Upgrading The EX30 Shock To A Coil

Some people may not consider a coil shock an upgrade, which is fine. But if you want a more plush ride it's certainly an upgrade. If you prefer a firmer ride then stick with the stock shock or upgrade to a higher quality air shock.

In either case, as this vide demonstrates, the EX30 provides the simplest mechanism for swapping out shocks then any other wheel made.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I have asked a question of Marty on the YT vid of this but I'm not sure how often he checks comments. I have picked up a mint EX30, the only issue being that theres way more oil and goop around the shock that I am comfortable with so my first plan is to swop it out asap.

I have found a DNM coil (DV22AR) which I fancy trying but I am slightly mindful of the spring rating which is 750lb. Marty used a 1000lb and described it as 'firm'. I am around 200lbs fully geared but I do not do drops, jumps or anything like that. I rarely even go off-road except gravel trails. I just want a super plush ride that takes most road bumps out.

Can anyone give any advice on spring rating? I'm erring towards trying the 750lb but don't want half the travel to blow out as soon as I step on the thing. I guess the option is to try it and then get hold of a 1000lb spring if it's not enough but any heads up would be really appreciated.

I can't find a huge amount of people doing shock swops on the EX yet, obviously loads for the Master but the linkages are totally different so spring rates alter too. 

On 8/23/2023 at 1:39 AM, Planemo said:

I have asked a question of Marty on the YT vid of this but I'm not sure how often he checks comments. I have picked up a mint EX30, the only issue being that theres way more oil and goop around the shock that I am comfortable with so my first plan is to swop it out asap.

I have found a DNM coil (DV22AR) which I fancy trying but I am slightly mindful of the spring rating which is 750lb. Marty used a 1000lb and described it as 'firm'. I am around 200lbs fully geared but I do not do drops, jumps or anything like that. I rarely even go off-road except gravel trails. I just want a super plush ride that takes most road bumps out.

Can anyone give any advice on spring rating? I'm erring towards trying the 750lb but don't want half the travel to blow out as soon as I step on the thing. I guess the option is to try it and then get hold of a 1000lb spring if it's not enough but any heads up would be really appreciated.

I can't find a huge amount of people doing shock swops on the EX yet, obviously loads for the Master but the linkages are totally different so spring rates alter too. 

I had an EX30 and tried the JFOYH coil shock with 1000lb coil, the one marty recommends. I thought it was too soft. It would easily bottom out when going off a curb and I also think I remember getting it to bottom out when bonking a curb. I weight around 195-200lbs with gear. I ended up going back to an air shock. Don't get me wrong, it's super cushy but for the riding I do, it was too soft. I ride in urban areas, and have to bonk curbs, go down stairs, hop off curbs, and I ride aggressively (full superman lean and full lean backwards for braking) If you ride like Marty, than it would probably be a great fit. 

Whatever shock you get, just make sure that it's a 200mm length and not the 190mm. The stock begode shock is closer to 200mm than 190mm. With a 190mm shock you lose closer 10mm of travel and the wheel sits 10mm lower to the ground. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, trailless said:

I had an EX30 and tried the JFOYH coil shock with 1000lb coil, the one marty recommends. I thought it was too soft. It would easily bottom out when going off a curb and I also think I remember getting it to bottom out when bonking a curb. I weight around 195-200lbs with gear. I ended up going back to an air shock. Don't get me wrong, it's super cushy but for the riding I do, it was too soft. I ride in urban areas, and have to bonk curbs, go down stairs, hop off curbs, and I ride aggressively (full superman lean and full lean backwards for braking) If you ride like Marty, than it would probably be a great fit. 

Whatever shock you get, just make sure that it's a 200mm length and not the 190mm. The stock begode shock is closer to 200mm than 190mm. With a 190mm shock you lose closer 10mm of travel and the wheel sits 10mm lower to the ground. 

