Tesla test drive

Gimlet

Taking SWMBO for a test drive in a Tesla on Friday.

I checked out their Web site when we returned from Berlin and found that they are doing test drives from the Bailbrook House Hotel which is one 2km down the hill from my house so it was a chance I just couldn't pass up.

Just hope she likes driving it as every other car I've got her to ​ look at over the past two years just hasn't measured up to her 11 year old Jag which I bought her new for her birthday. It's getting a bit long in the tooth now so I've been looking for a while.

Present manufacturing and delivery time is October which is when her birthday is so it could save me having to rack my brains for an alternative. :)

I've test driven the Tesla Model S twice now. Every time a great experience. It glides effortlessly and quietly through the city traffic as well as cruising relaxed on the Autobahn. Getting back into my 1,5 year old car after that is like going back in time. 

Of course it all comes down to the driving profile that fits you, in terms of range and recharging possibilities along the way.

Definitely a great great car though! And it uses the same batteries (for the time being) as our EU's ;-)

Same batteries but loads more of them. Yet they are still able to swap out the whole battery pack in about 3 minutes. Maybe their designers should take a quick look at euc design and make a few recommendations. :)

• 2 weeks later...

@dmethvin as it's for the wife I included all the safety extras I could :) but automatic emergency braking has been enabled on all the S models now as far as I know so in theory it should be impossible to crash into a sign or anything thing else that isn't moving whilst manoeuvring at low speed.

• 2 weeks later...

So you can charge a car with about 20kW what is not bad at all. Even a empty Tesla will be full in 4 to 5 hours (if the Tesla can charge 22kW from a AC plug).

(Not all cars can charge with 3 phases, so maybe only arround 7kW is the charging current)

If you have a Tesla ordered, make sure your cable is long enough......the charging port is at the left side of the car (here in left side steered cars)

The wife parks her car right in front of the dwarf wall alongside the house, actually by our bedroom window so fairly safe overnight. The charging port is on the same side in the UK cars. A 2metre cable would be long enough but the one wound around the power point is about 5 metres so no problem.

In the UK most houses are only supplied with single phase electricity but it does come in at 220v so the cable is sized for 32amp charging maximum, so yes its 7kw. Plenty to get it fully charged overnight.

Gimlet, was your charge point installed under a government subsidy?

I got one through justpark.com but it's never been used!
If you ever come via York, you can try it out for me!:D

Yes I got the subsidy but they cut it back to 75% of the cost earlier this year so I still had to shell out £240 but I can get £40 VAT back on that through the business.

So you get a Type2 32A charging station for arround £1000  incl. tax?

This is a pretty good price (I know there is not a lot in the box but here you have to double the price)

Is this price installed?

That was the installed price for the tethered type connection point in the picture.

The boss of guy who came is a Tesla owner himself but I did get other quotes that were only £20 more.

The guy who came put in a seperate consumer unit for it though whereas the other quotes were going to double up my lighting circuits to use the spare breaker on the existing unit. Very neat job. I'm very happy with it.

• 1 month later...

20150722_162747.thumb.jpg.d4c03670526e19The boss turned up today to fit the sd card that logs all the charge info for the government to monitor the chargepoints they've subsidised.

Great that he actually brought his car and could test the charger in real terms.

Archived