First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13

Josiah

Posted (edited)

7D62346A-28BC-4420-89CB-4EFC69A4C27F.thumb.jpeg.593bbb789b549d91b896a5265d18dec6.jpeg

I took a ride up to gross reservoir about 40 miles round-trip.  So fun to go downhill at 40% and after 10 miles still at 40% batterie.  I feel comfortable now at around 55 miles an hour standing or seated.  Next time one of you guys are in the Boulder area we should have a group ride.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Happy Mother’s Day to any Moms here!  Reminder to call the moms in your lives guys.

P.S.  despite experience and ability I’ve been demoted to E-4 from E-5 for being EUC AWOL

10636B33-953B-453E-A46B-4EEC84B182A6.thumb.jpeg.df2128a1c892d1a45f912c6f2aefcf9a.jpeg

Edited by Josiah
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, had my first low power cut off today.  Was leaning way into a tilt back and beep at very low power trying to get to a big down hill section and home.  Palms slapped the bike path concrete and skinned my leg through a thin pair of jeans (denim it’s not what it used to be).   Crash right in front of an emergency room lol and also had only 3% battery on my phone but it was enough to call an Uber. Thank goodness it was near some parking lot that I could be picked up and not in the middle of nowhere.  

7189CDC9-CE52-4EAA-8147-7165269C2545.thumb.jpeg.cf281d4b9da386ec63e4025cdc2dce7a.jpeg

Warning 

Small road rash pic below 

24F3F854-253F-46F2-A6D1-CE327F9A72DA.thumb.jpeg.dea0aab7a97f21eae2ad5bcfd12b6473.jpeg

Edited by Josiah
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

Wow - you managed to circumvent the plethora of safety features of the most safe wheel there has ever been ! Aren't those famous for (among other things) having an unusually large 'reserve' of power in the tank ?! I didn't think it'd even let you ride it down to empty ! Perhaps their tilt-back isn't severe enough to make the rider dismount before critical power levels ? I guess we know now ! :)

Looks a bit ouchy on the knees there. Was that armour letting you down, or lack of it ? 

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Perhaps their tilt-back isn't severe enough to make the rider dismount before critical power levels ?

9 hours ago, Josiah said:

Was leaning way into a tilt back and beep at very low power

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

As I said, not severe enough. The Begode tiltback is simply impossible to ride when its near critical levels. Just wondered why InMotions isn't similarly compelling !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

The Begode tiltback is simply impossible to ride when its near critical levels.

I have friends who have pushed past it and cut out at low levels so its not "impossible" . Tiltback on any wheel can be overcome if you try hard enough. He was probably standing on the front of the pedals forcing it because the tiltback for inmotion dumps you off the back if you don't do that.

• Like 1

I’ve got the Clark bumpers on the front which gives me a bunch of leverage. I was standing on the edge of the petals sitting down because it was windy and putting all my weight on the front of that Clark pad. At least I had my helmet on.  Sore today though.  

You are brave man indeed to do seated riding without Leatt Dual Axis or similar !! Interested to know - would this accident make you wear them from now on ?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

would this accident make you wear them from now on ?

Good question. I love the feel of riding with and without the pads so I don’t think I’ll wear them every time. But I have been regularly hitting 55 mph on my ride so I probably should.

I’m definitely going to try and avoid pushing it to zero battery though. I thought it would actually stop going at some point not just cut out.

Edited by Josiah
More context

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Good question. I love the feel of riding with and without the pads so I don’t think I’ll wear them every time. But I have been regularly hitting 55 mph on my ride so I probably should.

Ah so more SotGsotT than ATGATT then ? :D 

OK, and what about if this accident had smashed both your kneecaps in, and you were now typing this thread from hospital, where you had been told you won't walk again for 6 months, and it will hurt for all the time and for years afterwards ? Because I hate to say it, but at those sorts of speeds, and with that style of riding, it was only luck that decided which end of the hurt spectrum you were on, and you were lucky enough to roll a 1 !! :) But having dropped that small cautionary note I won't bang on about it any more, because I respect everyone's individual choices of course, and there are more important lessons to learn about how far we can ride tilt-back for example !

I presume you are less inclined to wear armour all the time than I am because you ride a typically much more reliable and safe machine, and that may well be justified, but we must be careful not become too secure or complacent about armour, because no matter how reliable the machine is, there is no planning for the unforeseen emergency and we are ALL at risk of those ALL the time we are in motion ! On a related note, we must also not be complacent about what armour can do, and we shouldn't all ride like nutters, assuming we'll be safe in a fall if we're wearing it ! But we will be safER, which is why it's a no-brainer for me, even though it makes riding on hot days much more unpleasant than it should be !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

stop going at some point not just cut out.

Those are one in the same my friend...:rolleyes: I'm glad you are ok aside from the bruising and i would have to say i am like you with the gear, however i have been getting better about wearing my motorcycle pants/jacket with the minimal padding in it.  And i should probably wear more than a skate helmet......:lol:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Josiah said:

I’m definitely going to try and avoid pushing it to zero battery though. I thought it would actually stop going at some point not just cut out.

Reminds me of when we as children raced in the forest on our standard bikes. There was only one way to find out how much speed and lean the turns could be taken with, that was to keep going faster and faster until it went wrong.:P

• Haha 2

I just remembered thinking there’s a hill up ahead, soon my battery will remain steady.  Then somehow I start thinking, when I was in extreme tilt back, I’m putting on my weight so far forward it’s almost like I’m going down hill.  Maybe the battery could last forever riding like this… crash. 

15 hours ago, Robse said:

Reminds me of when we as children raced in the forest on our standard bikes. There was only one way to find out

Good memories though, right.  EUCs make me feel like a kid again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Rode around rocky flats wildlife reserve with my new euc buddy yesterday.  It was formerly a nuclear detonator manufacturing site.  There are a few controls in place to keep everyone safe.  My friend call is it the Fall Out 4 ride.  

About 20 miles of trail out and back.  Plus some cool old abandoned home and farm buildings.

We’re the InMotion crew, with me on the V13 and him on the V14.  He’s doing mostly 80 20 charging. 

Lastly I had forgotten to mention last post, that on my night mountain trail ride I adjusted the tilt to 3 degrees back to raise the headlight on the steep incline.  Seemed to make a big difference.   At zero degrees I can really only see five feet in front of the wheel.  At three I can see 30’

512F7C55-9077-445E-82E9-784007594800.thumb.jpeg.25a0c736eee36eb65b6b48c936fe729b.jpeg

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...