Sherman s new rider

CDINPHX

It rained lastnight and this morning so I didn’t go so instead I went to the archery range and played on the 3D courses(foam animals). Not bad for shooting on at an elk target from 68 and 72yds different shot locations. (see attached)

my legs, butt and midsection are cooked. There will be no euc riding today, I’m to sore, let me be clear this is soreness from having fun and going a little farther/longer then I intended  

That being said I strapped on the bag this afternoon and knocked out 10kms with an 80lb pack.  Yes, I’m aware that wasn’t the brightest move, the doggo needed her hike.  Side note work is going to suck tomorrow!  

70917877800__9B177C84-818D-4CD5-8A65-8CFC1D6DC229.jpeg

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CDINPHX said:

elk target from 68 and 72yds different shot locations. (see attached)

Good shooting, and very glad the animals weren't real ! I still have an old Hoyt recurve somewhere I should get out again at some point... has been years since I did any archery ! :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

The real ones taste the best, foam gets stuck in your teeth.  That being said, I got into archery to hunt, now I do archery for fun, I still like to hunt as I prefer my meat to be sourced by me, versus the grocery store. Even beef, I live in one of the best spots on the planet for beef and we still prefer to butcher and harvest a cow versus store bought. I know hunting seems to be very controversial, but when I am successful, nothing goes to waste, all the meat is harvested and it feeds my friends and family for months, with high protein, nutrient packed and darn tasty meat.  the dog even benefits from it, although it is a wee bit to rich for her.  

As for EUC riding, I'm knackered from the weekend, scarfed down some Pizza and a beer, now lying in bed with the dog, who feels the same as I do.  Although, I suspect she just feels pity for me and being tired, so she is taking advantage of cuddles. Hope everyone had a great weekend riding and had fun with no injuries

bonus pic of the war pig in her tactical squirrel murdering vest

70870935501__F8648ED1-E0E4-4722-9631-3E64F5876A96.jpeg

• Like 2

Tonight I did a simple ride as I’m sore from my weekend of hiking and crazy riding. pretty much just focused on curb hops and drops, the ones in my parking lot are about 6-8”. Some shorter some taller depending on the lay of the parking lot. I’m actually jumping the wheel onto the curb  more then an actual curb bump and hop. Tried riding backwards but I can basically just get started and I start to wobble and fall over. Not sure how I was doing it in the weekend probably just dumb luck.  

My backyard was surprisingly very odd terrain and I fell over a few times as I couldn’t get my foot off the pegs to dismount. Yeah I forgot I adjusted the toe pads for jumping. And the motions more out and up to disengage, instead of lift up then slide out. Took me a few moments to be like wtf is going on here as I was locked in  

Anyways m, I rode around the neighbourhood just tinkering around, it’s too hot and humid to be out doing anything crazy in the trails and really working hard.  The type of heat after rain showers with no wind. Air just sitting still and sticky blah. I had already been out and  went for a weighted 5km walk with the doggo and she was on the floor tuckered.  So this was just me basically playing around keeping an eye on her while she cooled down on the cold wet grass  

In other news, the job posting is down on my companies site for the position I applied for. Oooooooooooo, this is exciting.  Could be a new job shortly. 

• Like 1

Apologies I forgot the free dog pic, an older One of her being the office doggo. This was pre the office banning dogs. Such a shame as it was a great stress relief to have a cpl dingos around  someone was upset my little girl was first in line to give cuddles, secretly it was just to get the pets she preyed on peoples weaknesses  

69834290775__D6FC6B39-2A0A-49AB-839F-CAC092EC6ECB.jpeg

Edited by CDINPHX
  • Like 1

Logged another 25kms tonight. Had to ride in just a t shirt it was to stinking hot out.  Long day at work and just wanted to get out veg to some music and cruise for a bit.   Felt good, although I need more trails to ride around here.  I’m starting to string trails together as well to make a huge loop. 

I’m going to need to find myself a set of chest armor or something if it stays this hot out. Or at least a set of elbow pads.   Was drenched I sweat when I got back. 

Nah, I have tons of gear, it is way to hot to wear it all, and I’m not all the gear all the time kind of person. It’s task specific for me. .But I agree some elbow pads would be great.  I’m only debating the chest armor/setup because I’m doing a lot of trail rides and it’s to hit for any jackets I have and we don’t do the same speeds as motorcycles.  

normally I’m fully armoured up(shin/knee pads, full Jacket with back protector all level 2 armor and helmet) and wrist protectors and gloves, but the tempS here lately have drastically increased and it’s hot and humid. I evaluate the risk and make decisions based of the risk/reward. To wear all that tonight I’d be 20 lbs lighter by the time i got home. 

