New rider, leaning towards V11 but looking for opinions

Hello, all. I'm a brand new rider, though I've been stalking sites for a month or so. I am 6' 2" at 185 lbs. I was originally liking the look of the V12HS, but others were talking about how it doesn't handle poor roads well.

The thing is I live in Philadelphia, which is notorious for poor roads: potholes, trolley tracks, cobblestones. You name it, we have it. My commute to work is ~2 miles to a train, ride the train, then ~5 miles to my office (or ~25 miles if I were to travel the roads). I'm gonna need something that can handle my roads well, is decently waterproof (east PA weather), but is also ~80lbs or below (max I'm willing to carry in front of myself while walking up stairs).

This led me to consider suspension and then the V11. However, I also caught wind of the V11Y right around the corner, so is this a wait and see type of thing? My budget is pretty open and I'm mainly worried about finding a ride to suit my needs.

A plus would be that I could take it with me when I travel outside the city to some off-road trails. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

If you can wait for the V11Y I'd say that. I'm loving my V11Y, but the V11Y looks to be a solid upgrade.

I've not owned a V12, but I've heard that if you do get one of those to get the V12HT instead due to the superior rims.

Edited by skunkmonkey
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, skunkmonkey said:

If you can wait for the V11Y I'd say that. I'm loving my V11, but the V11Y looks to be a solid upgrade.

That's what I was afraid of... I do want to optimize my purchase. If only there was a release date, I could gauge the value of waiting.

Have you ridden any other "starter" EUCs?

1 hour ago, Sloppin John said:

The thing is I live in Philadelphia, which is notorious for poor roads: potholes, trolley tracks, cobblestones. You name it, we have it. My commute to work is ~2 miles to a train, ride the train, then ~5 miles to my office (or ~25 miles if I were to travel the roads). I'm gonna need something that can handle my roads well, is decently waterproof (east PA weather), but is also ~80lbs or below (max I'm willing to carry in front of myself while walking up stairs).

This led me to consider suspension and then the V11. However, I also caught wind of the V11Y right around the corner, so is this a wait and see type of thing? My budget is pretty open and I'm mainly worried about finding a ride to suit my needs.

Given your use-case, a suspension first wheel is reasonable, especially if you are willing to carry up to 80 lbs of weight.

You can wait for V11Y, S16, and S19, but right now, the V11 is selling at a very low price.

Also, to learn on a heavier wheel is generally much more difficult to do, for the average person.

I hope you choose the right wheel that will allow you to learn successfully, instead of turning you off. 

Just remember, should you find yourself having a too difficult time learning, don't give up. Instead, learn on a lighter wheel.

The v11 is a solid beginner wheel, i found it easy to learn on and rides great. Fast enough for average around town traffic and the suspension, though not as nice as some. It is very functional and even decent off road.  The v11y looks like a decent upgrade but you might have the desire for a faster wheel like i did after riding it for awhile. So id say buy the probably much cheaper v11. My 2 cents.

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Just remember, should you find yourself having a too difficult time learning, don't give up

I second this advice. The V11 is a great wheel. I absolutely love mine for commuting. The suspension is great on rough roads, but suspension also means higher pedals, which means it's a little harder to learn to free mount, so don't be disappointed if it takes you a couple weeks or more to learn. I'm not saying that it will take that long, but it's not unusual. It took me about a week to learn to ride and free mount on my V11 to the point that I felt comfortable leaving my neighborhood.

Also, when buying V11's be aware that some older models had problems, so buy from a reputable dealer like ewheels or something where you won't get an older model.

Edited by skunkmonkey
  • Like 1

As everyone else has said here, the V11 is a great all around wheel. It was my first EUC and even though I ride my Sherman S mainly, I still keep the V11 around and ride it when the weather isn't great. If you wait you can buy the new V11Y when it releases or you can buy a V11 now which are being heavily discounted at some retailers.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. It looks like my instincts were good with the V11! I do think I'll wait a while for the V11Y, just so I don't have to deal with the hassle of trading in, but I think I'll start off on the V11 like most of you. I'm thinking about giving it a month or so, and if nothing pops up, I'll just buy a used/discounted V11.

10 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

I have a thread in the learning to ride section if you’re interested in reading about my learning curve and what to possibly expect.

It has a very steep learning curve, you need to be very stubborn.

Thanks! I'll definitely give that a read. Luckily, I'm not easily discouraged by pain!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm just gonna say - i also was fine carrying 58lbs.. I told myself even - "Yeah it's not much." After 3 years of ridding daily to job. (I got ~3miles travel, also includes train, bad roads, rain, etc.. Need to use train, can't ride directly to job by wheel.) My next wheel will be around 45lbs or under it.. 100% it will not be heavier than my ks18xl.

