8 wheel slider upgrades from eWheels

5Cauac

55 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

a proper puller tool.

Curious if anyone has discovered/made a proper tool yet? I was noodling on ideas, but do acknowledge I'm better at thinking of fantastic ideas than actually making them real... and I'm lazy. This is why the checkbook tool is my go-to.

31 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

This is why the checkbook tool is my go-to.

In normal circumstances I would do the same however I had to improvise making it an unnecessary and frustrating task. The good thing is that only the first and fifth wheels needed to be removed to get to the four mounting holes. ;)

Edited by 5Cauac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

Curious if anyone has discovered/made a proper tool yet? I was noodling on ideas, but do acknowledge I'm better at thinking of fantastic ideas than actually making them real... and I'm lazy. This is why the checkbook tool is my go-to.

It would seem using tire spoons can pop them off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNds_HpVJbY&t=1s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, level9 said:

It would seem using tire spoons can pop them off

Yes,but this only works if they are mounted to the bracket. He is using the metal plates as leverage. Unmounted is a differnt story. 

11 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

Yes,but this only works if they are mounted to the bracket. He is using the metal plates as leverage. Unmounted is a differnt story. 

Could still work. Just need to put something even next to the rails for leverage (wood shims, etc.).

One of the takeaways that's particularly interesting in the video is he noted what most people would think to be the "proper tool" could potentially damage the pins.

12 minutes ago, level9 said:

Could still work. Just need to put something even next to the rails for leverage (wood shims, etc.).

One of the takeaways that's particularly interesting in the video is he noted what most people would think to be the "proper tool" could potentially damage the pins.

Always the case... sometimes the proper tool isn't the appropriate tool. In a situation where the bearing press fit is tighter, or it has seized to the post you might have to use a proper puller (and protect the post from the tool).

I mean, if all else fails a dremel to cut the wheel in half (or a nut breaker) could work too.

Either way, once mounted it looks like servicing the wheels shouldn't be terrible. But as the OP warned: don't put all the wheels on before you get the thing mounted!

(extra kewl: I won't buy a bearing puller until I need to buy one!)

Edited by Tawpie

3 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Can you not clamp the slider in a vise. Then you the use the top of the jaws for leveraging the tire spoons. 

You could, but part of the Al is pretty thin so I'd be worried about smashing it. Underneath the wheels is a thin section that rides on the outside of the battery box, it's likely to reduce the size of the chunks that get into the channel. Somebody posted a cross section somewhere...

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

You could, but part of the Al is pretty thin so I'd be worried about smashing it. Underneath the wheels is a thin section that rides on the outside of the battery box, it's likely to reduce the size of the chunks that get into the channel. Somebody posted a cross section somewhere...

I see.

Except for the wheels at the ends, you can clamp the slider onto a table top or a 2x4 with C-clamps on top of the adjacent wheels. Then use the tire spoons with the top of the wood for leveraging support. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 12:11 AM, Tawpie said:

I have one but I haven't tested yet, it's a small simple bearing puller with a small 3d printed part to make the sharp pointy end not in so pointy and sharp, will test it next dissassembly.

1223431256_Screenshot_20230117_085432_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.d66ae3ad1999a68dbb14ed0081463263.jpg

https://www.amazon.se/dp/B07WFYXHJQ

6 hours ago, Rawnei said:

I have one but I haven't tested yet, it's a small simple bearing puller with a small 3d printed part to make the sharp pointy end not in so pointy and sharp, will test it next dissassembly.

1223431256_Screenshot_20230117_085432_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.d66ae3ad1999a68dbb14ed0081463263.jpg

https://www.amazon.se/dp/B07WFYXHJQ

Someone made a vid showing that they used a puller and the center pin deformed the aluminum shaft make removal even more difficult. You may have better luck with that if you use a steel nut as a pusher  between the tool and the aluminum stud of the roller instead of a plastic 3d printed thing. 

Edited by NErider
Left out the important part.

Yes you need a puller like that, but way smaller and I would not even try the one above, since the slides are made of aluminum!!! Should not be to hard to fabricate... 

This is really pissing me off I bought ks22 from alien rides and they are not expecting to getting the roller slides, I have no access to the damn slides!!! 

Edited by MetricUSA

29 minutes ago, NErider said:

Someone made a vid showing that they used a puller and the center pin deformed the aluminum shaft make removal even more difficult. You may have better luck with that if you use a steel nut as a pusher  between the tool and the aluminum stud of the roller instead of a plastic 3d printed thing. 

The 3D printed part is made of TPU, has plenty of volume between tip and bottom and screws onto the tip to robustly stay in place, it should be easy to see if it's effective or not without damaging the slider I think, if the wheel doesn't easily move don't force it.