General questions about EUC safety

19manu91

Ciao to all :) I'm new in the forum but I'm driving my euc inmotion v8f since august 22'. This is my 1st euc and The only I've ever drive, I bought it new and now I've traveled about 1800km. The euc is generally in good condition, it suffered several falls in the first month but nothing so drastic. I've always used the euc with common settings from original inmotion app that are a speed limit at 30km/h but recently i see that the app was updated and the speed limit have been increased to 40km/h. I've never overcome 30km/h for long period, maybe I've reached some peak of 32/33 km/h, but I don't need more speed.. today I've approached internet to search if it is safe to maintain those limits.. I was terrified from what I find... I realized first of all that not safe at all to perform more than 30km/h on this euc (I'm about 90 kg Weight) but even worse I Read that those eucs are like a sort of "time bombs" (of course I'm exaggerating), I see that there is a substansial risk of self-ignition of lithium batteries sometimes also for no particular reason... I want to ask if there is any particular tips to follow to reduce the percentage risk and also if there is a way to understand The life status of my battery. Sorry if my English is not very good, I'm italian. Thank you! 

Edited by RagingGrandpa
(clarified title)
  • Like 1

First off - don't panic - no matter how risky your previous speeds were, you got away with it so far ! Just now you know better you won't push it so hard...

Your batteries become a fire risk if you have treated them badly, primarily; if you have wrenched every last bit of performance from the wheel all this time with really strong accelerations and braking and perhaps ridden it right down to empty regularly, or fast charged it again and again, or left it uninspected for water ingress or other damage. If you have ridden and charged sensibly it'll probably be fine. Just don't put it on charge and then fall asleep - make sure you are there keeping a watchful eye on the charges and you should be fine.

You can help yourself in the event of a wheel fire by sensible placement of it while it rests at home. VERY close to an entrance, but not close enough to block it if were aflame - ideally a room with 2 exits would be better. You usually get little warning pops or hisses before it goes up in a serious way, and there may be time to get it outside if you notice this in time. And if it is going to blow, outside is by far the best place for that to happen !

If you find you still worry, then then next step up is look at building some sort of fireproof box the wheel can live in in your house - there are multiple threads about this here already if you want to go that way. Some people also choose to store them in a garage, or in a heated outside container for example. But it does have to be SERIOUSLY fireproof - lithium fires are perhaps the most intense and extinguisher-resistant type of fire that humans know of - it unhelpfully generates its own oxygen, so only full submersion can stop it, and even that may take quite some hours to stop bubbling !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, 19manu91 said:

I realized first of all that not safe at all to perform more than 30km/h on this euc

Depends - riding on a more or less flat road and batteries more than half charged 35 km/h without stronger accelerations is no problem.

Hard accelerations will overlean the wheel already below 30km/h...

1 hour ago, 19manu91 said:

I see that there is a substansial risk of self-ignition of lithium batteries sometimes also for no particular reason...

Watch if final charge voltage decreases - that could be one sign of battery deterioation.

Water ingress, as mentioned is often bad.

Mechanical distress from accidents could be bad - if nickel strip welds got bad or cells get "direct hits"

Don't burden the wheel if batteries are low - the v8f has just 2 cells in parallel. Best do discharge to lower percentages as seldom as possible.

@Cerbera thank you for your replay.. I have to admit that I've not treated my battery always in the right way... I mean, I use my euc everyday to go to work except for days of heavy rain. I generally keep attention to charge my battery when it reach around the 30% and but I'm not Pay attention when it reach 100%.. I come home around 19, i put my euc under charged and I Plug off sometimes at 23,sometimes at 00, sometimes I'm so tired and I forgot to unplug during the night (not often) ... From Now on of course i will keep more attention but I'm afraid my batteries could be already compromised... I Read that a symptom of a bad healthy battery is that it can't be charged until 100% and is not my case. 

Someone on the forum have had am Experience similart to mine? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 19manu91 said:

but I'm not Pay attention when it reach 100%

That's OK. You don't have to unplug it straight away after green light, and in fact should leave it for an hour or 2 after that because it can help with balancing while it trickle charges.

The 'don't leave it charging while asleep' thing is only because there is a slightly higher chance of fire during charging than when it is just sitting doing nothing.

Edited by Cerbera

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

Fire extinguisher might not be very effective for a lithium battery fire.

Ah, the joy of lithium, and its self-producing, liquid-defying oxygen when it burns....

Edited by Cerbera

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

lithium, and its self-producing, liquid-defying oxygen when it burns....

Yes.

The video shows how much toxic smoke is produced.

If an EUC burns indoors, the smoke inhalation will be fatal.

In the NYC Bronx fire, January 2022, all 17 victims died from smoke inhalation.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/11/us/new-york-bronx-apartment-fire-tuesday/index.html

January 13, 2022

All 17 victims of Bronx apartment fire, including 2-year-old, died of smoke inhalation, NYC medical examiner rules

All 17 victims from a fire in a Bronx apartment building on Sunday died of smoke inhalation, according to the New York City Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME).

The manner of death was determined to be an accident for them all, said OCME director of public affairs Julie Bolcer.

The determination comes after an electric space heater sparked a fire in a duplex unit, flooding the 19-story apartment building with smoke.

Let's not panic OP unnecessarily with all these horror stories. He should remember that for every one of these EUC battery fires that occur there are many thousands that don't ! Although I did have to type that quietly so my own ones didn't overhear ! ;)

Edited by Cerbera

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to General questions about EUC safety

Buy a fire blanket, it will not put out fire just try to contain it, wet blanket with water...

You should ride with a lanyard, for several reasons, keep it from a runaway, or damages from tumbling, or going into a body of water or down steep cliff... you never know when you hit an unseen hole or bump...