moving up to a larger euc, what are the rider prerequisites (limiting factors, control limitations, etc,...)

bpong

if there is already a thread about this, please add the link to it in this topic.  im debating between a slightly larger suspended euc and a much larger, faster suspended euc.  does rider size also determine how large an euc one can ride ?  im a short person 5ft 3in but im still in relatively great shape and still quite flexible.  i have seen topics about riding a more powerful euc but it does not really discuss fully the differences for riders coming from a smaller euc who would like to move up to a larger faster euc.  any input would be greatly appreciated,  thank you all !!!

bpong

Depends on just how large you want to go I guess. I am a 6'3'', 265 lbs dude and the EX20S I recently got is a real handful to ride and trolley around even for me. Makes my V11 seem like a small, dainty toy. You could probably handle a V11 just fine. 

V11 or a Kingsong S18 would be my recommendation, for someone as small and presumably as lightweight as you the limitations of the S18 battery shouldnt be an issue.

Edited by mhpr262
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bpong said:

does rider size also determine how large an euc one can ride ?

Not directly, I think. There are small riders riding big wheels with good success. But there is a big difference in the riding technique you need to learn. Whichever 20+ inch wheel you’ll get made after 2020, your first impression will be that it’s a horribly big and lazy hippo that feels impossible to get to move or to control. The next few weeks you’ll spend your rides learning the technique. But it can be done.

I’m 193cm and 105kg. All 14” wheels are just ridiculous for me, practically unridable. 16x2.5” wheels felt the most natural size from the beginning, and even I struggled a bit when getting the 18x3” MSX.

I’ve been riding the MSX and V11 for over 20’000km in total, yet the S22 and Master both felt like overly wide and uncomfortable hogs that were very lazy to accelerate and brake. I know I’d learn the technique in time if I had to, but it would no longer be the kind of riding that I prefer.

If you have even the slightest chance of going to an EUC meet or reach out to a fellow rider close by, do it before you buy. If not, prepare yourself for a shock. It’ll be like jumping from a small moped to a large motorcycle.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

If not, prepare yourself for a shock. It’ll be like jumping from a small moped to a large motorcycle.

Yep, that. From MS3 to Master didn't seem like 2 inches of tyre size would make a great deal of difference, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Utterly different ride feel, and rather different muscles and movements required to control it, which initially at least, I didn't have ! Took me about a month to fully adapt to mine, which I felt was shamefully slow, but I was not being helped by the ultra tippy CST tyre, and was unprepared for how high the pedals were, and how top-heavy the machine is. That's why I think, as perhaps the lightest rider here in the forum (65 KG) I would have got on better had I waited for the better balanced EX-30, even though it is heavier still !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

Besides having less weight to throw around on high speed turning (technique, but there are actual limitations), you probably use 20% less battery per km than a typical rider so a long range super cruiser will go a very long way indeed. Which means you have the option of opting for 'smaller' batteries. Of course, as the wheel gets heavier rider weight is a smaller percentage of the total payload so you lose some advantage, but you don't necessarily have to get the gigantic batteries to realistically expect 120 km of range.

One thing that I had to get used to with the heavy cruiser is being stopped. My lack of mass gives me less leverage on the single pedal keeping the wheel upright so I had to adjust accordingly and come to a stop with the wheel essentially vertical. All this takes is adjustment, but don't expect to be able to toss the wheel around like the large riders do!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

One thing that I had to get used to with the heavy cruiser is being stopped. My lack of mass gives me less leverage on the single pedal keeping the wheel upright so I had to adjust accordingly and come to a stop with the wheel essentially vertical.

Yes, me too. Over time I find that my right hand comes down and lightly touches the top of the case so it is there to rescue it should my pedal foot falter whist stationary !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

all very relevant points made by y'all !!!

for sure i will try a few heavier, faster eucs this coming spring.  there is a retailer who rents eucs of various sizes and i will try a few heavier faster models to see what its all about.  of course all this while remembering the observations posted by you all.  thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about this posting !!!  i hope this helps others that are contemplating the same move to a larger faster euc.

bpong

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1