Sherman s new rider

CDINPHX

Where to start. 

actually waterproof the wheels and batteries. This is beyond ridiculous that they use silicone from a tube to do this  not acceptable  not to mention the brain of the euc is on a lot of them exposed or Vulnerable to dust/water intrusion  

Change the user interface in the screens so they made sense  i motion actually has the best here. 

upgrade all the hardware to proper grade bolts  so they stopped getting stripped out  also look at them for dissimilar metal corrosion  

pic A wheel size that you can actually get better tyres for.  Selection is limited  on a lot of wheels  

get ride of tubes and go Tubeless  

make a pass thru to get to the axles of the wheel so you can remove the hardware holding the wheel to the forks  drop the wheel down and have a connector in the cable so you can remove the wheel completely and fix it in the field if need be .

connect the suspension together with a metaL piece instead of plastic to gain rigidity in the case  

improve the tolerances so we stop getting wheel rubs on casing/etc  

Improve the mudflp design in a lot  of the wheels  maybe actually get some clearance there btw the wheel, perhaps something like a motorcycle mudflap.

improve the battery designs/BMs systems  they are getting better but still noT full proof.

build a proper pegged pedal  not sure why this is so hard for them to do  power pads  would also be a good idea.  both these everybody replaces  

use a proper headlight  haven’t ridden a v13  but I do like the light  

that should do and are all valid concerns/points people Have brought up and still exist in our wheels geck id settle for QC at the plant, don’t get me wrong, I love our wheels there is just a lot of room for Improvement. Which is why 4 years ago I stayed clear of them. With the Sherman s and v13 our, it made rethink the wheels and decide to get one.

honestly, I’d love for Eevees/alien rides to design and build a wheel in North America, I’d gladly pay the price tag!  

Edited by CDINPHX
  • Like 1

Tonight’s ride was extremely short 3-4kms. Went to the grocery store and back. Feels good to be able I zip over controlled grab what I need and come Back. I’ll be starting to commute here shortly I think. 

Sadly I did drop the wheel. Was cutting a corner on grass and there was a hidden dip. Leaned over cornering hit the dip as the grass was cut all to the same elev so it didn’t see it. Makes me think a tether might not be a bad idea though.  

todays outcome:

-i need to look at my PAA I feel like it’s tilted back for some reason. Like I’m sitting back on my heels.  Just feels weird almost like tilt back. rode fine though just felt odd  I also was getting wobbles at 30kph. Ill check that tomorrow. 

-carving is becoming second nature on the wheel, granted I am not on a slalom course but it’s good, feels natural  

-my stopping is going well, not emergency grade but I’m trusting the brake pads

-Mounting and dismounting still needs work but it’s getting there  I want to be able to shove once and hop onto the wheel and go.  I now cross traffic and wait at lights. I stead of using the cross walk

-ordered a sena headset so I can listen to some podcats or audiobooks. There are other choices I have always just used sena as it worked for me

-jacket comes this week as well. Can’t wait if it fits right more will come

-shoes I am still on the hunt for. Think I have it narrowed down though. Currently wearing old sneakers. But they shift on the pedals a bit. 

anyways! More to follow on this journey from Zero to hero 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CDINPHX said:

Shoes I am still on the hunt for. Think I have it narrowed down though. Currently wearing old sneakers. But they shift on the pedals a bit. 

I use both high top (winter) and low top (summer) Five Ten Freeriders for riding EUC's and I think they're excellent. I used them for many years during my mountain biking days and they worked well because they stuck to the pedals like glue. So naturally I started to use them for EUC'ing in and it's great knowing my foot won't shift during a hard turn.

https://www.adidas.ca/en/adidas-five-ten-freerider-mountain-bike-shoes/HP9939.html

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

I used them for many years during my mountain biking days and they worked well because they stuck to the pedals like glue.

Thanks for sharing. 

How durable are they? Did they last over several years? 

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Thanks for sharing. 

How durable are they? Did they last over several years? 

Yes, my original pair of low tops I've been using for MTB and EUC are still in good condition and I've been using those since 2019. You can usually find them highly discounted at the Adidas outlet in Richmond and Tsawwassen. I found them on sale for $60 so I just bought another pair to have until my current ones wear out.

Edited by Clem604
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, CDINPHX said:

Wait you can get high top five tens now? 

