Indefinitely prevented from riding

Roadpower

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

They thought it was a crazy video as I recall

Good point, not the idea itself. 

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

I do hope the response Begode got didn't discourage them from keeping on trying !

I think in the short term it will have but the pressure to try again will happen as we keep getting forced out.

49 minutes ago, chanman said:

They want the same range and power output from the same size pack, which wasn't going to happen, and putting it on the RS, a model typically used for high performance activities, was doomed to failure to meet expectations. 

Yes it wasn't the best wheel to test the idea on.

53 minutes ago, chanman said:

A somewhat widespread policy of "only LFP packs on PEVs in this building", as unenforceable as it may seem now, might actually be what is needed to shift the market in order to get people to accept the worse performance, especially for commuter wheels.

Yes , I would much rather have a wheel I can take on public transport, store without any hassles and have the peace of mind knowing my house is less likely to burn down. Worth the trade off with power/ range. It would only be for a few years too.

Some advantages over and above the safety is the increased life span (charge cycles) and durability so although we might need to charge more often the batteries will last as long or longer then our current ones. Plus they are cheaper too. 

3 hours ago, chanman said:

A somewhat widespread policy of "only LFP packs on PEVs in this building", as unenforceable as it may seem now, might actually be what is needed to shift the market in order to get people to accept the worse performance, especially for commuter wheels.

This could be done at the appartment building level, or city hall can make this a city-wide bylaw, I suppose. Then it will drive up the demand.

But then that means the decision has been made to regulate and not ban.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:44 AM, Chriull said:

A continuous trickle charge would cause plating of metallic lithium and compromise safety. To minimize stress, keep the lithium-ion battery at the peak cut-off as short as possible." 

Frankly I have no idea how that is supposed to work. A 20 cell battery has a voltage of 84V when fully charged. A fully functional charger for that pack delivers exactly that voltage or slightly below. When it has finished charging and the batteries are full that means the pack has exactly the same voltage as the charger so that should mean is physically impossible for current to keep flowing. There is no "trickle charging" or whatever they mean by that. No voltage differential means no charging can and will take place, trickle or otherwise.

Maybe they are confusing it with the low-self-discharge, superlattice nickel-metal hydride batteries like the Sanyo eneloops? Those do indeed react poorly to constant trickle charging, which is the reason why using them in cordless phones in one's home kills them off pretty quickly. 

I think there's voltage sag when charging. So even if the control board reads 84v that's above the real voltage = some trickle is going on. (If you disconnect charging and the voltage settles to 83.5v then you've got 0.5v causing a trickle)

But on the other hand the bms cuts off charging over x voltage. So maybe this anti-trickle feature isn't in the power adapter but in the bms, or both. 

The question is, does the bms keep charging off or renables it after the voltage has settled under the voltage limit? I'd guess it's reenabled.

I don't believe that addressing technical nuances is going to help us. I'm NOT saying that there shouldn't be talk about those aspects. I think we are damned by the following fundamental issues.

The e-bikes being used commercially obviously undergo a great many more charging cycles and physical abuse in the form of all the miles they're putting on and the commensurate physical shocks that the equipment is subject to. I have to assume that the charging conditions aren't anywhere near as measured as we would like. These aspects are out of our control and have now been taken head-on by landlords, and I'm sad to say that it is very likely that landlords are doing what they can to get legislators to take it to the next step.

The most significant issue is the battery tech itself. I think most of know that there are numerous entities working on solutions in which the battery tech is fundamentally not a lurking fire hazard. This is where we are in limbo, we are at the mercy of fate and time. I believe that in time that tech will come but for some of us (namely older riders) it won't matter.

I don't believe that trying to appeal with use case arguments or who is better suited to care for their PEV is going to help us either. Hammers are a very blunt instrument, they are not a scalpel. We're getting hit with a hammer by people who care not about limiting damage with a scalpel.

Edited by Roadpower
  • Upvote 2

On 4/13/2023 at 5:06 PM, Cerbera said:

Christ, I hope not - 1% fire rate could only be considered a catastrophic failure ! Even 0.1% would be unacceptable risk. 0.01% is still too many !! I would hope the rate is lower than ALL those figures !! 

I agree. 1% would be crazy bad, but from all the talk on here I don't know what the actual numbers are.

In manufacturing I know you have a thing call DPMO (Defects Per Million Opportunities). Ideally you want that to be zero, or as low as possible. In reality (having worked in electronics manufacturing for a while) I have seen that rate frequently somewhere between 1000 and 10000....and other things happen that raises that number even higher. Sad but true. As a test engineer, fires I used to put out were in the 3% failure range.

• Like 1

Today I stumbled on the genre of YT videos about refrigerators suddenly exploding.  This changes everything!

You might ask your local legislative representatives about strengthening the building code.  Builders should equip residences with better firewalls.  If your neighbors are bothered when your PEV bursts into flame, how is that your fault?  It is their own fault for overpaying for a residence of outdated construction.

In the meantime, removable batteries would clear an obstacle to Lyft / Lime / Spin dockless unicycles so more people could use them without needing to keep them indoors.