V13 speed wibble

ixpacman

Just trying to figure out if anyone else has experienced an uncontrollable speed wobble followed by a cutout which could be due to the angle during the wobble. This seemed to occur at approximately 20-25 mph. The wheel has less than 3 miles on it. I pressured up the suspension to 180 psi and checked tire pressure. My mistake could have had something to do with turning acceleration and braking assistant to 0 but I didn’t like the feel of the varying pedal tilt with those settings turned up. My base angle was at -2 degrees. It happened once and I managed to bring the wheel to a stop. When I attempted to return to became uncontrollable and cutout. Thank god for wearing gear but it still really sucked. Beat up the machine a bit but the bars saved the machine from any bad damage. I have over 2000 miles on my V12 and I don’t think I would be considered inexperienced but this was my first bad pavement crash. Plenty of off-road failures but they are a little fuzzier. Anyone with any suggestions or similar experience would be appreciated. 

Where the motor bolts replaced with the correct ones prior to your receiving the wheel?  Who is your reseller?

Do you think your unfamiliarity with the bigger and heavier wheel could have lead to the wobbles? 

Very possible but I had taken a few short rides and hadn’t experienced any instability. It kind of threw me on my back like one other you tuber described in his video. Definitely much different than the V12. I felt like there was nothing I could do to bring it out if the wobble and then it just threw me flat on my back. I slowly rode it back to my shop. No alarms no diagnostics. So I suspect operator error at this point. Just looking for similarity with other experiences. 

• Like 1

My thoughts too but I’m just trying to figure it out. I’ll try freespinning tomorrow but didn’t see any perceivable out of trueness on the ride back. Will add brake assist tomorrow just don’t want anymore crashes. Thanks for everyone s input

The only time i have gotten a high speed wobble was when i first started riding the wheel and had my feet to far forward on the pedals. It's a beast to get going so i was standing forward on the pedals and it got squirrely around 35mph.  Since then i have adjusted the settings so i don't have to stand so far forward. It's very stable now, today i hit 45mph on it and it was smooth.

That’s something to check. I’m used to riding a bit forward in the v12 but I think the pedals are smaller. I’ll readjust the power pads tomorrow and see if that helps. What is everybody using for pedal angle. 

13 minutes ago, ixpacman said:

What is everybody using for pedal angle. 

I'm at +4° today, i was at +3°. That may be an odd tilt for some though but i found it easier to accelerate today with that setting.

I'm also thinking of changing the stock tire to the pilot 2. I have a few i got ahead of time because i really enjoyed using it on my v-11

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
afterthought

the inmotion "challenger" v13 is correctly named. this is my eleventh wheel and definitely the most challenging to master. i hit 701.4 km today on it after 17 days. still don't consider it mastered. 

my advice for it, or any wheel, is learn to ride it excruciatingly slow with a hard inflated tire. not running it flat like everybody's normal advice. turn off all accessory modes and make the pedals level and hard. 

then practice the cheerleader jump off and grabbing the wheel like this picture. ur gonna do this more than once. not hard to do.

9514CB04-C9DF-43A9-8FC9-2F1E9D3C896E.jpeg.5c4e7c5ebf20b8c12f618338decdaffa.jpeg

I haven’t put many miles on th v13 so far. After my pretty bad crash I have been very reluctant to sign up for crash dummy duty. Prior to crash/wobble Had acceleration and brake assistant turned off pedal softness at 74 percent pedal angle at -2. Was going about 25 mph. After crash I noticed the tire was low. I checked everything inflated tire to 35 psi maxed out acceleration and braking and set pedal softness to 64 per cent. Don’t like the pedal dipping with assistants turned up but thought I might get used to it   You are right about getting used to this wheel. I can just jump on my V12 ht and blast off do jumps navigate rocks and technical terrain like it’s part of me but in the V13 I’m just a scared bunny with no gonads. Go figure ?

Ah he's a good guy, Sir George - I like the way he discusses these things in a nice relaxed informal sort of way, and sort of 'ponders along' with how stuff feels, which is very relatable, rather than getting bogged down too much in technical detail.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1