In person - better, as screenshots can be taken from any wheel.)

As for damage - It's luck of a draw. There could be water damage done to batteries. That down the road (1-3 months later) may start fire and burn down your house. Or "best" case - make you or your son fall on his ass (Who's kidding, it will faceplant in most cases.) Best case only cracked/damaged case. (Inner case...)

I personally would not risk it. As there is no telling what can, or will go wrong in future. Because of unseen "damage". Also you would be risking your own health. Ask yourself: is 1000-1500$ worth burnt down house or broken neck? You may think i'm crazy - so be it. I'm just telling what can go wrong.

Also sorry if i sounded like a jerk/asshole.

Thanks for your advice, Funky. You may be right. I'll consider it as you suggest.  

... a jerk/asshole perhaps, but a WISE ONE for sure! :lol:

Heyo. Linked below you can find a little general summary on what to look for when buying a used wheel (second part of the post). It's not much, but good to know.

For this wheel... $800 really is suspiciously extremely cheap.

Any honest and trustworthy seller will give you all the information you want, just ask, and they will be generous with information. Conversely, people who are stingy with information or give conflicting answers are probably trouble.

Just check all the topics pinned to the top of the "Private Sales" forum to get an idea (we mods might have to organize all that stuff a little better... some day;)).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, RickO said:

Your comments, opinions, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Let's see those photos, and a screenie of the whole ad ! From your description alone though, for me it raises 2 major red flags immediately - the price and the 'not the original owner' thing, especially the second one. WHY does this guy have it to sell, and how did he get it - I would ask him directly, and see if his answer seems plausible.

A reasonably good indicator for whether or not it is stolen is if the original charger comes with it in the listing - does it ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you are in the market for a used wheel, I would suggest buying it from someone here who has a good reputation, and a well detailed/ documented ad. If it is an “Ewheels” wheel, it qualifies for discounted shipping.

Best,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Heyo. Linked below you can find a little general summary on what to look for when buying a used wheel (second part of the post). It's not much, but good to know.

Any honest and trustworthy seller will give you all the information you want, just ask, and they will be generous with information. Conversely, people who are stingy with information or give conflicting answers are probably trouble.

Just check all the topics pinned to the top of the "Private Sales" forum to get an idea (we mods might have to organize all that stuff a little better... some day;)).

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Thank you meepmeepmayer; the price is indeed low, which could be a red flag or a great opportunity. I am asking seller additional questions and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Let's see those photos, and a screenie of the whole ad ! From your description alone though, for me it raises 2 major red flags immediately - the price and the 'not the original owner' thing, especially the second one. WHY does this guy have it to sell, and how did he get it - I would ask him directly, and see if his answer seems plausible.

A reasonably good indicator for whether or not it is stolen is if the original charger comes with it in the listing - does it ?

Good points Cerbera; I'll gather more info from the seller and see what he says. Rgds,

45 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

If you are in the market for a used wheel, I would suggest buying it from someone here who has a good reputation, and a well detailed/ documented ad. If it is an “Ewheels” wheel, it qualifies for discounted shipping.

Best,

Thank you OldFart. The add is not great and the seller is not the original owner/user so little to show as far as providing a detailed description. However, I send him a good set of questions so lets see what he responds. This may be a long shot. I'll be prudent.

• Like 1

This may or not be helpful...

I'd pick one that has a few thousand km on the odometer, and if the previous owner is heavier than you are, that's a plus. It means chances of continued reliability are good.

I'm not a V12 expert. Never owned one but I read about some board failures.

• Like 1