Best way to estimate expected range of EUCs by model name & driving conditions

mathfux

I'm struggling to find some good way to determine a relation between motor power, battery capacity and the range of wheel. I've seen a lot of people uploading videos with their range tests and getting completely different results. I know it depends a lot on whether conditions, riders weight, battery temp, ,,mountainousness" of the roads, etc... But feel like it's not as accurate as I would like to achieve while trying to predict what is the real range of a certain vehicle.

For instance, INMOTION v10 claims to have 60 miles range but in reality it varies from 20 to 35 miles. I'm 60kg weight, driving in 8°C, 18mph, a little bit windy, pretty plain roads and just don't know what to expect from INMOTION v10 or any other I can afford. Looks like another big issue from the perspective of freshmen in EUC industry as me. So my questions are:

• How does battery capacity vs motor power affect range? As for instance I use my KS-16S with 1200W motor and 840Wh, what's the most common range I expect to get regardless model name? What to expect from much better EUC with 2200W vs 1110Wh?
  • How does weather temperature affect range? Say -10°C, 0°C, 10°C, 20°C?
  • How does wind speed affect range? Say 2mph, 5mph, 10mph?
  • How does [rider + vehicle] weight affect range? Say 60, 80 or 100 kilos?
  • How does altitude change affect range? Say I ride 10 meters up and then 10 meters down per each mile of my journey but I can also 20 or even 50 meters if road is much more bumpy. Or 0 meters if it's completely plane.
  • How does mileage affect range? As for instance I'm able to ride 40 miles with my new fully charged EUC, do I need to expect it to drop to 30 miles if I'll ride further 5000 miles?

I assume there's no need to measure full range while discharging a battery from 100% to 0% because it will shorten life of battery few times so I expect it to drop from 90% to 20% instead according to this article. I also usually ride asphalted roads around my house, my tire is inflated fully and I don't brake hard.

What are your insights on these factors? I'll try to share mine too if I find good sources.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MrEUCMan said:

This is easy. Take all manufacture posted range and divide by half. That's your realistic range.

100% correct & for really cold weather riding divide by 3 

Edited by Mayhem
  • Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 2:10 AM, MrEUCMan said:

This is easy. Take all manufacture posted range and divide by half. That's your realistic range.

It's not right. I own KingSong KS-16s and manufacturer posts a 70-80 km range. In reality, I'm able to ride 70 km until full discharge. I've also seen e-shops writing it was 100km range and another one only 50-70km. I can't trust ranges provided by e-shops or manufacturers anymore so that's why I'm looking for different way to determine it.

I heard also that majority of manufacturers performs tests on ideal conditions to determine their EUC ranges. Plane road, 20°C, 70kg rider's weight, no acceleration, no wind. This might be sufficient enough to foresee what to expect in reality assuming effects of various circumstances are known very well.

By opening this topic, I encourage you to investigate contribution of various factors to EUC range more thoroughly. I'll share my efforts too.

To start with, I'll share my insights how to derive EUC range from other parameters provided my manufacturer I could trust. I'm using data of Latvian seller https://viensrats.lv/ since they provide quite realistic range estimates. There is a list of all Gotway EUC in their store (23 model names in total):

Gotway MCM5 V2 460wh 84V
Begode/Gotway RS 1800Wh 100v
Begode/Gotway EX.N 19″ 2700Wh 100v
Begode (Extreme Bull) Commander 203600 Wh 100v
Begode Mten4 750Wh
Gotway Nikola Plus 1800Wh
Gotway MCM5 800Wh V2
Begode(Gotway) Tesla V3 1500Wh 84V
Begode Master 2400Wh 134.4V V2
Extreme Bull (Begode) X-men Yellow HT 1800 Wh 100V
Begode Master Molicel P42a 2000Wh 134.4V
Begode Master PRO 4800wh 134V
Begode Master X 3600wh 134V
Gotway Mten3 512Wh
Gotway Mten3 460Wh
Gotway Nikola 1600Wh 84v
Gotway MCM5 800Wh
Gotway Tesla V2 1020Wh
Gotway Nikola Plus 2100Wh 84v
Gotway Msuper PRO (MSP) 1800 Wh 100v
Begode/Gotway EX 19” 2700Wh 100v
Begode/Gotway Monster PRO 24″ 3600Wh 100v
Gotway Nikola Plus 2700Wh 100v

