Where next for EUC ?

Cerbera

Where are EUC's going next - we've got the speed, we're just at the beginning of trying to get that speed safe, but what is coming after that, apart from advancements in battery tech and lighter materials etc etc ?

I appreciate it's only a minority that want to go faster than we already can, (and I'm not in that group) but I was thinking about the main limiting factor here, and it's still mainly the wind and trying to stand up in it once we hit 80 kph+. I was watching some helmet reviews and noticed the plastic wind shields they have on their bikes and wondered if we would ever want some fold-up system that diverted the wind around us if we crouched low for example...

image.thumb.png.33dfeb4bf4d2c0ddf8b47b1819181507.png

Early revisions could be something similar to this, but foldable so it remains portable and not unduly bulky ?

Could we see much bigger diameter monowheels, where seated riding is the main idea ?

What about much wider tyres - like 8-10 inches ?

When will stuff start to actually hover ?! :)

When can we get an EUC that will take off, drone stylee ? (presumably once we fixed the weight thing)

What systems would we like attached to these things that we don't have now ?

12 inch colour touch screens showing navigation and accessing calls / media, rear facing cameras transmitting to screen and helmet HUDs ? 

More, better lasers !

Advanced AVS so you can have velocity sensitive speeder bike noises ? (A level above what EUCW can do now)

Yes please to all of the above !

Not in my lifetime, on the whole, I fear :) Ah well, you're always going to have been too early, and that only gets worse as you get older !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Haha 2

I'm guessing that we're going to need more grip as wheels get more powerful so I'm guessing wider tires. 

Maybe not Ninebot Z widths but wider than 3in. Propietary EUC tires?

Then perhaps a slightly larger diameter wheel would prove useful, as long as torque is enough, and ease of acceleration. Like if 18in wasn't sluggish or heavy, most people would have them. Right now 16in is easier to get right somehow. In the future, I can see 18in being in 16in's spot. 

Voltages are going to go up.

Tubeless tires could become a thing. 

Real time tire pressure sensors would become a feature. 

Proximity sensors/alarms front and back.

Lightweight alloys. 

Electrically managed suspension. Adjustment on the fly.

eSim support. The wheel sends you a message/alert when it's being stolen or during charging/storage etc when packs are exhibiting odd values.

Onboard charger option.

Reverse charging between wheels. Help out a stranded friend.

Extreme fast charging. (Look at phones today.)

TRACTION CONTROL!

Emergency stop fallback systems. Crude balancing after major failure.

Edited by alcatraz

Axial flux electric motors. Those things deliver insane torque and power while being very lightweight and our large diameter, flat hub motors are really an almost ideal use case for them. Much better than the versions that are being built right now. Too bad that pretty much the whole market is owned by two firms (Magnax and YASA owned by AMG/Mercedes) and none of them will be interested in making motors for EUCs anytime soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is the question where are EUCs going “next” or “in 100 years”…?

Next:

- All manufacturers will keep doing some relatively small details differently, and some of them will turn out being good enough ideas for others to copy. Such as the type of suspension, colored touch screen, etc.

- Once a new winner battery tech comes through, Jason will aggressively push manufacturers into the new tech, which will revolutionize the wheels in just a few years.

- The legal status of the wheels gets worse in all EU countries. (Search for “25kg insurance“ for more info.)

In 100 years:

- There will be so many small changes, general technical advancements, and other inventions that EUCs are nearly indistinguishable from the current ones. The changes are impossible to predict with any kind of accuracy. The legal state of EUC style devices will either be extremely grim due to automated policing, or it has gained a good foothold and public acceptance in personal transport.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 2:12 PM, Cerbera said:

only gets worse as you get older

some of us got here quite late and grumble about all those years the youngsters are going to have riding...

I expect to see a number of different attempts at suspension, with further pushing of the speed and range boundaries. Suspension will get better and more reliable, but looking at mtb I don't think we'll see any omg developments. Maybe change-tuning-on-the-fly, or perhaps adaptive tuning or a suspension/pedal hanger that can raise and lower the pedal height without tools or pumps. Speed and range are all about power plants, those will iterate but the size of the market gets pretty small so I don't expect too much more there.

Somebody is going to figure out how to balance side-to-side (reaction wheel?) and that'll really be a deal, might allow EUCs to mainstream.

I do think we'll see more work on preventing faceplants, ways to ensure adequate power delivery through various hardware failure modes (S22 brought us sensorless, V13 dual hall sensors, that kind of thing). I also expect that riders will find ways to faceplant in spite of these measures.

I hope the V13 style projector headlight will be standard. And one that adjusts its angle on hills. I'd love to see never-ever-get-a-flat tires (they may be closer than we think, the bicycle peeps are almost there).

Retractable pads for seated riding? A "sit sensor" that changes the braking mode when you're sitting on it?

What about detachable batteries so there is at least some chance a cruiser can be lifted into the boot of a sedan or carried up a steep flight of stairs? (different reason than battery exchange, which is much more problematic—and cost prohibitive IMO)

And of course, one day they'll fly. There's a lot to look forward to!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Haha 1