New rider, leaning towards V11 but looking for opinions

Each their own.. I only picked up knee/wrist guards and helmet - when i started to ride "faster" going over 30km/h speeds. While learning had zero gear. (Sure i fall 2 times, once did a belly flop. And second time while turning at sharper turn, bottom part of my body went to much sideways.. Did a sideway roll on ground.) Other than that nothing much. I also flew ~3 meter like a superman (I needed to walk back about that distance to get euc), but that time i had helmet, knee/wrist guards. Luckily i was ridding very loose sand, so landing didn't hurt at all. Wheel simply went 90 degree sideways in sand making me fly..

Daily commute (500 meter to train. From train to work 1.5km, vice versa together ~5km) i'm using only wrist guards nowadays. Only way i'm gonna crash is when EUC stops working. Got straight empty sidewalks. :D At morning i only see 1-2 people. And i know it's not a "IF", but "WHEN" im gonna crash - so be it. That's why i try to keep riding around 20km/h speeds. And back in mind i know any moment i can kiss the ground. :D 3 years so far so good. Knocking hard as DUCK on that Hard Wood.

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sloppin John said:

I also have some gloves from biking that I'll wear under the wrist guards.

This is a good idea that I've just realized recently. I've been looking far and wide for wind resistant winter gloves with a built in wrist guard for a while with no luck so I just opted for an XL wrist guard that I wear over my wind proof MC winter gloves.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Funky said:

Battery wise (daily ~15miles) you will need to charge maybe 2-3 times per week.

I doubt it. For the first year riders usually find any excuse at all to ride the long screen scenery route just to be able to ride as much as possible. ;) Which is just great!

3 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

I've been looking far and wide for wind resistant winter gloves with a built in wrist guard for a while with no luck

You might want to look into snowboarding mittens. Some of them have a wrist guard, and some even some rudimentary palm protectors. They can’t of course compare to proper wrist guards, but it’s the closest I’ve found in a single item.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I think I would try and split that plan into separate low profile wrist guards, and big weatherproof standard winter gloves over the top. I find this type of guard fits under most chunky winter gloves...

image.thumb.png.ebd04aefa35c666ce0d965d1cb59ceee.png

Only disadvantage of course is that the palm slidey bits are inside the gloves, so the gloves themselves should have leather palm sections if possible.

But I love these wrist guards and find they fit OVER thin Summer cycling gloves and under the bigger Winter ones, so adaptable and useful all year round, not to mention being the one of the cheapest yet most ideally suited to our hobby ! AND they don't sacrificially break in a crash like others I have tried before where the bar breaks as it saves your wrist.

I also got one smaller and one bigger size. (Same wrist guards) I have option of putting ones over gloves.. But i found out it's really a chore/hassle.. You need to open both straps and then put them true the holes each time you wanna put them over gloves.

At the end i simply started to use smaller ones and put my gloves over them. Yes i lost the "sliding" part of the wrist guards.. But at least when i fall - i won't break the wrists.

I'm using them old fashion "knitted" stretchy gloves. :D My ride is very short ~7 minutes.. Even at -20C my hands don't get cold.

And if there is ever a need for "real" winter gloves. I can use the bigger ones to put them over the gloves..

Edited by Funky

15 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I doubt it. For the first year riders usually find any excuse at all to ride the long screen scenery route just to be able to ride as much as possible. ;) Which is just great!

Didn't happen to me.

I at start only rode twice a month, or so.. (Just so battery won't sit to long unused.. Charged to 100% then went for ~50km ride, so battery goes down to ~50% and put away the wheel.) I didn't have work then. So i didn't need to leave house, go anywhere.

Nowadays i don't even go for "fun" rides.. To much time lost at work and i don't enjoy ridding around mindlessly. Already have seen every knock and cranny of my small town and it's close proximity.

Not everyone enjoys ridding EUC that much. :D I'm one of those rare cases who have joined the forum.

At least it beats ridding electric scooters. :thumbup:

Edited by Funky

19 minutes ago, Funky said:

You need to open both straps and then put them true the holes each time you wanna put them over gloves.

Lols - you need better removal technique ! ;) I can get mine off without dis-looping either strap !

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Lols - you need better removal technique ! ;) I can get mine off without dis-looping either strap !

I was talking about the "big puffy" winter gloves. You don't really have long enough straps for them. Even the large wrist guards hardly goes close when being over gloves.

Meaning even when removing they would slip out of the "holder holes"..

Edited by Funky

4 hours ago, Funky said:

At least it beats ridding electric scooters. :thumbup:

Absolutely! I've ridden electric scooters since COVID started to save on gas money, and I thought scooters were fun... until I discovered EUC's. Now my scooter sits sad, lonely, and unused while my V11 gets ridden absolutely everywhere. I make up excuses to ride it every day, partly because I want to improve my skills, but the larger part is that it's just so much fun to ride. I work from home, so riding 8-9 miles to work is entirely optional, and when I was on my scooter I basically never did. Now I do it pretty often just so that I can enjoy the ride.

Edited by skunkmonkey
  • Like 3