Just crashed

I just crashed and this popped of my ks16x and I was still able to ride it home. But it just turned off just now and I am attempting to put the wires back in but the will not go and I don't think I can solder these. If I order a replacement I still will have to wire it right?

IMG_20230620_162949.jpg

IMG_20230620_162945.jpg

19 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

I still will have to wire it right?

I would think the other end has a plug on it, but i honestly no nothing about the 16x

18 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

there was a spark sound and a burning smell.

shouldn't be hard to find unfortunately...:(  look for the burn spot on the board. Sorry to hear about your crash etc. Hope you are ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onewheelkoregro said:

Accidentally crossed some wires trying to get it back into the unit and there was a spark sound and a burning smell. Gml

Fml

disconnect the battery first!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I would think the other end has a plug on it, but i honestly no nothing about the 16x

shouldn't be hard to find unfortunately...:(  look for the burn spot on the board. Sorry to hear about your crash etc. Hope you are ok.

Aside from my wounded ego I am ok. I sent the data log to Kingsong and photos of the damage. Hopefully they get back to me soon. I honestly don't know why this happened

• Like 1

I honestly don't think I caused the crash. I was at a stop light in between two cars the first one went I was accelerating behind it, not too hard either, no bumps or nothing, pedals dipped forward and the wheel just threw me. Well if anyone can read this data log that would be great

EUC data 2023-06-20 073436.csv

22 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

Aside from my wounded ego I am ok

Good to hear. As @Robse said make sure the battery is unplugged  and i would keep the wheel somewhere safe in the event it catches fire. Not to say that it will but after a crash, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 1

A .csv file always tells us a lot about a crash. In this case, it tells us that you were riding at 40km/h, at around 74V in the battery, using around 1000W of power. And then the wheel stopped balancing and actually started regenerating power since you had a good speed going on. There were no signs of strong acceleration or pot holes. I can’t think of anything other than a board failure.

Glad you weren’t hurt any worse.

But yeah, don’t go pushing unknown torn wires into unknown places. It can hurt too. :lol:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

A .csv file always tells us a lot about a crash. In this case, it tells us that you were riding at 40km/h, at around 74V in the battery, using around 1000W of power. And then the wheel stopped balancing and actually started regenerating power since you had a good speed going on. There were no signs of strong acceleration or pot holes. I can’t think of anything other than a board failure.

Glad you weren’t hurt any worse.

But yeah, don’t go pushing unknown torn wires into unknown places. It can hurt too. :lol:

Appreciate it that sir! Hopefully Kingsong will fix this wheel because I really don't do anything crazy with my PEVs. Just commuting around town. Looks like I will be back to pedaling my ebike until I hear back from Kingsong USA

I trace the accident to 7:42:30 in the log. You're traveling at 40km/h and suddenly the battery voltage increased by 2V like the load on the motor/board just eased up a lot. Why, no idea.

Unexplicable stuff like this is the most annoying.

It looks like this was very early into the ride because the board temp was only 30C. OR you have a cooling problem. It seems to me that a board should get warmer than that after riding at an average of 33km/h for a few minutes, with starts and stops, and hitting 47km/h.

Unusually cool board temp is the only problem I can see. What was the ambient temperature at the time? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cool board temps CAN be a sign that some of your mosfets aren't transferring their heat into the heatsink. I'm pretty sure this is why my MSX84 blew a mosfet at almost no power output, on a hot summer day.

I'm not saying this is what happened to you. I'm just mentioning it as a possibility. 

• Like 1

So this is mf great! Kingsong customer support hasn't reviewed the log data and are now blaming me and saying that I now have to fix my Kingsong myself because they say there were no problems with my batch. Even though the wheel literally threw me during normal operation and is no pretty much non functional because of the resulting crash. So just to clarify I financed this wheel and have paid roughly $800 dollars so I have roughly $1200 left to pay for a wheel that I can't even use anymore! To say I am disappointed with Kingsong customer service is an understatement. If this remains unresolved I will never buy another Kingsong product in my life.

Screenshot_20230621-051629~2.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I trace the accident to 7:42:30 in the log. You're traveling at 40km/h and suddenly the battery voltage increased by 2V like the load on the motor/board just eased up a lot. Why, no idea.

Unexplicable stuff like this is the most annoying.

It looks like this was very early into the ride because the board temp was only 30C. OR you have a cooling problem. It seems to me that a board should get warmer than that after riding at an average of 33km/h for a few minutes, with starts and stops, and hitting 47km/h.

Unusually cool board temp is the only problem I can see. What was the ambient temperature at the time? 

This is a good point!

I can tell you from experience that my 16X has never been below 33 degrees working temperature, not even if after a long trip in minus 5 degrees cold. Conversely, I can't push it higher than 48 degrees either - which requires a trip in the weather like it is here right now (+28 degrees) and then a lot of hill climbing + back and forth (pendulum).

I got my msx board fixed by a third party (in China), for a fraction of what an new board costs. I don't know if such a service is available in your country. Diy electricians with a good understanding of electrical motors could perhaps help have a look. I sent the board over to the guy.

It sucks that you're still paying for the wheel. Considering it was a 40km/h failure you should be celebrating you didn't injure yourself badly. Money is secondary.

I'd maybe spend a small amount on a smaller wheel like a V8 or older Tesla (these wheels are cheap) and thus have something to ride on while fixing the 16X without breaking the bank.

• Like 1

Also when you unplug both battery packs - try to power up the EUC. So all the charge go away.. (The CAPS are still holding some charge.)

Also by crossing the wires you may have  COOKED your motherboard.. Instead of a 30$ part, now you may need 300$ part... Did you learn something? ALWAYS disconnect battery packs before doing any work around wires. Especially broken ones, Jesus.

