S22 dive happy in turns

level9

I've noticed my S22 wants to seemingly randomly dive during turns, particularly turns taken at speed.

I remember when the first reviews came out for this wheel and experienced riders were falling off even at low speeds in turns.

The blame was placed on the profile of the stock tire. I changed my tire to a Michelin City Grip 2 for a rounded profile but the behavior was the same.

Then the blame was placed on the top heavy nature of the wheel. My S18 is also top heavy but I didn't have this experience. I tried changing the suspension to the highest and lowest settings but didn't notice any difference.

Then the blame was placed on the rear weight bias of the wheel with some people flipping the pedals around or even riding it backwards for more stability. I haven't tried this yet.

I'm curious what other people's experiences are with this issue and how to resolve it? different pads, pad placement or pedals or ... ?

41 minutes ago, level9 said:

my S22 wants to seemingly randomly dive during turns, particularly turns taken at speed.

what @5Cauac said...

But if by "dive" you mean it wants to tip over sideways, I haven't noticed that at speed. At low speeds, yes, it wants to tip over if you lean it too far (I did my first pedal scrape the other day while going too slow)... personally I think this is a weight distribution and tire profile thing. Once you exceed a certain lean angle its weight overtakes the centripetal forces and it wants to go down quickly.

At high speed I'd expect the suspension to be slightly compressed and your pedals to be a bit lower—if you hit bumps the effective pedal height could change some?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5Cauac said:

Are you saying that the pedals dip forward as you are turning? That's software not hardware.

Recalibrate your wheel and see if things improve. 

It's not so much pedal dipping as I've experienced on other wheels but a sudden dive from holding stable and I have to quickly shift my weight to prevent falling over - all while in a sharp turn != fun.

Good reminder about calibration as I haven't done that yet and I've seen wheels behave oddly before and this fixed it. I'll give that a shot.

While looking around for the best way to do this, I came across this video. Apparently even calibrating perfectly level results in a negative 0.5 degree tiltback and the wheel rolling backwards on its own as I've seen demonstrated in various reviews. I presume this is due to the strong rear weight bias. It would seem this bias could at least be partly compensated for by calibrating with a forward 0.5 degree tilt.

Ok, just happened to get my grizzla pads in and the fairing plates today.

I installed them and also moved the pedals into the forward position. I have not calibrated yet (the wheel still wants to roll backwards by itself).

I took it for a test ride and other than the significant improvements in acceleration as well as a massive braking boost, it's way, way more stable at speed and in turns.

I'm going to guess the issue was maintaining stability with the stock pads and/or pedal position or probably both.

8 hours ago, supercurio said:

@level9 the S22 are shipped uncalibrated unfortunately. Probably the first thing to do before riding the first time. So it fixed your pedal behavior, right?

That's unfortunate. That might at least somewhat explain a lot of reviewers initial impressions of the wheel lacking in torque. I mean if the wheel is uncalibrated and rear weight heavy it's going to be rather hard (comparatively to many other wheels) to get it to move forward easily.

I haven't calibrated yet. I'll do that soon and test. My best guess atm is the resolution for my issue was likely shifting the pedals (and pads) forward to counter balance the rear weight bias which resulted in an increase in stability and control. Even uncalibrated, it's much, much more enjoyable to ride. I went from feeling like this thing is a large, bulky, somewhat unstable paper weight that I have to figure out how to inelegantly throw around to almost as nimble as my S18!

The weight at the rear and it's tendency to roll back without a rider is irrelevant when riding. You only need to bias your body weight 1 or 2 lbs forward of the axle centerline to offset the weight of the shock. 

If you try to correct that with calibration,  you would have to tilt it so far to align the center of gravity with the center of the axle that it would not be in a reasonable position. 

My S22 pedal dipped hard out of the box. Then I calibrated it, and it's been great ever since. No issues with the original tire. I thought I would swap it out as soon as I got it, but it is wide, well profiled, and grippy off road. 

The S22 has very solid pedal behaviour compared to many other wheels, there is no dipping or other things going on, so as already advised you should calibrate yours.

The stock tire has a more rounded profile and less of a dead angle than the K262 or CST186 which comes mounted on many other wheels.