Master Inner Tube confusion

Recently tried to change my inner tube after the original got a tiny slow leak, and used this one, which I promptly managed to rip in 2 places trying to get the damn tyre back on, despite being fully aware of the risk, and being as careful as I could to avoid it, so then I had to patch the original and that went back in OK, and we're good for now. But, and I don't think this was me imagining it, but the original Begode inner tube appeared to be considerably thicker and more durable than the MTB inner tube I was trying to replace it with.

Anyone know where I can get another one of those extra thick ones in the right size for a Standard Master, as I am not convinced the one in the link above is the same ?

Cheers

Edited by Cerbera

Perhaps don't buy "bicycle" tube, but moped/motorcycle tube? :D 

I bought 18x2.5 aftermarket tube with straight 90 degree valve - it was much thicket and now having the valve positioned 90 degree - easy air refill. The valve is positioned right out of wheel side. Any pump head goes right on.. (Valve stem is perpendicular from tube.)

If you don't ride off-road, there is no danger of something catching against the valve. (Tearing the valve off..) Highly recommend the 90 degree valve. And no, it isn't long enough to hit wheel well, case.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

3319623267.jpg

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Brahan Seer said:

I got a couple of these and was very impressed. Great quality, thick and arrived very quickly, like less than 2 weeks..

image.thumb.png.d2fb97b91f890f0057076d8443624092.png

Dude - have you got an actual link for that - google only finds me some car dealer in Birmingham !

26 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Dude - have you got an actual link for that - google only finds me some car dealer in Birmingham !

It's Aliexpress - You're welcome.

~10 Euro. Skip middle man - buy directly. :D 

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-18x3.0.html?SearchText=18x3.0&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20230921110849&spm=a2g0o.productlist.1000002.0&trafficChannel=main&g=y&sortType=total_tranpro_desc

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Funnily enough @Planemo I was just gonna post about exactly that ! Behold ! The difference between a 18 x 2.5 bicycle inner tube and a 2.75 x 14 MC inner tube - both ostensibly the same size; ie both will fit a wheel with 14 inch rim and between 18-20 inch overall diameter, but serious differences in thickness, and robustness overall ! The MC one just seems to have a LOT more material to it, and is much heavier. Once you hold one you can sort of tell it's what a Master requires.

image.thumb.png.f2fe86ca0c6ce67cbb604630a53185ce.png  image.thumb.png.f504321e6758abbffaf689732db1082b.png

image.png.23e010b3c269276be25d6693cf71b669.png

I ripped the bike one twice trying to install it on a Master. The bike tube was originally for my MS3 but I was previously advised here it would fit the Master. and indeed it did, but was too weak and pathetic to stand up to the insane forces we need to get an MC tyre over it, even with the proper tools...

The 2.75 x 14 was sent by speedyfeet and took just a day to get here, though I did pay a bit OTT for it (£34), but I did that knowingly, wanting to support them. I did also order the one above from AliXP, which I think will turn out to be the same thing but just £9 including postage !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

Yeah you gotta be careful what you're ordering ;)

I always go the 2.75x14 route cos that will nearly always be an MC type. But you still need to be careful, it could still be a 14" bicycle type. It's a bit of a minefield to know what you are actually gonna get especially when it's someone like Ali where its difficult to confirm specs due to the language barrier.

Huh i got that one with blue line.. And that one was already thicker than my original tube! How thick is the 2.75 then. :D 

But by looks - it looks like the first one in photo.. It also has those "side lines". Just same blue line and 18x2.50 text on it.

Edited by Funky

The information I provided gives you exactly the same inner tube you get with your 18" EUC. Although you can get 2.75 with 18" tubes, and some EUC's have slightly less rim width than 3" too, I have read it is fine to use a wider tube 3" and is better in some ways as it reduces the risk of snake bites. Whether this is true or not doesn't really matter. As the inner tube is exactly the same as the original.

We all know the way they describe everything EUC related is very confusing so I appreciate it can be hard to tell what you need to buy.

I supported my local supplier buying a tyre from them, but don't appreciate the 300% markup on inner tubes. Plus the postage would have made it much worse too.

Edited by The Brahan Seer

15 hours ago, Funky said:

Huh i got that one with blue line..

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on a 'blue line'. Many different tubes have it.

15 hours ago, Funky said:

How thick is the 2.75 then. :D 

No idea, but I will deffo measure my 'thick' one when I pull it out soon as I have a very slow leak somewhere. I know it's a thick 'MC' type because as soon as you handle it, it feels far more substantial than a regular bicycle tube.

Cerbera's pics and thoughts clearly show the difference though between a 'proper' MC tube and a bicycle one. Of course both will work, and in relation to fitting, a tyre lever shouldn't be making contact with ANY tube but the MC tubes are definitely preferable in terms of robustness. They do seem to be a lot more money though, £34 is shocking but until I can confirm that an Ali one at say £7~£10 is the same spec I can't honestly say that paying £25~£35 is overpriced. I will look into this further though as I do resent paying over £15 for an inner tube!

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

I can't honestly say that paying £25~£35 is overpriced.

I'm talking about the ones you get from the EUC dealers for EUC's that are exactly the same as the one I ordered on aliexpress.

I have it on my S18. 

The inner tubes are thicker than a normal cycle one. Whether its a M/C one doesn't matter as its the same as what is supplied with all EUC's and I'm not hearing anyone complain about them.

Now you can either take my word for it and save yourself a lot of grief or you can distrust everything I say and waste yourself time and money buying a 14" tube just to check or other brands I don't care.

I don't know whats happened in your life but you certainly have trust issues or are just over 50 and like being argumentative just for the sake of it.

Wow!

No idea whats fired you up, I'm trying to help out by distinguishing the different types of tubes and that I wouldn't want anyone to fit a basic cycle tube by mistake.

I'm actually trying to save people money and effort, as you are.

We all appreciate your screenshot if that makes you feel better.

I guess no one can talk about tubes or suppliers except you.

Seems like you're the one being the miserable old git.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, inner tubes are a pain. Half a year ago an original inner tube in my MSX died after 10k km and I finally got a fitting one after 3 purchases.
The size that fits the MSuperX is 2.5-2.75/14 - yes, 14 inches. 16 inches is too big. For a 3.0' - 19' unicycle. The naming scheme of unicycle tires/tubes makes no sense.
I've been unable to buy a tube with a curved valve, so I just brute forced it until I managed to fill it with air.

I hope this tube also lasts 10k km because I don't fancy replacing it again...

Edited by atdlzpae

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2023 at 6:39 PM, The Brahan Seer said:

I got a couple of these and was very impressed. Great quality, thick and arrived very quickly, like less than 2 weeks..

image.thumb.png.d2fb97b91f890f0057076d8443624092.png

My one of these arrived today from the land of the Rising Sun, and.... it IS a 2.75 x 14 MC tyre (AFAICS) incorrectly labelled as an 18 x 3, with the blue stripe ! And it came with a valve cap, which the expensive Speedy Feet one didn't !

So that is indeed a proper bargain, and looks like the place to go for all Master tubes in the future... good shout @The Brahan Seer...

• Like 1