Best bearing grease for electric unicycle motors?

RoboFixIt

Went to NAPA looking for some bearing grease but they only have the stuff for cars and trucks. I'm not finding that many search results when looking online but I did find a .pdf that recommends A NLGI 2?

Liqui-Moly Marine Grease is the one that gets easily the most recommendations here. One of it's features is the low viscosity of 100mm2/s. Stiffer greases decrease the range and output power.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElectronxCycles said:

This ones not bearing grease though?

It is not. But it's better suited to that purpose on EUCs than the Mos2 bearing grease I bought before that.

Edit: Coming to think of it, I think boat trailer bearings might've been mentioned as an intended target for the product.

Edited by mrelwood

2 hours ago, ElectronxCycles said:

This ones not bearing grease though?

It certainly works as bearing grease though. I just completely filled both sides of mine with it, and it has never ridden better.

16 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

It is not. But it's better suited to that purpose on EUCs than the Mos2 bearing grease I bought before that.

I just found some at a local motorbike shop so it must be legit!

• 1 year later...
On 11/2/2022 at 3:26 PM, Cerbera said:

It certainly works as bearing grease though. I just completely filled both sides of mine with it, and it has never ridden better.

Is the Liqui Moly Marine Grease still holding up?
Did you find the bearings sounding louder with more friction? 

I'm having issues with Liqui Moly  

On 11/2/2022 at 3:24 PM, mrelwood said:

What are your thoughts on the increase in friction sound with the Liqui Moly?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'm going to call BS on this... Don't use Liqui Moly Marine Grease!

Too thick and sticky for bearings! Maybe good for boats but not going to be smooth enough for wheel bearings 

On 4/1/2024 at 5:34 PM, RoboFixIt said:

Is the Liqui Moly Marine Grease still holding up?

Yes, but only does so for so long IME. I have done 2 re-greasings in the year and half I have owned this wheel, and I did them to fix a knocking noise that started after I got caught out in a very heavy rainstorm. The first time I did it, the knocking remained gone for aprox 8 months, then came back incrementally, and quieter, so I did it again a month ago, and it remains gone up to the present day. But that's the knocking - you are more concerned with a general rotation / friction noise, which is there on mine, but to much lesser degree, and I haven't noticed that becoming worse since changing the grease, either initially, or thereafter. So perhaps the difference isn't down to the grease at all, but what is going wrong with wear to our various bearings, which is likely to be different, and therefore produce different levels of noise.

39 minutes ago, RoboFixIt said:

Ok I'm going to call BS on this... Don't use Liqui Moly Marine Grease!

Too thick and sticky for bearings! Maybe good for boats but not going to be smooth enough for wheel bearings 

If you are currently using 100% fill, you can use less.

I like mine to have 100% grease fill, and a freely rotating wheel bearing, so I dilute the grease first with a quality SAE 75W-90 gear oil.

Bearing grease often liquifies at operating temperature. Meaning it's solid at room temp but with bearing friction it liquifies and as such solid grease is actually an oil when riding.

It's also why it escapes your seals if you've damaged them. A tiny tiny gap is enough for it to escape.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

Bearing grease often liquifies at operating temperature. Meaning it's solid at room temp but with bearing friction it liquifies and as such solid grease is actually an oil when riding.

It's also why it escapes your seals if you've damaged them. A tiny tiny gap is enough for it to escape.

Unlike in a truck or car at highway speeds for miles and miles, the grease temperature increase would be insignificant in an euc.

And the drag in wheel bearings due to grease can be very significant. Even riding in the summer heat, there don't seem to be a perceivable reduction in drag due to the grease. Maybe if the motor is over heated, then the motor covers can get warm or hot.

When I examine the grease in my bearings in my T3 after months of riding, the grease fill still appeared to be 100%.

Even if grease can leak out, if would take a very long time before enough grease would have escaped to cause bearings noises and premature wear.

Bearings failure for me has been entirely due to road salt from riding in the winter months.

Contaminants can come in too. Not just grease escaping. If the outside of the bearings are sticky with lots of crap it means grease has possibly leaked.

Also, the seals can't seal even if new when the alignment is off.  So people who constantly replace bearings or pack new grease probably have poor alignment. 

Bearings that spin fast can reach very high temperatures. Even at slow rpm you can get enough heat to liquify the grease depending on what the grease is. Ideally it should liquify for the lowest resistance (and low heat). 

Overpacking with grease or using supet thick grease is also bad news because your balls stop rolling. They get dragged around and wear out the bearing in a very short time. The play between the inner and outer race should be and remain very small. Then you get the advertised life of tens of thousands of km. 

On 4/10/2024 at 3:32 PM, Cerbera said:

I did them to fix a knocking noise that started after I got caught out in a very heavy rainstorm

Have a knocking sound here too! I don't feel any drag or any resistance at all on the wheel and after reading up on this issue I just decided to turn on some music and the knocking sound fades away like a little click track :lol: I'll just replace the bearings in the next week or so anyway and forget about Marine Grease