When I say t shirt I was still armoured up just no elbow gear. Was all 

Edited by CDINPHX
  • Like 1

Well I took the training wheels off today. Got her up to 65kph, that’s probably as fast as I want to go, anything above 45 and the ability to avoid requires a lot more exaggeration with the movements. It actually takes a considerable amount of force to try and carve.  I’m now logging about 40-50kph per ride. 

speaking of carving, I can now put the Sherman s out to my right at a steep angle and bring g it back to the left and keep doing this like I’m skiing.  I don’t find it really does anything just keeps me from being bored in a straight line I suppose.  

purchased the leatt chest protector 6.5 and the elbow pads. As I’m starting to push harder on the wheel and as @Hellkitten mentioned it’s likely only a matter of time until I take a tumble in the wheel. And it’s too hot for the jackets I bought if I’m off roading which seems to be where I like to spend my time. I have a bmw r nine t i’ve been eyeing up as    well, so the jackets will get used. And they will when I’m just ripping on the roads

oh riding in the wind is getting a lot better, but getting 45-50kph sustained winds is not enjoyable let me tell ya.  no idea what the gusts are at but they are not fun either  I had to tuck and lean  hard into it  carving does jack shit for the wind, I’ll argue that until I’m blue in the face  it does allow you to get use to rapid adjustments though  

• Like 1

Hey mate, wanted to ask what suspension settings (compression, preload, rebound) that you settled on? We're both ~240lbs and I've been riding the factory settings up until now — finally swapped out my leaking left shock so I'm looking to adjust them now. Thanks!

I'll half to look at the wheel tomorrow and get back to you.  think I adjusted the preload to about half, the compression I tend to like stiffer, and the rebound I took a lot of the dampening off of.  I am alway changing those though, depending on what I am riding.  

• Thanks 1

Haven’t rode all week here. I’ve been swamped with work. Although I’m getting back up early again and going for dog walks. So the sleeps improved. Still waiting to here back on the job. Typical of my company is after the job closes they wait 3-4weeks so who knows. 

Waiting on my armor to arrive, it’s somewhere the tracking number isn’t working. Should’ve been here by now. Anyways. The hope is to get out and ride 100plus kms this weekend. Hike 30’ish and hopefully toss in archery as well. 

• Like 1

First rip In the wheel in six days, knocked out 35kms. Did probably 20 of that off-road(mix of single and double track/quad trails). Not sure what’s up but I shaved an entire 35 mins off that run.   My riding off road has substantially improved since last week I had to get off In two Spots(steep section of sugar sand) I almost made it then the wheel started spinning, was to soft/loose, another that is way to steep/roots to climb (likely 35-40 degrees  for 10m) I did have one pedal Strike that spun me Sideways but I managed to stay on the wheel and just rode if off the trial and back on.

Tomorrow my plan is to ride 40-50kms of trails. Likley 20 of it on actual mtb trails. Depends on the conditions it’s getting dry out again and that means sugar sand in spots.

Oh also found where my armor is and realized I didn’t order the elbow pads with it like i though. Grr. I’ll pop by the shop Tomorrow.  

that tyre I notice has developed a wobble as well. Not bad, but noticeable. Like it has gone out of balance. Anyone ever have that?  It free spins nicely, and it’s not a speed wobble, just a shimmy. It goes away at speed. Almost reminds me of when on my mtb tyres the sidewall started to fail.  There is nothing wrong with the tyre I can find. I’ll checK it tomorrow, maybe my sealant  has hardened to the sidewall. 

• Like 1

Swapped over to the Shinko this morning. Tire fits fairly well, but tight in the back left side. It’ll be some  tinkering to get it to sign properly again. 

unfortunately all the tightening and loosening of the bolts caused the threads to let go on the mother board hanger and the actual threads came out with the bolt. Talked with B eevee’s about how to best fix this. The suggested tapping it for the  next size up,  instead of a helicoil. Which I find odd, but I’ll have to ask the machinists have as to why. It’s not what we do to repair items at work. 

The Shinko 244 tyreis amazing compared to  the stock Kenda! better traction, noise level,  handling  the only draw back it’s also the handling it’s very responsive even off-road to sight leans. I put a bit more into the lean then I should have. She went right over on a sharp turn slide in the sand. Caught traction and high sided me into the bushes.   I’m going to need to adjust to the tyre.  

currently taking a break on a walking trail  40’idh kms in  20 to go  

• Like 1

Just knocked out 65kms I’m begged drenched with sweat it’s so hot today. 

that Shinko 244 tyre is way better then the Stock. So nimble, I can flick the uni around, like nothing. Although you need to be careful, it doesn’t require the same effort you put into the stock tyre to turn. it’s can be dangerous at first until you adjust.  I managed to power slide it as  I said in the previous post  and high side myself as I put the same amount of effort to lean I’d have to with the stock and I was almost dragging the pedal. Actually had to check my shorts after that power slide/crash. 

