Should you buy a spare replacement board right away when you buy a short-lived (e.g. Begode model frenzy) wheel?

MOD edit: Split off from here.

On 6/20/2023 at 7:01 AM, Planemo said:

Truth be told, this fact is scaring me off buying an EX20S, a wheel which has specs that would be perfect for me.

For a wheel like this, you need to order a mathcing replacement board along with it. Just in case.

And it's hard to say if any new Begode wheel/production batch will be a longer term thing (like RS)  or turn out to be a "wheel like this" (2 weeks later something is different). They should certainy offer some predictability to their dealers.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

For a wheel like this, you need to order a mathcing replacement board along with it. Just in case.

I think thats a given with any Begode tbh, but already spare parts are looking thin. Somewhat irritating when I can get all spares for a 5 year old Z10 but struggle to get a board for a Begode thats barely a year old. At least the MSX series had a decent run, these new wheels are a bit of a gamble. Bloody expensive paperweight if a board blows.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Planemo said:

not to mention the availability of parts for repair/warranty work which is a sure-fire way of pi$$ing off customers who bought a wheel just 6 months ago. Truth be told, this fact is scaring me off buying an EX20S, a wheel which has specs that would be perfect for me.

Wait, what? I do own an EX20S that I bought a couple of months ago - are you saying that there are no more spare parts available for it?

30 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

Wait, what? I do own an EX20S that I bought a couple of months ago - are you saying that there are no more spare parts available for it?

It's hard to say. Begode do order spare parts made all the time a wheel is still in production, but once a model has been superseded they have the stock they have of the older spares, and that's usually it, unless, as mentioned above, it's one of the long-term models that gets longer term repeat manufacturing runs. People have been whinging at Gotway / Begode about this for quite some time, so although I have absolutely nothing in the way of concrete proof of such an assertion, I would hope that they might have upped the number of spare parts they make with more recent machines.

Often a way to check if spares are still available is to check on AliXpress by searching for 'model name + parts'. And in the case of the EX-20S it's not great news so far - a search for that reveals only complete machines, whereas if we search the EX30, which is still in production, there are still loads of places to get the mainboard for that. Conversely, there are still parts available for my Master, presumably because that model was still in production until very recently, and they made more of 'em, for longer, being, as it was, a relatively big seller...

And if Ali don't have them, then your only remaining hope is the dealer you got it from, or that another one also ordered replacement parts when the batch came in, and still has the bit you need remaining...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

Echoing what Cerbera said, best thing to do is search the internet for spares for the wheel and see for yourself what is offered. Ali has very little and not a lot came up for the EX20S in general. Without a doubt, Begode are the worst out there simply because they bring out new models at what seems like every 6 minutes. Given the motherboard is probably the most likely thing to fail on any wheel, I would deffo want a spare if I had a Begode. Most other parts (suspension/frame etc) could be kept in service either by DIY or via a decent workshop if completely new parts needed to be machined. Even battery packs can be re-celled. Obviously bearings/tyres etc aren't a problem either. But MoBo....definitely not.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

I'd consider buying a replacement board right away, as long as they still can be found, just to be safe. The EX20S really was a short-lived transition wheel. Unlikely the board will fail, but if it fails later and you can't get a replacement then, that would be an expensive paperweight indeed.

It's up to you whether you accept the risk or waste a lot of money on a board you might likely never need (though maybe someone else would be happy to find a board for sale some day).

3 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It's up to you whether you accept the risk or waste a lot of money on a board you might likely never need (though maybe someone else would be happy to find a board for sale some day).

Yeah, I'm having exactly that dilemma with the Master. Buy a spare MB now while I can or save the cash (which I don't exactly have spare) and take the risk...

39 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah, I'm having exactly that dilemma with the Master. Buy a spare MB now while I can or save the cash (which I don't exactly have spare) and take the risk...

What batch is your Master? If it's an earlier batch, I'd consider getting the board NOW while Begode can even still identify which of the zillion board variants you would need;) If it's the latest, which seems a little more stable, then I hope you'll be good without a board. Or at least in good company in your potential misery.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

What batch is your Master? 

V2, with the 2 big capacitors. I don't do crazy stuff with my wheel, so it's not like it's at constant risk of blow-out from extreme riding or anything.

Edited by Cerbera

4 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

V2, with the 2 big capacitors.

That's an early batch, right? Let's say... hmm... might not be a bad idea. I honestly can't say for sure. Sucks to spend like 250 (or some similar ripoff price) on what is quite likely unnecessary. On the other hand... yea. That situation sucks one way or the other.

6 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I believe it was batch 3, when they were just starting to get them right ! :)

Is it the latest board or not? Because if not, they will run out of matching boards fast, I guess.

The chance of board failure is tiny, though, but bad luck would mean you lose a lot of money. No good option here. I can't tell you what to do.

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

or save the cash (which I don't exactly have spare)

My sentiment exactly, why I hesitate to spend 3000+ on a Begode. Hundreds more just to be safe is essentially just a hidden price increase, and that price might be too much for me to consider it.

I'm not really concerned whether I could get a board for a, say, Patton in 2 years' time, should I need one.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

Is it the latest board or not? Because if not, they will run out of matching boards fast, I guess.

I believe not, as I have seen the V3 boards which went back to the smaller capacitors and more of them.

I'll mail speedyfeet and see if they ordered any spares with their batch...

Just now, Cerbera said:

I believe not, as I have seen the V3 boards which went back to the smaller capacitors and more of them.

I'll mail speedyfeet and see if they ordered any spares with their batch...

Ask if the latest board is compatible with your Master. That would be enough. And for me enough to live with the danger and expect to get a matching board somewhere if you really ever need one.

• Thanks 1

Replacement boards are pricey and 2nd hand prices (in China) relatively low. That means that it's often cheaper to fix the board or get a 2nd hand one. I bet their board sales are mostly for export, unless it's a very new model.