Yes, they aren't currently on the website but I bought the high top versions of these when they were on sale.

https://www.adidas.ca/en/five-ten-freerider-eps-mountain-bike-shoes/FY9299.html

These are great for winter as they are highly wind resistant and insulated for cold temps. The low tops I have are great for summer as they are mesh and very breathable 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CDINPHX said:

actually waterproof the wheels and batteries.

The v13 has IP65 batteries that are potted and the rest of the wheel is IP55

upgrade all the hardware to proper grade bolts

Inmotion changed their axle bolts because some idiot used an impact and broke some off but they were fine to begin with, nothing strips out on the wheel

A wheel size that you can actually get better tyres for.  Selection is limited  on a lot of wheels  

get ride of tubes and go Tubeless  

there are several tire option for the v13 both street and off road and making the tire tubeless is not the safest option for a one wheeled device but it's possible.

connect the suspension together with a metaL piece instead of plastic to gain rigidity in the case

the v13 has a metal suspension connected to a metal bridge

mprove the tolerances so we stop getting wheel rubs on casing/etc  

if the motor is shimmed properly, and they are now after batch 2, there is no rubbing on the v13

something like a motorcycle mudflap.

the v13 has 2 an inner and a large outter

improve the battery designs/BMs systems

the v13 has the most advanced BMS of any wheel with triangle communication along with individual cell monitoring.

use a proper headlight

the v13 has the most powerful headlight of any EUC

build a proper pegged pedal  not sure why this is so hard for them to do  power pads

Both have been done on the v13, the pedals are pegged and many people use the stock power pads and are fine with them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

The v13 has IP65 batteries that are potted and the rest of the wheel is IP55

Inmotion changed their axle bolts because some idiot used an impact and broke some off but they were fine to begin with, nothing strips out on the wheel

there are several tire option for the v13 both street and off road and making the tire tubeless is not the safest option for a one wheeled device but it's possible.

the v13 has a metal suspension connected to a metal bridge

if the motor is shimmed properly, and they are now after batch 2, there is no rubbing on the v13

the v13 has 2 an inner and a large outter

the v13 has the most advanced BMS of any wheel with triangle communication along with individual cell monitoring.

the v13 has the most powerful headlight of any EUC

Both have been done on the v13, the pedals are pegged and many people use the stock power pads and are fine with them.

the v13 is obviously above and beyond everyone else!  No disagreement.  

I still don’t think the manufactures are putting in the effort to Improve their designs enough. I’m an engineer, although civil and from where I stand after 20 years in the industry, I can tell you that engineering has become lazy in the last 10 years, mainly the last 5. It’s all about rushing a design out without thinking about the end user serviceability, etc.

Anyways this is a learning to ride A SHERMAN s thread!  Let’s get back to that instead of going back and forth about a v13 and design. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CDINPHX said:

honestly, I’d love for Eevees/alien rides to design and build a wheel in North America, I’d gladly pay the price tag!

Can we guess what that prize tag may be? What'd be the monetary investment for a manufacturing plant, labor cost, land....etc.? I'd like to buy USA too, but it's not going to happen or I dare say that it might never happen!

• Upvote 1

Well they closed the archery range for the week, so what is a archer suppose to do!!  Suppose I am going to have to jump on the wheel and go for a rip, provided the rain stays away.  See if I can knock out another 20-30kms tonight.  

@Clem604, I never even thought of my 510's for use on the EUC,  My old ones are likely destroyed from MTB'ing, but will see if I can find them, if not I will pick up another pair.  thank you for the suggestion, I completely forgot about those and now that i know they are available in high top, I think they will be the shoes to go with for me!

13 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

This is a pretty useful discussion for idea's and info that may help..

Yeah, saw that thread before, some good advice. I am all for wearing gear all the time, my concern is that if it is a pain to use off the wheel it will never be work. Case in point MC boots, they suck for anything but riding and most of them are way to narrow for us with size 13 appendages to use. There is also studies done on using high top boots for work, MC etc and how it impacts mobility in the ankle, leading to other issues, I'll see if I can find the ones we had from work.  I have stopped wearing high top boot (8") at work due to this and I can say 100% that my ankles and feet feel a lot better then they did before wearing 8" boots. Granted I am usually in boots for 8-12 hors days. And these are boots that provide a lot of support, not your typical leather boot.  

My thoughts are one needs to figure out what is right for them and the situation. 