On the diagram below you could see declared ranges of these EUC compared to their batteries:

cPWewUS.png

I noticed that a rate of range and capacity is not constant. It tends to decrease as batteries get bigger.  The point is, the more heavier EUC, the more load goes for motor and more power is consumed. Taking it into account, I added an extra multiplier k = (70 + w)/70 where w is the weight of EUC (since standard rider's weight used in tests is 70 kilos) and it got more predictable:

kd8KdoB.png

Hence I assume that there exists a linear relation between battery capacity (E) and k * declared range (R). I concluded from equation of line displayed in black color that approximate relation is:

15 + 0.1*E = (70 + w)/70 * R, or:

R = 70/(70 + w) * (15 + E/10)

So it's clear now that range of a certain EUC could be estimated pretty accurately if you know it's weight and battery capacity. Hopefully, I'll compare this result with other brand names (KingSong, Inmotion, Leaperkim, Ninebot) later and then check how other factors contributes to this theoretical value.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Acceleration takes a lot of energy, so it depends on how and how often you accelerate. Comparing my consumption with others on the V11, I've seen something like 10% difference per 10kg weight difference.

EUCs have regenerative braking, which helps a lot here. Hills do eat into the energy pool, but generally not all that much of you end up at the same height, unless you're really climbing a small mountain.

Acceleration converts batteries chemical energy to kinetic energy and regenerative braking converts it back to chemical energy. There is of course some losses due to inefficiency. Acceleration works same way as riding hills.

The most important parameters for energy consumption are combined weight of rider and wheel, surface area and drag coefficient. Riders weight and surface area has nonlinear correlation.

Thank you @mathfux! I always like to see deep dives into relationships like you've done, they're fun.

My two cents and these are just based on looking at EUCWorld statistics:

1. total payload (and rider weight can be a huge influence) is a larger factor in reducing your range than I would have expected and I suspect this has to do with the amount of energy required to balance a large payload as opposed to a small one. It makes sense to me that the short term corrections to keep a heaver (or taller) rider balanced will require quite a bit more instantaneous current that they would for a lighter/shorter rider. I ride faster than average but spend 30% fewer wH/km than other riders on my models of wheel and your 'wheel weight corrected' graph supports that… my riding weight is in the 60 kg range.
  2. speed (drag) becomes a big part of the energy consumption when you're going faster than say, 35 km/hr. The spandex folks estimate that the power to maintain a given speed goes up by the cube of the velocity—I don't find that this plays out in real life quite as much as theory, but given the physics you can easily imagine that higher speed = lower range. And by quite a bit.

Most manufacturers have fine print to explain the test conditions that they use to claim a certain range. KS for example typically indicates 25 km/hr on flat ground, no wind, constant speed, rider weight 60 kg. If these conditions are consistent across manufacturers, then their numbers can be compared. But if you want the comparison to be anything more than relative (this wheel will take me half as far as that one), you'll want to develop a fudge factor for rider weight/total payload. And perhaps another fudge factor for riding style... aggressive, chill cruiser, tourist.

For the most part though, when comparing go with @mrelwood and @meepmeepmayer's advice: battery wH is king, more will go farther. For individual range guesstimates, I do wonder if there is an adjustment constant for rider weight.

Be very very happy you're a light weight! This is one of a few activities where being bigger isn't an automatic bonus.

On 10/5/2022 at 2:56 PM, Eucner said:

Acceleration converts batteries chemical energy to kinetic energy and regenerative braking converts it back to chemical energy. There is of course some losses due to inefficiency. Acceleration works same way as riding hills.

Not quite that simple. Regen braking doesn't activate on a 1° downhill slope, I remember a discussion that had found out that it takes a certain amount of braking power for the wheel to start using regen. Also if you brake very hard, it also uses battery power to brake. In my experience a trip in a hilly terrain includes more accelerations and gives me a noticeably shorter range than a trip on flat ground.

On 10/5/2022 at 2:56 PM, Eucner said:

The most important parameters for energy consumption are combined weight of rider and wheel, surface area and drag coefficient. Riders weight and surface area has nonlinear correlation.

Yes.

18 hours ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

I would say on average…every 1.61km / (1 mile ) uses 40wh ..so a 2000wh battery should get 80km (50 miles ) 

That would be ~25Wh/km. I think that's a reasonable average for rough calculations. I'm a bit heavier guy at 108kg, so my avg might've been a bit higher. Still below 30 though.