Looking to buy first EUC used. Is there something I should look for?

Hello folks! I'm brand new to the world of EUC and am looking to buy my first wheel. I don't have any experience, so I want to buy something used that I'm not afraid to beat up while learning. I'm 6 feet tall, 215 pounds and I'm not sure what would be a good fit for me. I will probably eventually use as a short commuter (I live really close to my job), but I'm not sure if there is anything that I should be looking for. Anyone have any suggestions?

I got V8F as my first one and it's a perfect starter wheel, also it's fun and works for short commutes (battery can last 30km as well if wish to extend the commute). I use it to teach others to ride and it has survived some.. very... painful.. drops.. until recently. Used probably should come in quite a reasonable price. 

I got Nikola+ later as an upgrade and love it (range and speed). But I would've hated the experience and wouldn't learn as quick if it was my first wheel - too heavy and bulky to learn on. Possible to learn on, ofc, but will take more time and unless you pad it up, learning damage will be quite visible and probably annoy you few months in. :D 

Cost me 50€ to swap V8F's shell and it looks great again. :)

Edited by Phonoman
  • Like 1

@Phonoman That is great feedback, thank you. I plan to pad the the wheel and invest in some decent gear. I didn't even think about swapping the shell out.

@Tawpie The wheels you suggest are the ones that I have been leaning toward, so it's very helpful to get confirmation. Thank you very much.

I think it will be either a V10F or an 18XL, whichever I can find used first. Just curious, are there any advantages one has over the other?

4 minutes ago, RotaRigorous said:

are there any advantages one has over the other?

Not really, the 18XL will go farther on a charge and is likely one that you'll like to keep riding forever as a second wheel (or first, depending on what you find you like best about riding). The V10F is good to have around as a spare, loaner, something to let other people learn on but I'd guess it's more likely to gather dust as your skills increase.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Not really, the 18XL will go farther on a charge and is likely one that you'll like to keep riding forever as a second wheel (or first, depending on what you find you like best about riding). The V10F is good to have around as a spare, loaner, something to let other people learn on but I'd guess it's more likely to gather dust as your skills increase.

I started not long ago and after a lot of great advice here decided on the v10f. It's been super fun and was very easy to learn on. Definitely quality built and I love riding it. That said I bought the wheel with the knowledge that I was passing it on to my wife kind of quickly. I've ordered a S22 for my second wheel. The 18xl might last you longer as your first wheel like Tawpie said. It is 500 more than the v10f brand new so if you're thinking that maybe you might upgrade relatively soon then maybe finding a used v10f is worth saving some money on (assuming used prices are fairly relative) and go that route. The 18xl will take you farther and is probably like 5-6 mph faster. Either way both solid choices with good records from when I was looking into it. PS I'm 6'2" 240.   

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Yamanator said:

I bought the wheel with the knowledge that I was passing it on to my wife kind of quickly.

A great point. I know that once I learn, my family is going to want to get in on the fun. 

Edited by RotaRigorous
  • Like 3

On 8/24/2022 at 11:55 AM, RotaRigorous said:

I will probably eventually use as a short commuter (I live really close to my job), 

How close exactly is your commute (around how many miles each way)?  How fast do you want to ride (up to how many mph)?

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 6:32 PM, 360rumors said:

How close exactly is your commute (around how many miles each way)?  How fast do you want to ride (up to how many mph)?

It's ridiculously close, not even really a commute. About 1 mile each way, but parking is a problem when I go home for lunch. I'm guessing 20-30 mph would be the most I need for the commute + after work joyriding. I could honestly walk to work, but I don't want to :lol:.

4 minutes ago, RotaRigorous said:

It's ridiculously close, not even really a commute. About 1 mile each way, but parking is a problem when I go home for lunch. I'm guessing 20-30 mph would be the most I need for the commute + after work joyriding. I could honestly walk to work, but I don't want to :lol:.

I guarantee you’ll be taking a scenic route............ 🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

For that range even a small EUC would be fine. In fact a high powered EUC might be overkill unless you also plan to do long rides. For me, my destinations are 3 miles or less and for that purpose, 16 inch is maneuverable and also small enough to ride on sidewalks without being intrusive.

Something like Inmotion v10 or Tesla v2 (if you can find it). Mcm5 might be ok too. If you think you will want to learn tricks like spinning etc., even a small wheel such as mten3 or the upcoming mten4 would be ok for that distance (although they are better for leisure than commuting).

• Like 2

18xl can't be beaten, if you like riding 25-27mph speeds. Also it's very great wheel, one of the most popular and loved wheels ever!

16s is the little brother, that goes max 22mph speed. Also great wheel, but less max speed/range. Doh is bit lighter.

