Is there any ADVANTAGE to the lower pedals on the GotWay RS?

On 10/19/2022 at 4:07 AM, alcatraz said:

Higher pedals also mean you have less leverage for braking and accelerating. You need more rider input to perform those actions.

I wish my 19inch wheel had a "super duper hard mode" to compensate. I don't like leaning into the pads so much.

It's the other way around. Softer ride modes require less rider input, since the wheel lets you fall into the lean a bit before accelerating. Modern hard modes are exhausting to ride because they require more input. A hard mode is fast enough to correct your lean before you even reach the intended lean angle.

I didn't notice any decreasing of leverage or requiring more rider input when switching from the MSX to one of the tallest EUCs ever, the V11. But the software is very different in Gotway and Inmotion, so it could compensate for the phenomena.

8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

It's the other way around. Softer ride modes require less rider input, since the wheel lets you fall into the lean a bit before accelerating. Modern hard modes are exhausting to ride because they require more input. A hard mode is fast enough to correct your lean before you even reach the intended lean angle.

I didn't notice any decreasing of leverage or requiring more rider input when switching from the MSX to one of the tallest EUCs ever, the V11. But the software is very different in Gotway and Inmotion, so it could compensate for the phenomena.

Less rider input but with delayed acceleration. I mean less rider input without added delay (delay can be dangerous in an emergency stop situation). Also, to maintain the acceleration soft mode does little as you need to apply torque to keep accelerating. Long arms should enable a wheel to accelerate fast even without power pads.

Moving your center of weight X cm off center on the MSX results in much less acceleration than on a Tesla. Both in hard mode and both without delay.

I'm not sure it's only because of the wheel size. I think it's because there's less leverage to torque the shell, partially because of the shorter arm to wheel size ratio.

5 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Less rider input but with delayed acceleration. I mean less rider input without added delay (delay can be dangerous in an emergency stop situation).

I guess you can call it delayed if you go to extremes. For me personally 60-70% sensitivity is already much much better than full hard. It's easier on the feet, and accelerates with less input.

Also, to maintain the acceleration soft mode does little as you need to apply torque to keep accelerating.

I feel the other way around. Softer modes don't try to neutralise the lean, so you don't have to keep pushing.

And by "softer" I don't mean "soft", but anything softer than full hard.

Long arms should enable a wheel to accelerate fast even without power pads.

I don't know which arms you are talking about.

Have you calculated the difference in the applied force between lower and higher pedals? Because going from 16x2.125" to 18x3" is roughly a 23% difference in diameter. So yes, it's a very big difference in itself.

Surely it is harder to mount/dismount with higher pedals?  I would think that one advantage of lower pedals is that it is easier to step up to a lesser height when mounting the wheel.  I haven't really had any issue with clipping the pedals on my RS, maybe I just don't corner aggressively enough.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

Surely it is harder to mount/dismount with higher pedals? 

Yes, considerably so ! :) And moreso still if the wheel is very heavy because you have to manage the weight of it as you mount, and it takes longer to accelerate to the speed where angular momentum keeps us upright. A week in to my new wheel I still only get that mounting / dismounting fully right about 85% of the time, which is not enough :)

Edited by Cerbera

3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

A week in to my new wheel I still only get that mounting / dismounting right about 85% of the time, which is not enough :)

I think it depends on the rider, coming from the RS to the Master I didn't have any trouble mounting the wheel. I am 6'4" though.

• Upvote 1