Begode Master: charger continues charging at 100%

vasol

I noticed my charger continues to charge (light stays orange, continues making loud noises) even after the wheel has been charged to 100%.  its showing 133.5v at 100% while still plugged in and charging.  when unplugged it will drop to 133v at 100%.  

in the past the wheel would charge to 100% and 134v and would automatically stop charging.  the wheel has around 550 miles on it.  

also the wheel was charging while turned on (so i could monitor battery %).  after about 3-4 hours...at 96% the wheel started beeping and then turned itself off.  i was able to turn it back on right away.  Is this an auto off feature or some type of safety warning? 

42 minutes ago, vasol said:

the wheel started beeping and then turned itself off

How many beeps, and were there any long / short ones ?

I don't think it's an auto-off feature as I recently left mine on for at least 6 hours to try and drain the battery when I thought it would be down for a significant time, and it didn't ever power off in that time. I do wonder if having the machine on at time of charging was a good idea, and I suspect even a fully working one might not be able to make 100% while it is on. Mine charges to 134.0 volts at 100% and the charger does shut off (for now) but I notice that as soon as I power up the machine once, that voltage drops to 133.something.

Did you see the post in the original Master thread about balancing battery packs, and checking your charger is outputting the right voltage ?

EDIT: Lols - @Mango just posted it :)

Never worry about charge percentages (wherever they come from). Only voltage counts. 134.4V is the full voltage, and there is no problem if you reach that. In fact, it is beneficial to have the battery fully charged regularly. The BMS will also shut down charging if the voltage gets too high, so no worries about charging too much with a defective charger, for example.

The charger keeping charging at 133.5V is what it is supposed to do. All good.

• Upvote 2

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Salihdkn said:

Can you tell me more about this?

Not entirely sure what you ask.

As you charge a battery, its voltage increases. The charge state is the voltage, which can be anything from "empty" (something like 96 Volt here) to full (134.4V here for the Master).

So the quoted 133.5V means the battery is nearly full, but not entirely full. You're a small bit below 134.4V. So at that point, the charger should keep charging until it gets to the full voltage.

(Note that electric unicycle voltage measurements are not very precise, so the displayed voltage isn't too exact. Going a little above the 134.4V can also happen, that's no problem.)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Not entirely sure what you ask.

As you charge a battery, its voltage increases. The charge state is the voltage, which can be anything from "empty" (something like 96 Volt here) to full (134.4V here for the Master).

So the quoted 133.5V means the battery is nearly full, but not entirely full. You're a small bit below 134.4V. So at that point, the charger should keep charging until it gets to the full voltage.

(Note that electric unicycle voltage measurements are not very precise, so the displayed voltage isn't too exact. Going a little above the 134.4V can also happen, that's no problem.)

im just wondering if mine isn't charging to full bcs it doesn't go above 133.5