Remember if you wanna ride 20mph speed - you need wheel that can do ~25mph max speed.. (You know for "safety") Fastest way to get a cutout and crash is riding 20 speed out of 20 limit. Always get bigger wheel than you need.

• Like 2

mten3 is NOT good for 'speed' though, only for fooling around. If you want to get places, it's not the correct tool! I don't know if mten4 will be better or not, but for sure be aware of mten3's limitations.

(I got to put my gear through its paces when my mten3 dropped me on my hands and knees when I was extending a last mile into a last 10 miles because it was a lovely day)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Funky said:

18xl can't be beaten, if you like riding 25-27mph speeds. Also it's very great wheel, one of the most popular and loved wheels ever!

16s is the little brother, that goes max 22mph speed. Also great wheel, but less max speed/range. Doh is bit lighter.

Remember if you wanna ride 20mph speed - you need wheel that can do ~25mph max speed.. (You know for "safety") Fastest way to get a cutout and crash is riding 20 speed out of 20 limit. Always get bigger wheel than you need.

I never had 18xl but I had s18. What I don’t like about 18 inch wheels vs 16 is that 18 inch is slower to accelerate. And a bit more of a hassle to press the pedestrian crossing button due to weight and size. For short distances, smaller wheel is more convenient imho. 

6 hours ago, 360rumors said:

I never had 18xl but I had s18. What I don’t like about 18 inch wheels vs 16 is that 18 inch is slower to accelerate. And a bit more of a hassle to press the pedestrian crossing button due to weight and size. For short distances, smaller wheel is more convenient imho. 

Yeah for short distances the small wheels is amazing. (Doh my weight and needs 16" was never an option.) To accelerate - you simply need to lean more, than on smaller wheels. Smaller wheels doesn't need any lean and they already get going.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Funky said:

That's helpful, thank you. I like my face the way it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am bigger than you and started on a Tesla V2, which was a fantastic wheel to learn on - I think of it like a Japanese sports car from the 90s. Cheap build, but has its charm and hauls ass. The only thing I'll mention is when you are larger you need to put more air in the tire to protect the rim... and this makes the steering more neurotic and makes the wheel more uncomfortable. I eventually got a Nikola and got so used to the 3" tire that I couldn't go back and forth between the wheels, the steering was that different. I recently modified the shell of the Tesla to use a 2.5 tire (with clearance!) I also experimented with finding the perfect tire (H666 was terrible, Specialized was bad, MMG feels fantastic). Now the two wheels feel much closer, the steering is slower, there is more cushion, more pedal clearance. So I don't want to dissuade you from the Tesla, but if possible going for a 2.5 or 3" model will probably be more versatile and last longer. Incidentally - I may sell my V2, and live in the bay area. I want to get the T4, need the funds... but having a hard time parting with my baby. Let me take a look at it this weekend, and if I decide I can live without it I will message you here before I put it on Craigs. But that's a big if! We've had some good times...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RotaRigorous said:

I bought a brand new 18XL! It took me awhile to decide, but I wanted to take advantage of the factory warranty so I just went for it. It comes with a cover, so I shouldn't be able to beat it up too bad while learning. I also bought elbow guards, knee/shin guards, gloves, and a full face helmet. I'm excited, but it hasn't been delivered yet. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Get wrist guards also. That's second most important gear. Because when you fall - most cases hands will land on ground first. And you may break wrists. Or best case scrape all palm skin - enjoy holding nothing for week/s. (Gloves work for scrapes.. Not for breaking..)

Something like:https://www.demonunited.eu/en/demon-flexmeter-double-sided-wrist-guards.html

I personally use these:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004416999784.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.61673afacTyMPH&algo_pvid=e58ad470-bfbe-4514-8a79-1a9ee775298d&algo_exp_id=e58ad470-bfbe-4514-8a79-1a9ee775298d-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000029110420085"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!EUR!31.96!9.59!!!!!%402101d64d16648301770894522e563f!12000029110420085!sea&curPageLogUid=QjCM9OqD5JsD

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Thank you so much for that. I actually have some just like that I used for roller blades. I plan on putting them over the gloves. Will probably eventually upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/3/2022 at 2:38 PM, RotaRigorous said:

I bought a brand new 18XL! It took me awhile to decide, but I wanted to take advantage of the factory warranty so I just went for it. It comes with a cover, so I shouldn't be able to beat it up too bad while learning. I also bought elbow guards, knee/shin guards, gloves, and a full face helmet. I'm excited, but it hasn't been delivered yet. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Congratulations! I always wanted an 18XL.

• Like 1