• Off-roading: Full gear
  • Spirited Ride around town: Knee pads, jacket and helmet, likely wrist guards
  • Short ride to work/errands, Jacket, helmet and gloves. 
  • Practice, as much gear as I can wear.  It in my experience with learning activities is usually when someone gets hurt as they are pushing beyond their boundaries in a relatively safe area and they get complacent and think they cannot get hurt/ are safe  
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, CDINPHX said:

@Clem604, I never even thought of my 510's for use on the EUC,  My old ones are likely destroyed from MTB'ing, but will see if I can find them, if not I will pick up another pair.  thank you for the suggestion, I completely forgot about those and now that i know they are available in high top, I think they will be the shoes to go with for me!

Yeah I've been using them pretty much since I started riding EUC's and they are my go to's. There are also shoes from Ride Concepts that are similar to Five Ten that you could check out. They have a similar "sticky" bottom that sticks to pedal pins as well.  They seem to be the biggest competitor to Five 10 for mountain bikers.

https://kinetikcycles.com/products/rc-shoes-livewire?currency=CAD&variant=43263203508450&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=19637232378&utm_medium=ad&utm_content=&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4NujBhC5ARIsAF4Iv6fEheSfiEGem4n7yjpCriTSatNWCB7XakRl8k2MnelvaXVpafqLIWUaAswPEALw_wcB

Edited by Clem604
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CDINPHX said:

I have stopped wearing high top boot (8") at work due to this and I can say 100% that my ankles and feet feel a lot better then they did before wearing 8" boots.

I've come to a similar conclusion too. The ride feels a lot nicer wearing something that covers the ankle but not much higher. Its nice to have foot/ ankle mobility. I appreciate this isn't the best solution but one I'm happy to live with atm. I won't wear shoes though as they do fall off and provide very little protection/support for me. But everyones riding style and risk assessment is different and I don't mind what anyone else does as long as they are happy and know the potential advantages, risks and pitfalls.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

I've come to a similar conclusion too. The ride feels a lot nicer wearing something that covers the ankle but not much higher. Its nice to have foot/ ankle mobility. I appreciate this isn't the best solution but one I'm happy to live with atm. I won't wear shoes though as they do fall off and provide very little protection/support for me. But everyones riding style and risk assessment is different and I don't mind what anyone else does as long as they are happy and know the potential advantages, risks and pitfalls.

I love my big tall MC boots, which make me feel very secure and supported, not to mention provide somewhere to tuck in the excess of my comically oversize riding pantaloons, but there is no doubt these properly ruin my ability to transition from Standing to seated and vice versa. I just cannot get those boots out from Grizzla flow pads and into the position needed for sitting, and am beginning to suspect I probably could do with boots that stopped just above the ankles. Will be trying that soon, even though it will diminish my storm trooper theming :)

• Like 2

It’s all about risk tolerance. Some accept more then others. Is it right or wrong nope. That’s what makes us people and unique, we can all have different opinions/values/etc, and still get along with each other and go for rides. 

• Like 1

What an amazing ride tonight! 25 kms, my headset arrived as well so I had to toss that on. Listening to a little bit of music just gets you into the grove.

Everything just clicked tonight, carving was on point well as much as it can be for my skill level, actually sweeping back and forth where I could like i was back skiing, although I sucked at skiing, shocking given my Nordic roots. But it looks way better then a lot I’ve seen attempting to carve I have seen on YouTube. 

my lower body was pretty loose as well, I wasn’t getting the wobbles as bad at 35-40kph, It’s likely me But I still find the tyre squirrelly. And harder to turn right m like it fights me to get over on that edge.  Again that’s likely me but i swore of tyres with knobbies like this on mtb and motorcycles. I’ll Ride it for 500-750kms and make a decision if I am going to swap to the Shinko. Or just wear the tyre out. 

had a near miss on the sidewalk and somE gravel. The old school Sidewalk that are barely big enough for one person. Was coming down a driveway entrance in a turn and had to go wide due to the amount of marbles and as I swerved out I caught the edge of some gravel and almost rolled out into the road. Thankfully I was going slow enough, I just planted the left foot down and spun in a circle back into  the sidewalk. No cars were around just the wheel reminding me to show it respect.

also had some guy tell me to buy a real bike  and try berating me until I caught up to his truck,  rode up To his window and he realized I was probably twice his size when I asked him if there was an issue.   Actually he turned out to be a decent fella just a kid being a dink in an oil and gas town driving around in daddies 120k f350 dually with a 8” lift.  Wonder what he would have thought,  if I showed him my tacoma that’s all done up for 4x4’ing  

things achieved tonight!

