Used Mosfets in new electric unicycles

Leionar27

Hi,

I heard that in 2022, Euc manufacturers put a lot of used mosfets in their productions , because of the lack of electronic parts.

Is it true ? That could explains why wheels before 2022 seems more reliable.

I ordered the new ks 16x with honeycomb pedals and integraded power pads (2023 production) and I'm scared about this story of used mosfets ...

Edited by Leionar27

39 minutes ago, Leionar27 said:

Hi,

I heard that in 2022, Euc manufacturers put a lot of used mosfets in their productions , because of the lack of electronic parts.

Is it true ? That could explains why wheels before 2022 seems more reliable.

I ordered the new ks 16x with honeycomb pedals and integraded power pads (2023 production) and I'm scared about this story of used mosfets ...

Funny how rumors works, I've never ever heard this before, right now you are the only person saying it.

here https://youtu.be/oDVDSLlR-go?t=1562

I time tagged the moment when they talked about it ( english subtitles are available) , hope it works, if not go to 26min of the video.

It's a famous french shop which sells/repairs electric unicycles , electric scooters.

They said that in 2022 in china , manufacturers bought a lot of used/second hand mosfets (to who ? I dont know) because there was a big shortage of electronic parts , they didn't have choice. 

And shop employees noticed it on the motherboards when they opened electric scooters and unicycles in last years.

Edited by Leionar27

3 minutes ago, Leionar27 said:

here https://youtu.be/oDVDSLlR-go?t=1562

I time tagged the moment when they talked about it , hope it works, if not go to 26min of the video.

It's a famous french shop which sells/repairs electric unicycles , electric scooters.

They said that in 2022 in china , manufacturers bought a lot of used mosfets (to who ? I dont know) because there was a big lack of electronic parts , they didn't have choice. 

And shop employees noticed it on the motherboards when they opened electric scooters and unicycles in last years.

Doesn't make a lot of sense, how would you know that it was already used?

10 minutes ago, Leionar27 said:

I don't know , did u see the video ? why would they lie

This YouTube video doesn't mean anything, the burden of proof is on these guys making the claim, it sounds ridiculous but if they have proof they should present them but from the video it seems like just a moment of loose gossip.

Don't forget also about used plastics, which have been melted down from old landfill toys. Same goes for all metal parts and wiring.

If you think about it. You may been riding on someone's old toilet seat. And motherboards are "cut" down printer boards. :D 

The first post of this thread is pure FUD right out of the gate. Spreading FUD,  Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, all based on OP's ignorance. 

The V12 HS 1st & 2nd batches suffered under-spec'd mosfets. Moreover, I changed my own driver board. I found no evidence of used mosfets. One can check the original mosfets, and can verified that they were indeed were under spec'd. And the mosfets on the new replacement boards were properly spec'd mosfets.

As for the S20/S22, Jack-ex-Kingsong, ex-Marketing Director at Kingsong said in his video that he was told by Kingsong engineers not to accelerate hard from rest, or the mosfets will get fried. Then there was the matter of the stator slipping issue that caused burning out of the controller. 

Moreover, Jack of Electric Dreams YouTube channel was one of the instigators who inspired riders to ride up steeper hills. Jack justify this stunt by calling them stress tests, when he was clearly operating outside the design point. However, the manufacturers subsequently took the failures as a challenge and came out with must more robust controller boards. Mosfets count continued to climb.

And last but not least, there was Begode. But that is just same old, same old, at least not until the EX30. You can't tell Begode failures were due to used mosfets or Begode being Gotway because they have been cutting corners like forever. :)

As a whole, the newer wheels' controllers were more robust than those from earlier years. However, riders rode their wheels harder, performing boinking, bigger jumps, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

To be fair with the known bathtub-curve of reliability of electronic componenets used and proven MOSFETS might actually be safer than brand new ones...

The second and third flights of Elon Musk's Falcon 9 rockets are the most expensive ones to book now, because SpaceX estimates they have a better chance of success than even a brand new rocket.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

To be fair with the known bathtub-curve of reliability of electronic componenets used and proven MOSFETS might actually be safer than brand new ones...

The second and third flights of Elon Musk's Falcon 9 rockets are the most expensive ones to book now, because SpaceX estimates they have a better chance of success than even a brand new rocket.

Very interesting , thanks

I'd guess that it's true that they've tried to use used components, but that it stopped if there were problems. There are lots of riders within China and they have a bit of influence over the manufacturers. If certain wheels were failing it would have been pointed out, and hardware replaced.

On the other hand, if the use of used components didn't result in problems, those practices could continue today.

Even if used mosfets were indeed used in production, it was not the culprit for the high controller board failure rates in Inmotion V12's and Kingsong S22's in 2022. And these two wheels made up for most of the failures. 

In the V12 case, there was a warranty replacement program implemented. And the new driver boards used completely different mosfets. 

Whereas, in the S22 case, the high failure rate settled right down after the original motors got replaced with pinned ones

Bottom line, so far, no one has found the smoking gun that can prove the high failure rates of electric wheels in 2022 were due to the used of recycled mosfets in 2022.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Even if used mosfets were indeed used in production, it was not the culprit for the high controller board failure rates in Inmotion V12's and Kingsong S22's in 2022. And these two wheels made up for most of the failures. 

In the V12 case, there was a warranty replacement program implemented. And the new driver boards used completely different mosfets. 

Whereas, in the S22 case, the high failure rate settled right down after the original motors got replaced with pinned ones

Bottom line, so far, no one has found the smoking gun that can prove the high failure rates of electric wheels in 2022 were due to the used of recycled mosfets in 2022.

You have no statistics to prove that S22 had highest controller failure rate, it's a totally subjective opinion that you have gathered by yourself and stating it as a fact is ridiculous, at least try to talk to a reseller and gather statistics before you say something like that.

Begode wheels in general had also had a pretty high failure rate as well, all the new models from Begode shares the same or very similar electronics and there has been reports of controller failures from all the models meaning the same Begode electronics is failing across different models.

One thing that definitely changed this and last year is that more people are riding more extreme and demanding more from the wheels possibly leading to higher failure rates in general as parts are being more stressed.

I'm not sure bout used mosfets but I've been informed by ewheels that due to supply chain issues the S22 at least has 2 different mosfets in circulation.
Perhaps this is the issue with the various vendors...

• Like 1