First EUC purchase help

Hi, I am looking to buy an EUC. What do you guys suggest?

I will only be riding on paved roads (mainly flat bike lanes)
Ideal top speed of 20 mph
Minimum range of 30 miles
I am 5'10", 175 lbs
Since I am riding on smooth bike lanes, I am not sure if I want one with suspension
Hoping to spend no more than $750USD (on the bike itself), my friend will lend me his armour.
It will be used for leisure mostly, maybe as transportation once in a blue moon

I kinda like the ones that have the bar and handle (like a carry-on suitcase) for transportation. Are those useful?

• Like 1

What’s making this difficult is that there aren’t any EUCs of any kind available at $750. And 30 mile models rarely go even that low second hand. I really don’t know what else to tell you.

• Like 1

You can't get a new EUC for that money, because they are by necessity more expensive than that.

If you find something used for that budget, then you could post a link here and we can evaluate whether that's a good deal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, feeelx said:

Hi, I am looking to buy an EUC. What do you guys suggest?

I will only be riding on paved roads (mainly flat bike lanes)
Ideal top speed of 20 mph
Minimum range of 30 miles
I am 5'10", 175 lbs
Since I am riding on smooth bike lanes, I am not sure if I want one with suspension
Hoping to spend no more than $750USD (on the bike itself), my friend will lend me his armour.
It will be used for leisure mostly, maybe as transportation once in a blue moon

I kinda like the ones that have the bar and handle (like a carry-on suitcase) for transportation. Are those useful?

KS16S but don't go faster than 18MPH. And it's over 1000$. It can do about ~30 miles.

For 750$ - Only used market.

Going strictly by budget, a V5F might be the closest at ~$1000CAD.
Keep an eye on the used market if you're really aiming to keep the cost down, but I'd consider something like a Tesla T3, 18xl, or 16x. My V10F gets around a 32km range if I'm cruising around 30km/h. But I'm also looking to upgrade since I've outgrown this one.
What part of Canada are you in?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BlueJay said:

Going strictly by budget, a V5F might be the closest at ~$1000CAD.
Keep an eye on the used market if you're really aiming to keep the cost down, but I'd consider something like a Tesla T3, 18xl, or 16x. My V10F gets around a 32km range if I'm cruising around 30km/h. But I'm also looking to upgrade since I've outgrown this one.
What part of Canada are you in?

18xl easily gets 65km range and i'm 280lbs. Someone half of my weight could get 80km range. 16x is the same. And i'm cruising around 35km/h.

And yes i have done 100%-0% range test myself. After riding for 40km my battery is around 50%/73V, from 100%/84V.

18xl would be amazing first wheel, it can go 32mph speeds, so he will have plenty of headroom. I also wanted to ride around 20mph speeds. But after 3 weeks i was already going in 22-24mph range. I TRONGLY RECOMEND getting bigger EUC than you really think you want.

I am so tankful that i went with 32mph wheel instead of 20mph wheel... 20mph can be grown out really fast. 32mph can be a keeper for many years.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

Hey, what a great community you guys are with helpful feedback.

I am getting this mainly to be on something on wheels with my fianceé and she doesn't go very fast on a bicycle so speed is the last of my concern - thanks for that though.

I am interested in the v5f but it seems like an older EUC and can't find anywhere selling a new one anymore. If I were to buy a used EUC, what kinda things should I be looking out for? It'll probably not be under warranty either.

To the fellow Canadian, I'm in Vancouver.

I'm going to the EUC store in a few hours to see what's in store as well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, feeelx said:

If I were to buy a used EUC, what kinda things should I be looking out for?

There are of course several things that only people who are experienced with EUCs can check, but the first and most important thing is to check that it charges up to full 100%. If not, the range is limited and the battery is dying soon. And batteries are expensive to replace.

V5F is a very small wheel and I think it maxes out at 15.5mph. The small size makes it a bit unstable already at those speeds, so the travel speed is even lower.

You should look at 16S, V10F, 16X and 18XL in the hopes that you’d find a good enough deal (2nd hand).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

after going to the store, i am leaning more towards the v8f now, i know it's more than my budget but I don't really want to buy second-hand EUC anymore. Now just looking for best price online. Thanks all.

A V8F cannot do the 30 miles you want (unless you go like walking speed). The battery is just too small for that. If you can compromise on the range, it's a decent wheel. Depending on your speed, I'd expect something like 15-20 miles out of it.

Low price points just don't seem to work very well (or not at all) with EUCs.

Also, you have a EUC store! Is it good? Why not buy from them? Prices tend to be the same everywhere, unless this is an exception.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Also, you have a EUC store! Is it good? Why not buy from them? Prices tend to be the same everywhere, unless this is an exception.

Also at some stores the price can be talked. My 18xl price was 1999$ at the time. But i got it for 1850$ - that's 149$ discount. Doh same time i was buying honeycomb pedals that where ~220$. Maybe that's why they gave discount for EUC.. Still, you could say i got honeycomb pedals for 70$ :thumbup:

Gotta love local EUC stores. <3

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

@feeelx, I was going to suggest the V8F too, but as mentioned, it doesn't quite reach your criteria and it's over budget. Since you have a local EUC shop you are so fortunate, especially if they will unbox, test and deliver the device to you because there is a historic 5%-10% ( see the Ewheels chart https://www.ewheels.com/electric-unicycle-ultimate_ewheel_comparison_ips_airwheel_ninebot_king_song_gotway/ ) failure rate on the V8F. The King Song 16S is likely a lot more fun to ride than the V8F. You would probably be thrilled with either one though!

• Upvote 1

hey, yeah, we got a local EV store - it's pretty cool, they got a huge selection of EUCs, e-scooters, electric long boards, and more. they even give free lessons on weekends. I was just about to pull the trigger on the v8f online for 1.3k but since someone said the price is negotiable. I will try my luck since the store is selling for 1.4k.

my 30 miles range in my original post was the advertised range but after learning the advertised range is never the range u get, I'm ok with the v8f range.

• Like 1

my glide3 was my first euc and i rode it alot including thru paved trails in the provincial parks.  it served me well for 2 seasons before i got my old tesla V2.  so for your current riding needs and your first wheel,  you have chosen wisely.  for the same money you can get a used euc that would have more power and range but i dont know how easy it is to find out the true mileage on its battery, and whether or not the battery can still hold a 100% charge.  enjoy your wheel,  your first riding season will be fantastic !!!

• 2 months later...