Wireless charging?

So has anyone modded their wheel to do induction charging(wireless charging). I was thinking about modding my ks16x this way. So I can secretly charge my EUC at work without corporate saying something about stealing electricity or some other bs 

Edited by RagingGrandpa
(clarified title)

28 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

So has anyone modded their wheel to do induction charging(wireless charging). I was thinking about modding my ks16x this way. So I can secretly charge my EUC at work without corporate saying something about stealing electricity or some other bs 

I think this message was probably posted 3 days too early.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

What? They don't let you recharge? Even coffee shops lets costumers recharge and use computers and what not..

Simply place it under desk, or by some wall socket near you and charge away. Ofc keeping it out of way of other workers.. So the wheel doesn't become a inconvenience for others.

What workplace would even say something about that? One charge is about ~0.25cents..(My country prices.) Heck if they don't like that their electricity bill getting increased by what? 5$ a month? Simply pay them the 5$ so they shut up. :D 

NO need for bullshit wireless charging - also good luck getting that on wheel. Even regular old "slow" charger are pulling ~200W. With wireless you will be charging the wheel 2-3x longer. And have danger of messing whole wheel up! (Yes it is doable - if you are eletronic/engineering savvy, but not needed.)

Would love to know a workplace, which doesn't allow their workers charging their electronics..

18 minutes ago, Robse said:

I think this message was probably posted 3 days too early.

More like decades.. Maybe in 20-50 years we will have something like that. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Funky said:

What workplace would even say something about that?

The sort that has seen the fire reports of devices like this perhaps ?

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

in Denmark, it is already prohibited in several public workplaces to use the option of free charging. Not because of fire danger, because of high electricity prices. 1 kwh in Denmark with all state taxes is approx. 0,6 US dollars.   But i still think the original message is 3 days ahead of time :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robse said:

Denmark

Cheaper for business' though.

Cost to charge EUC would be approximately US 52 cents.

Range of 1554 Wh battery might be enough for round trip, and not require charging at work.

Denmark-Electricity.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Funky said:

Workplaces are protected.. Insured most of times. So what if it burns down? :D 

Yes, you're completely right :) And which customer wouldn't enjoy a moderate amount of lithium smoke with their coffees ? And a nice warm fire on a Winters day. And non seasonal fireworks - yes, I see now - it's ALL the win :D

Seriously tho - I can quite see cafes and whatnot not minding people powering their phones, or even laptops, but that is a bit different from getting out some turbo-fan industrial space brick that sucks <10 amps an hour out of their supply !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Yes, you're completely right :) And which customer wouldn't enjoy a moderate amount of lithium smoke with their coffees ? And a nice warm fire on a Winters day. And non seasonal fireworks - yes, I see now - it's ALL the win :D

Seriously tho - I can quite see cafes and whatnot not minding people powering their phones, or even laptops, but that is a bit different from getting out some turbo-fan industrial space brick that sucks <10 amps an hour out of their supply !

The thing is. The wheel is already in the "workplace". Meaning it can any moment burst into flames. Even while not charging. After rainy ride you store it in locker or under desk. 1hr latter everything is already in flames.

Charging or not charging makes no difference.

Or did you forget the wheel is already placed somewhere in the workplace? Yes not charging in workplace has lesser chance the wheel will go up in flames. But there still is that chance.

Same thing as mad-man walking in and start shooting everyone. Is there any chance of that happening? Probably no. But it still could.. Same thing as worker getting hurt, or even worst dying because of really bad accident. Things happen..

If people are so scared of keeping PEV's in houses.. BAN them right-out in every country - no EXCEPTIONS! Otherwise keep quiet and let the fires happen - when they happen.

Should fires happen because of PEV's? OFC NOT!!! But that's the risk we are taking. When we buy them. If every place has banned them - we don't need pevs anymore. As they become just problem to deal with.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Robse said:

if battery technology don't change to something safer, then it will be necessary to build fire safe storages for employees EV's.  Can't have them inside.

It's easier to ban the problem.(EUC) Than trying to fix/contain the problem.(Fire) Who would build storages and what not, if they can simply ban the device. DUH...

26 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Banning military assault rifles in every country for citizens, might be a good idea.

Video released by the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department...... body cam of the officers that stormed the school.

Covenant School Active Shooter Case--MNPD Body Camera Footage

21K subscribers

Mar 29, 2023

USA won't stand for that. Every household needs to have at least some dozen guns.. As they are perfect gifts for children and mentally unstable people..

Heck anyone can simply go in drift store and buy one without background checks. Or on street corners there.

In normal countries regular people/citizens rarely have guns. (Europe.) Somehow we all are living without guns here. :D

Civilization/people can be so smart, yet same time so dumb. We see the problem, but we don't do anything about the problem. Ignoring is easier. In perfect world we would not have guns, missiles, money, war.. But we aren't living in perfect world.

Heck even PEV technology aren't being researched so fast. Simply because dino-juice corporations won't stand for that. As they will be out of business, as soon as we don't need the dino-juice anymore. :D But that's from tinfoil hat stories.. But would not be surprised if it's true.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2

@Paul A + @Funky: Please keep the political, non-EUC content out of the EUC forum sections. Consider this message a penalty-free warning. If you need to discuss this further, please quote this post somewhere in Off-Topic. 

Now, back on-topic:

Wireless Charging

We had a good bit of discussion on it earlier: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/22534-wireless-charging-dicussion/

My take-away from that was: It adds a significant amount of complexity to the EUC, because the DC converter of the charger must move 'onboard.' Have a look at a 450W EUC charger, and ask yourself: "Where can I put this, inside my EUC, in a way that won't be exposed to dirt and moisture, nor struck by impact, nor overheat during recharging?" 

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Sounds pretty insane given the voltage and power needed to make it useful. Also assuming done with the induction methods for phones now, you've have to like put a box directly on top of the wheel to get close to the charging circuitry, or rig up some sort of stand you can put the wheel on and have it line up nicely, and said rig would have a power cord to an outlet, so not exactly surreptitious.

Edited by chanman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Maybe one day, understanding and harnessing dark energy/dark matter will be a reality.

EUCs with no batteries, unlimited range.

And then, and only then, the rider can say "the force is strong with this one"

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Funky said:

Simply place it under desk, or by some wall socket near you and charge away.

This would be my approach, just tuck it under your desk to keep it out of everyone's way. If you have your own workspace to yourself then leave a charger there and when you get to work and tuck your EUC out of the way, slip the charging plug in and leave it discreetly charging.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/29/2023 at 8:02 AM, onewheelkoregro said:

Only phones have it. 5-8 amps inductive charging? You'd probably trip pacemakers in the office.

Does "corporate" offer free carging for E-Cars? Phones? Laptops?

I would plug in for the last hour of work, instead of charging the whole day.  Less Obvious.

• Like 1