I live in 3rd floor apartment - meaning i sometimes need to carry my wheel up/down 2-4 times a day. Need to carry in train. Need to carry in my workplace. (Can't trolley because ground full of sharp metal shavings.) Generally i need to carry it A LOT! Also i don't want/like to use two hands to carry my wheel. Carrying it by two hands is such an inconvenience and feels so stupid.

I highly recommend thinking twice - will the 80lbs weight at some time later in future wont become a inconvenience. Just my two cents. :) (Even 60lbs V11, 65lbs V11Y)

But as everyone else have mentioned V11 & V11Y (I personally would wait little bit and get V11Y - if you gonna keep wheel longer than 2 years.. Pay extra for better/updated wheel.) I'm personally waiting for something under 45lbs market. (Rumored kingsong S14 maybe.) :D 

Edited by Funky

23 minutes ago, Sloppin John said:

Please don't make fun of me for this.

Absolutely not! That’s a magnificently forward looking approach!

The V11Y is indeed a nice upgrade, and despite the heavy discounts I’d go for the Y. It has a much sturdier controller and a bit higher top speed as well, among other smaller upgrades.

As for the release date, it should be later this year. Hopefully we’ll hear something within a month.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Sloppin John keep in mind that you can push an euc up stairs as well. It’s easier with a knobby tire rather than the stock v11 one. As the knobs grab the edge of each step. It’s still doable as the motor will do most of the work. You keep it stable and push from behind. I do it with a much heavier wheel too. 👍👍

Edited by Hellkitten
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm lucky in that I don't have to deal with stairs at all. I built a ramp up to my door, and I'm able to UEC the entire 8 miles to work, and my work has an elevator, so I can either store the EUC in the bike room, or since it's so small, take it up the elevator with me, and put it under my desk.

That's really smart with the weights. I'm used to heavier PEV's since I came from the performance scooter world prior to joining the world of EUC. 100+lb scooters are very common in the performance world. My V11 is actually lighter than my scooter by a fair amount lol.

I'm glad that you're waiting for the V11Y. I think it will be worth the wait. The added braking power alone in the form of increased torque makes this upgrade a no-brainer. The lower pedals will make learning easier, and I imagine it will also make the wheel more stable.

Edited by skunkmonkey
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hellkitten said:

keep in mind that you can push an euc up stairs as well...

Thank you! That's an excellent tip. I've heard of it before on reddit, but I've never seen it. I'll have to look up a video

17 minutes ago, skunkmonkey said:

I'm lucky in that I don't have to deal with stairs at all. I built a ramp up to my door, and I'm able to UEC the entire 8 miles to work, and my work has an elevator, so I can either store the EUC in the bike room, or since it's so small, take it up the elevator with me, and put it under my desk.

That's really smart with the weights. I'm used to heavier PEV's since I came from the performance scooter world prior to joining the world of EUC. 100+lb scooters are very common in the performance world. My V11 is actually lighter than my scooter by a fair amount lol.

I'm glad that you're waiting for the V11Y. I think it will be worth the wait. The added braking power alone in the form of increased torque makes this upgrade a no-brainer. The lower pedals will make learning easier, and I imagine it will also make the wheel more stable.

Damn, that's awesome... I would consider doing the whole 20, but I'd want to train a bit first. Drivers aren't that nice around here. Plus in the winter I'd want to take the train and then good roads.

Thanks! I definitely won't be lifting +100 pound anything anytime soon.

Yeah, worth the wait! It'd be nice if it were in October since that's my birth month, but I can wait.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sloppin John said:

I would consider doing the whole 20, but I'd want to train a bit first

Yeah it'll be a couple of months probably before you're comfortable going that long of a distance, but once you get your strength built up (you'll work muscles you never knew you had), you'll find that 20 miles is not really a challenge. I'm usually dying to get off my scooter when I ride 10 miles from my suburb to the city, but I can easily do a round trip on my EUC without a problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sloppin John said:

It's cool that we have similar purposes for our wheels! I had considered a bus option, and for that a lighter wheel would've definitely been the move. For the train, it's pretty ok hopping on at my station, and I'm going the opposite way of most people anyway. Given that, I still want weight to be manageable, but I'm OK up to 80 and definitely 60.

I wasn't planning on sharing this, but I created a little fake EUC training weight set and used it to dial in what I'm willing to lug up my spiral stairs:
image.thumb.png.66fdd3014fe3fdac83b5b8bc429e991c.png

I like to be prepared for what I'm getting into, though this is probably still pretty inaccurate, given the distribution of weight of an EUC. Regardless, I found 70 lbs heavy, but doable, 90 liftable and walkable, but stairs were too much. So I'm guessing that most things below 80 will be ok, unless they are particularly tall.