-mounted the comms system to the helmet. oh my I have missed riding listening to music, audio books, etc. Still have a head on a swivel just gets me into that groove. Really makes me want a motorcycle again. 

-rode 25kms total distance is now 145kms. 

-carving is coming along, actually it’s really good I think  

-breaking is going extremely well, my mount/dismount tonight was great. Although a couple times I put my left foot to far forward on the pedal which is fun to adjust while riding. Managed to offload my left foot put everything on the right lift my foot for a second and reseat it. That was dodgy. Especially in these shoes  

-did a couple of curb drops tonight as well said screw it and went for it. surprisingly easy. Next up finding a set of stairs in a place called grande prairie might be difficult. 

-adjusted the PAA to -1. Huge difference I didn’t feel like I was falling backwards, might try -2. 

-was able to squat down while riding the wheel. I’m 90% sure I won’t like seated riding. If I am going to sit I’ll get another bike. Actually i rarely sat on my bmw 1200gs anywhere

what is everyone running for settings on the sherman s. I’d like some input on what others are using.

145kms

in and loving the wheel!!!!  Now to ride to work with this. Rush hour traffic should be entertaining. Might have to take the secondary roads. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Decent ride tonight only did 20kms my legs were shaking. Made the mistake of doing a 5km dog walk with 50lbs in the plate carrier. Dropped the dog off got ready and jumped on the wheel. Oh boy the quads were on fire. Was not smooth to get up on the wheel at all. 

stopped took a break for 15-20mins, the view from the river valley  70736775666__7AAFD794-8D13-4E31-AD4B-AEF7248ECF0B.thumb.jpeg.8e3b72b868c6d4eb3a7042b6b6c0e719.jpeg

After the  break, jumped back up in the wheel and started heading up the hill. Got to the flats, turned left and started riding in the trails again. Holy crap, the entire trail was covered in marble size gravel. Dodgy as hell as I was taking the corner had to dismount as i was not confident in being able to keep going on that. Walked the twisty section for 50ms until it cleared up and got back on the wheel. 

took the city streets back home, tell ya what, I do not like starting from a stop light with some a$$ blaring the horn at me to go because he wants to go at Mach 7 off the line in his beat up Volkswagen rabbit. I’d be surprised if uP here he didn’t have 15k in the motor. He literally peeled rubber and was still  spinning the tyres rowing threw the gears. It was rather impressive!  

anyways tonight’s ride:

-20kms In length. Loved it but my legs were tired from the 5km 50lb plate carrier dog walk. Ugh. Bad idea. 

-I still need to find better shoes my feet are getting tired. Going to go to the local bike shop and see if they have any 5 10’s here. 

-the knee pads gotta go, they are the worst pads I have ever worn. Understand why they are popular in the euc community because they are cheap, but they do the job.  

-my beyond riders flannel jacket came in fits perfect  ill be buying their summer mesh one as well  hindsight I should have started with that. they are IMO a much better option then lazyrolling 

Was planning to Ride to work tomorrow, but my feet are not ready for it yet. And I need more work on the starts a before hoping into rush hour traffic. That will happen soon though, I suspect. Planning to go on the weekend to a basketball court and worK on one push starts, and non dominant foot placement. I managed to put it to far forward a few times and had a hard time starting I was wobbling all over. 

Bonus dingo pic after the ride. She gets her fetch time!  70736947005__8FC6E781-CBF6-4FBB-80E7-D09E04BA4906.thumb.jpeg.96f0ea7ccedad4ab6327fa72727629f5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Leatt dual axis. Size xxl. Tried xl the knee cup was to small Complete junk, well I can say junk they work just not for me  

-for one the fit Is horrendous and yes, I’ve tried multiple strap configurations, even tried the attachment hole.

-strap lengths seem to vary, my calf strap or bottom one seems like it’s fitted for a 4xl set , mid strap is perfect the upper is as if it is made for a small.  

-the lower portion of the shin guards dig into your legs. and cause pressure points  

- I’ll be on the hunt for something  different and likely give these away to someone locally  

-

Edited by CDINPHX
  • Like 1