Aaarghhh! Your post is super informative but I have just ordered the 190mm 750lb one! I'll see if I can swop it for the 200mm. Re the poundage, I can always get a 1000lb spring for not much money so I'll see how it goes. Thanks for your advice though, thats great data metric. I would say I ride more like Marty than yourself so I may just get away with the 1000lb but as the shock was only available with the 750lb (I went with DNM) I'll give it a go anyway. Cheers :thumbup:

Edit: whats weird about these EUC fitments is that it's quite common for an MTB on a 2" shock stroke/160mm travel to run around 220psi in the air can (same as I do on the EX) and the same bike/rider going for a coil swop would run around 650lb. On EUC's we talk of 1000lb being 'soft' and even hear of people trying 1500lb springs! I appreciate the leverage ratios are a bit different but this sounds a bit excessive. If we were having to run 350+ psi in our EUC air cans it would make sense but as I say I have tried 220lb in mine and it's about right. I'll dig deeper.

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Edit: whats weird about these EUC fitments is that it's quite common for an MTB on a 2" shock stroke/160mm travel to run around 220psi in the air can (same as I do on the EX) and the same bike/rider going for a coil swop would run around 650lb. On EUC's we talk of 1000lb being 'soft' and even hear of people trying 1500lb springs! I appreciate the leverage ratios are a bit different but this sounds a bit excessive. If we were having to run 350+ psi in our EUC air cans it would make sense but as I say I have tried 220lb in mine and it's about right. I'll dig deeper.

it's all related to the amount of stroke used on the shock

Edited by EMA

On 8/23/2023 at 7:39 AM, Planemo said:

for your weight you need 850 or 1000  ( but you can preload it a lot on stock link )

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EMA said:

it's all related to the amount of stroke used on the shock

Yeah cheers I get linkages, ratios and strokes. Do you know how much stroke is actually used on the EX? I'm only guessing at somewhere around 50mm at the moment. I know the Master linkage setup was quite a bit different which is why I am trying to not cloud my brain with Master related shock talk.

6 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Yeah cheers I get linkages, ratios and strokes. Do you know how much stroke is actually used on the EX? I'm only guessing at somewhere around 50mm at the moment. I know the Master linkage setup was quite a bit different which is why I am trying to not cloud my brain with Master related shock talk.

around 30-35mm used on Ex30

Edited by EMA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EMA said:

around 30-35mm used on Ex30

Ah fair enough, cheers. That'll go some way to explaining the high poundages required. I'll have a look at your vid later :thumbup:

Edit: Great vid! The linkages look really nice. The Master has a very different shock position to the EX, I presume the EX linkages would therefore be very different? Do you supply specific EX ones?

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Planemo said:

Ah fair enough, cheers. That'll go some way to explaining the high poundages required. I'll have a look at your vid later :thumbup:

Edit: Great vid! The linkages look really nice. The Master has a very different shock position to the EX, I presume the EX linkages would therefore be very different? Do you supply specific EX ones?

yes, each wheel has it's own dimentions

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EMA said:

yes, each wheel has it's own dimentions

When designing your linkages, had you thought about maybe using a larger bore on the pivot holes to allow ballraces to be fitted? Granted, it would then need some thin bosses to clamp only the centre of the races (as per MTB designs) but it would make for a hugely smooth action and with a decent shock be almost as good as the best MTB (euc losing out only due to friction on the main sliders). 

On 8/25/2023 at 1:12 PM, Planemo said:

When designing your linkages, had you thought about maybe using a larger bore on the pivot holes to allow ballraces to be fitted? Granted, it would then need some thin bosses to clamp only the centre of the races (as per MTB designs) but it would make for a hugely smooth action and with a decent shock be almost as good as the best MTB (euc losing out only due to friction on the main sliders). 

i tought about it, is not applicable on all joints due to tight spaces, need to find all the hardware also...

Generally speaking i tried to take the costs really low but worth a check