Please don't make fun of me for this.

Funny thing - i did the same with weights. :D:D:D (I have 25kg exercise weights.) I also had an option of trying to carry the wheel in store.. (I bought mine from walk in store.) Also i'm not a weakling - i could carry easily 100lbs with one hand.

All i'm saying that moment the weight was OKAYISH.. BUT have you tried to walk the same path with the test weight? It will be different than just trying out the weights in room, carrying them for 1-3 mins.. Take the weight out for a spin, carry them down your house - like you would EUC. And now think - will you be happy doing that daily? At least it's only 65lbs - 8lbs heavier than my 18xl. Yes - carrying that weight isn't a problem.. But doing that for years - you will want something lighter. IF you need to carry the wheel a lot that is. (I tould my daily exsample in before post..)

TEST vs real life = different story..

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Funky said:

TEST vs real life = different story..

I hear you, and I definitely wasn't attempting to say that it will be exactly as it'll be for my dummy wheel, but I did do some lugging around my house and up and down some spiral stairs. I live right at street level, so the most carrying I'll be doing will be at my stations. Ramps at the regional stations, elevator if I need it at the city stop but I'll most likely be taking the stairs. I'll also need to lift it getting on and off the train of course, and getting to my seat. I could theoretically put it in trolley mode, but I don't want to risk it.

I really appreciate your advice, and I'll definitely be on the lookout for lighter options in the future, though this still feels like my best bet since I'm in need of suspension.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sloppin John said:

I hear you, and I definitely wasn't attempting to say that it will be exactly as it'll be for my dummy wheel, but I did do some lugging around my house and up and down some spiral stairs. I live right at street level, so the most carrying I'll be doing will be at my stations. Ramps at the regional stations, elevator if I need it at the city stop but I'll most likely be taking the stairs. I'll also need to lift it getting on and off the train of course, and getting to my seat. I could theoretically put it in trolley mode, but I don't want to risk it.

I really appreciate your advice, and I'll definitely be on the lookout for lighter options in the future, though this still feels like my best bet since I'm in need of suspension.

Yeah if you don't have to carry for multiple floors.. Go V11Y - nothing can beat it at it's weight. Maybe S16 at ~30kg.. But having 18" tire is much more comfy ride than 16". Especially going on potholes and bumps, even small curbs..

V11/V11Y is only little bit heavier than my wheel. And even i could deal with extra 2-4kg weight.. But i personally have come to realize i normally don't gear up and ride around 20-25km/h speeds. And charge my 1554Wh battery once every 2 weeks.. Meaning i'm better be off getting something slower with smaller battery for weight savings. Easier to carry around and such.. I don't go for "fun" rides anymore - only commute to work. So i don't need more than ~40km/h speed from a wheel. I would be more happy getting something lighter for my next wheel. :thumbup: (Doh i will be losing "safety margins" by getting weaker/slower wheel..)

For you're case 100% get V11Y. Ofc if you don't want anything faster.. Battery wise (daily ~15miles) you will need to charge maybe 2-3 times per week. Maybe 4 times if you're going at faster speeds. (If you're only charging when battery drops down to ~50%) V11Y having 60km/h top speed - you can safely go 50km/h without any worry. Slower when battery drops under 85% i wanna say? Or around there.. As more empty battery gets - more max speed you loose. 

What speeds do you plan to travel anyways? :D 0-50km/h speeds V11Y would be perfect pick. Ridding close to it's 60km/h speed limit would be somewhat worrisome. 

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Sloppin John said:

I think it'll be between 30 and 50 km/h

In regards to gear, be sure to pick up a full face helmet, knee guards, either a motorcycle jacket with pads, or elbow guards, and some good riding shoes. You are going to crash a lot, especially when you are first learning. Normally I would say minimum gear if traveling slower than you can run is helmet and wrist guards, but while you're learning I'd also include knee guards.

When you start going faster than you can run then you really should be fully geared. Trust me, I've crashed at top speed on my V11 and if I had not be wearing full gear I would have been in a hospital. As it was I got right back up and continued on my trip with only a tiny bit of road rash .

There are a couple of schools of thought when it comes to the best shoe for EUC's do some homework and decide for yourself. Personally I like a flat soled sturdy work boot with ankle support, or basketball shoe. I can't overstate how much difference it makes in your ride quality and capability. Foot stability will decrease wobbles, reduce foot pain, and the stiff ankle support both protects your ankles from the EUC and it helps add to the stability of your stance. You really want to anchor your feet in as much as possible.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1