Also that light will have a plug - motherboard side. You may attempt soldering the wires. (UNPLUG from motherboard fist.)

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Robse said:

This is a good point!

I can tell you from experience that my 16X has never been below 33 degrees working temperature, not even if after a long trip in minus 5 degrees cold. Conversely, I can't push it higher than 48 degrees either - which requires a trip in the weather like it is here right now (+28 degrees) and then a lot of hill climbing + back and forth (pendulum).

After about 20 mins ridding at 35km/h speeds. My 18xl board normally runs around 45-60C in 25+C temps. Motor ~65C (No hills just flat roads.)

Maybe you got too "cool" board also? Or maybe mine is to dam "hot". :D 

2 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

So this is mf great! Kingsong customer support hasn't reviewed the log data and are now blaming me and saying that I now have to fix my Kingsong myself because they say there were no problems with my batch. Even though the wheel literally threw me during normal operation and is no pretty much non functional because of the resulting crash. So just to clarify I financed this wheel and have paid roughly $800 dollars so I have roughly $1200 left to pay for a wheel that I can't even use anymore! To say I am disappointed with Kingsong customer service is an understatement. If this remains unresolved I will never buy another Kingsong product in my life.

Screenshot_20230621-051629~2.png

Where did you buy it from? Right from kingsong or some dealer? If from dealer - you need to talk with them.. Warranty and such things.

Do you think anyone would give you anything in return after crashing. In their eyes you simply crashed the wheel and now want a new one..

Did the wheel still work, before you crossed the wires?  Also check fuses on motherboard - maybe they just blew.. (Hope you didn't burn the motherboard.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Funky said:

After about 20 mins ridding at 35km/h speeds. My 18xl board normally runs around 45-60C in 25+C temps. Motor ~65C (No hills just flat roads.)

Where did you buy it from? Right from kingsong or some dealer? If from dealer - you need to talk with them.. Warranty and such things.

Do you think anyone would give you anything in return after crashing. In their eyes you simply crashed the wheel and now want a new one..

Did the wheel still work, before you crossed the wires?  Also check fuses on motherboard - maybe they just blew.. (Hope you didn't burn the motherboard.)

It's just upsetting to me knowing I didn't cause the crash and am now stuck paying for a wheel I cannot use either. I purchased through Amazon from Kingsong. I thought the year warranty would cover this but they are saying it was user error and not a failure on their end.

3 hours ago, Funky said:

The wheel was still on after spinning up and it balanced and I rode home at probably 30-35 km/h not pushing it because my knee hurt really bad. I'm at work rn not too badly banged up

53 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

The wheel was still on after spinning up and it balanced and I rode home at probably 30-35 km/h not pushing it because my knee hurt really bad. I'm at work rn not too badly banged up

Did you mention to kingsong that motherboard was running very cool? (If I'm getting it right from the previous mentioned .csv comments..) Meaning the mosfets weren't really "screwed" down and didn't properly conduct heat to heatsink? <<< You could fight a warranty case with that. But still.. The wheel powered up after crash.. So it didn't blow up the board..

How long where you in ride and what temps where the board at failure time?? Also what temperature where outside that day? And what's your weight? < All that could give us a idea if board was faulty. (At least temperature wise faulty.) And if .csv file shows very low board temp. That right there is sign of faulty board and warranty case.

Even if only temp sensor was faulty, it can lead to other problems. Like EUC not knowing when it's overheating.. (EUC shows 40C, but in reality it's 85+C)

I meant does the wheel turn on now, after you crossed those wires.. (Before it worked still.)

Edited by Funky

11 minutes ago, Funky said:

Did you mention to kingsong that motherboard was running very cool? (If I'm getting it right from the previous mentioned .csv comments..) Meaning the mosfets weren't really "screwed" down and didn't properly conduct heat to heatsink? <<< You could fight a warranty case with that. But still.. The wheel powered up after crash.. So it didn't blow up the board..

How long where you in ride and what temps where the board at failure time?? Also what temperature where outside that day? And what's your weight? < All that could give us a idea if board was faulty. (At least temperature wise faulty.) And if .csv file shows very low board temp. That right there is sign of faulty board and warranty case.

Even if only temp sensor was faulty, it can lead to other problems. Like EUC not knowing when it's overheating.. (EUC shows 40C, but in reality it's 85+C)

I meant does the wheel turn on now, after you crossed those wires.. (Before it worked still.)

It was probably around 80 F when I was heading home into a 20mph wind. I weigh 208 now down from 260 when I first was learning to ride. I tried plugging it in this morning to see if it would turn on again, nothing. So when I get home from work today I will begin disassembly and have to examine the board. I am just disappointed that I was using it as intended and they are saying that it was user error and they are not at fault whatsoever. If I was recording my trip I possibly could've been injured more because of the stick I would've been holding. I have been dealing with wind for a while now so that is why I was not accelerating like crazy heading from the light because I did not want to overpower the wheel and have it throw me, which it did anyway.

• Like 2

I'm sorry that you crashed and that it was due to a faulty wheel. I hope that you can get it repaired under warranty because the .csv file shows that your wheel wasn't performing withing normal parameters. I'm thankful that you didn't get hurt.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

I'm sorry that you crashed and that it was due to a faulty wheel. I hope that you can get it repaired under warranty because the .csv file shows that your wheel wasn't performing withing normal parameters. I'm thankful that you didn't get hurt.

I appreciate it. But it looks like Kingsong is not responding to my emails after they determined that it was "user error". I was planning on buying a KS S22 after I paid this off. But I am going to pay it off when I get off today and I will never consider buying another Kingsong wheel. I chose them because of their "safety" but after this I do not think I can justify giving them any more money after refusing to repair the wheel and blaming the user instead of making it right.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1