Now I could always lay the wheel down and drag the side of the pedals on a very tight turn on asphalt. but it took considerable effort to keep Myself upright. I can only imagine with an actually street tyre oh my it would be a dream.  The Shinko was very easy to do

trails I did 65kms were a mix of road, single track, double track, some  kind of crazy hiking/walking trail thru the city that was heavily rooted I found by accident, and street.  Top speed I reached was 65kph, the tyre  is silent compared to stock. You do need to be careful coming out of turns to not step on the gas as it can induce a speed wobble, something I never had the issue with the stock tyre, presume it’s because I’m not use to the tyre yet and it provides a lot more traction. 

minus the stripped threads on the motherboard, the tyre change was simple, hardest part was breaking the bead  I just used some clamps I had and torqued the tyre with them. Putting the new one on I used bead lube, and three spoons to make life easier.  Literally was an hr, and half that was readjusting the tyre. I could do it faster now that I know what needs to be done.

public service announcement,  don’t use  power tools to break free/tighten the bolts. Just use them after you break the bolt free or to get it to where you tighten. Everyone shows power tools, it’s a bad idea. I did it by hand and  I still had the threads rip out. Pretty sure this was from galling as it’s a steel bolt into chinesium, they were gone the first time removed the bolt to swap the tyre, sucks but oh well.  

hoping to log another 60-70kms tomorrow.  But riding hard like i was today drains the battery fast.  I’m at 40% after the ride , I was doing avg speed of 25km’s and that was a lot of trail riding. I was flying or it felt like I was. I really like that tire so the confidence was high. 

Edited by CDINPHX
Typos
  • Like 1

so talked to my machinist at work.  He said do not tap it for a larger thread!  The same issue will come back. Said this is exactly what helicoil as are for to beef up the threads in softer materials.  So yeah, don’t do what the eevees service tech suggests is the morale of the story. 

Edit:

should also add in here that going to a larger thread normally works in quality steel as you have more surface area for the threads. Key word here is quality steel. Both will likely work I mainly don’t want different size bolts 

Edited by CDINPHX
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, CDINPHX said:

so talked to my machinist at work.  He said do not tap it for a larger thread!  The same issue will come back. Said this is exactly what helicoil as are for to beef up the threads in softer materials.  So yeah, don’t do what the eevees service tech suggests is the morale of the story. 

Makes sense. I stripped one of the holes on my adjustable pedals the first time I HAND tightened the screw. It wasn’t even very hard. I do wish these things were made out of better quality materials……

4 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

Makes sense. I stripped one of the holes on my adjustable pedals the first time I HAND tightened the screw. It wasn’t even very hard. I do wish these things were made out of better quality materials……

That’s what I thought, but I’m a civil engineer, and then the explanation I received, didn’t make much sense. Hence why I talked to our machinists at work. 

How’s your riding coming along?

1 hour ago, CDINPHX said:

How’s your riding coming along?

Good. I ride at least once a day. We’ve had heatwaves and intermittent rain, it been a bit all over the place so I’m getting the rides in when I can. Mostly evenings and nights when it’s cooler, plus I prefer riding on quieter roads if I can. Mostly street rides some small bits of dirt trails here and there, but I live in Toronto, so it’s mostly urban cruising for me. Loving the SS trying to resist the pull of the patton……..😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

Good. I ride at least once a day. We’ve had heatwaves and intermittent rain, it been a bit all over the place so I’m getting the rides in when I can. Mostly evenings and nights when it’s cooler, plus I prefer riding on quieter roads if I can. Mostly street rides some small bits of dirt trails here and there, but I live in Toronto, so it’s mostly urban cruising for me. Loving the SS trying to resist the pull of the patton……..😬

There is some some Good trails in Toronto. I use to visit my brother a lot there and go mtb’ing. And we’d go north an hr or so to I think heartwood?  There was huge mtb’ing trails there.  

I also like the Patton, but I’m more interested to see where inmotion goes with their adv line 

• Like 1

Oh I know. A bunch of the local riders here go off roading almost every Saturday at a bunch of different trails. In fact there was an off road session this morning on a trail that one of our celebrity riders built recently. He’s making banks and ramps too. If you make it out this way let me know……..

Edited by Hellkitten

If, I make it out I for sure will. I’m trying to track down the two others guys out here riding I have seen. Of course it’s like watching the toaster, but I aM seeing a pile of electric scooters here now, like crazy number, just the ones you see at Best Buy/Canadian tire.  

on a side note, I am already debating another wheel. And after watching the veteran pattons review and me preferring off-roading more, hmmmm. I’m thinking about it. But not 100% certain. I’ll likely hold off as I want to see what nexts years crop of wheels will Produce. Plus I really like the Sherman it is like the bmw 1200 gsa I use to own. It just chugs thru it all, well except for sugar sand. Ugh. 

my thoughts are is I’d like a smaller more flickable wheel and I need something else for people to learn on I’ve been approached by so many people here it is not funny.  

• Like 1

Went to the archery range this morning while the wheel is charging.  forgot to actually flip the switch and just plugged it all in. Anyways pulled off this nice group at 70yds. Aiming at the red mark dot. the pink fletching is what my sights dialed for. the other that hit high I think is slightly lighter or a bit less helical. 

my right hip and shoulder where I got tossed into to bushes from yesterdays high side are a bit tender. I’m glad I learned a long time ago to never use your arms to break your falls, the armor needs to come sooner rather then later, so I’m not sweating to death in the mesh moto jacket.  Tracking says a few days. I must have picked the pony express for delivery. 

IMG_1926.jpeg

• Like 1