I ride with -5 the recommended PSI tire pressure because it helps with speed wobbles

Vam Monaco

Yes. Snake bites (tube puncture) and rim damage, from for example a sudden pot hole. And of course possible instability issues.

But, “recommendations” are generally all over the place. I haven’t seen any that would properly cover all tire sizes, rider weights and riding styles. Not even the spreadsheet I myself shared here a few years back… :lol: So following “recommendations” doesn’t tell us anything about the pressures you are using.

Edited by mrelwood

If you don't bottom out, and you don't have unpredictable steering, then it's not a terrible thing. You can take advantage of the extra comfort.

But if you do lots of hard accelerations/braking, jumps, and only check your pressure once every month or two, then best not go too low. 

• Upvote 1

Lots of people ride with high PSI (myself included) and get no speed wobbles whatsoever, so that is not a great reason to ride at low PSI IMO. Of course you can ride at whatever PSI you choose and a lot of people find it more comfortable riding with low PSI I'm just taking argument with your reason of doing so which sounds like an excuse. 😁

Youtuber Duf (EUC Army) is so bow-legged that he can't touch the upper pads without strain, so he lowers tire pressure to avoid wobbles, but does not do drops off curbs, and mostly rides on the bike lanes of paved streets without potholes. 

Lower T.P. = bigger footprint = more traction = not as nimble = little bit harder going in reverse.

I run my two trail wheels ( s18 & McM5v2) at lower pressures, and my street s18 at around 30 PSI. 
 I’m guessing I’m around 175 lbs geared up.

Really you always want to be in the Goldilocks zone of TP. What that is is something you're going to have to figure out for yourself but I would generally err away from being too low. IE I'd rather error on the high side than the low side. And from what I've experienced there is a pretty narrow margin of PSI range to work within.