Uneven Wear on Tire (KS16X)

I just got my wheel back from the repair shop. Diagnosis was the tire needed replacing due to riding at too low pressure, also uneven tire wear. They suggested the uneven wear could be due to my riding style/stance, favoring one side or the other. Quite weird, really. I've seen others on this forum talk about having a different stance, one foot further forward for e.g. I would think that would also result in a different weight distribution? Anyway, now I'm definitely paranoid about tire pressure. This happened after only 800km on a brand new wheel and tire! What would the mileage expectation be for a tire like this anyway? They have inflated the tire to 30 psi. I tried riding it like that, feel like I'm a circus act, trying to balance on top of a rolling ball. No doubt all that mileage at low pressure has caused bad habits. Every little movement I make now is so magnified in the effect on the wheel! Like having to learn again - my confidence is really low now... Still, I'm hoping it will help me be more controlled, and deliberate when riding. No sloppy stance or movements now! Even my mounting is more precise now, because it has to be! Did only my 2nd ride today since getting the wheel back - mere 6km. Taking my time, riding slow, having to relearn cornering, turning. Going to give it a week, and if not much better, I might lower the psi a smidgeon... 

Stock tire on 16x is known to have a horrible knife edge feel. 

change the tire to something else and it completely change characteristics of the wheel and make your riding experience much better.

Plenty of suggestions in the tire thread & 16x thread… keeping your  Pressure up will help avoid costly repairs / down time due to rim damage. 

Edited by Mayhem
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 12:49 PM, Saboteur_ZA said:

I just got my wheel back from the repair shop. Diagnosis was the tire needed replacing due to riding at too low pressure, also uneven tire wear. They suggested the uneven wear could be due to my riding style/stance, favoring one side or the other. Quite weird, really. I've seen others on this forum talk about having a different stance, one foot further forward for e.g. I would think that would also result in a different weight distribution? Anyway, now I'm definitely paranoid about tire pressure. This happened after only 800km on a brand new wheel and tire! What would the mileage expectation be for a tire like this anyway? They have inflated the tire to 30 psi. I tried riding it like that, feel like I'm a circus act, trying to balance on top of a rolling ball. No doubt all that mileage at low pressure has caused bad habits. Every little movement I make now is so magnified in the effect on the wheel! Like having to learn again - my confidence is really low now... Still, I'm hoping it will help me be more controlled, and deliberate when riding. No sloppy stance or movements now! Even my mounting is more precise now, because it has to be! Did only my 2nd ride today since getting the wheel back - mere 6km. Taking my time, riding slow, having to relearn cornering, turning. Going to give it a week, and if not much better, I might lower the psi a smidgeon... 

Your pressure must have been 'quite' low. I've over 3000 miles on my stock H666, 50% of the tread is gone (2.3mm left). I ride at 25 psi but don't weigh much at all and the H666 is generally a long running tire.

The thing with tire pressure is it's a rider preference thing, up to a point. Obviously you don't want to damage your rim but that didn't happen. I would recommend try dropping a couple of PSI and see how that feels. If it's still teetering, drop a couple more PSI. Depending on your weight, there is a low pressure limit, but 'normal' sized people ride 25 psi without damage. If you're a stair person or a jumper/bonker, you of course need to learn to ride at a higher pressure.

What kind of tire did they replace your old one with? And what did you have on it that wore so quickly?

Edited by Tawpie

18 hours ago, Tawpie said:

What kind of tire did they replace your old one with? And what did you have on it that wore so quickly?

Good to hear you can get decent wear out of these tires (if correctly inflated!). If I recall correctly, you've mentioned in other posts that you like riding offroad. Maybe offroad riding is easier on the tire than tarmac? Anyway, the original stock tire was J-6188 (no name). Although the invoice for the new tire states CYT H666, the new tire has the same J-6188 on it as the original one. So that is quite confusing. Haven't seen anyone else mentioning J-6188 tire on 16x.

52 minutes ago, Saboteur_ZA said:

Good to hear you can get decent wear out of these tires (if correctly inflated!). If I recall correctly, you've mentioned in other posts that you like riding offroad. Maybe offroad riding is easier on the tire than tarmac? Anyway, the original stock tire was J-6188 (no name). Although the invoice for the new tire states CYT H666, the new tire has the same J-6188 on it as the original one. So that is quite confusing. Haven't seen anyone else mentioning J-6188 tire on 16x.

J-6188 is the same crappy tire that came on mine. Do yourself a favor and get rid of that tire ASAP. Your doing yourself a disservice trying to ride on that thing. 

I ride strictly street myself and as tawpie stated tire life is still fairly new with over a 1k miles plus and counting. 

Edited by Mayhem
  • Thanks 1

You might have gotten the wrong tire… this is my spare H666…

If I could, I'd ride more off road but reality is that the day job is in the city so only about a 1000 of my miles are not on pavement. I try to get out for an hour each day after work, just to chill—and am lucky to have a paved multi-use path that's good rain or shine.

98691755-8736-495-D-99-B6-ED4-DC4043384.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 8/2/2022 at 11:41 AM, Tawpie said:

I ride at 25 psi but don't weigh much at all and the H666 is generally a long running tire.

I also have the J6188 on a 16x - it isn't the same as H666. I just looked up pictures of the H666.

However, I'm around 83kg with gear and have been running 25psi. This seems like a great pressure for me. I'm still learning to jump curbs etc; I've had a couple of hard hits and with no impact to the rim.

My tire also has uneven wear. I'm sure it's because of me though - one leg longer than the other due to scoliosis and injury. That longer leg also doesn't bend without going onto the ball of my foot (foot has limited movement). I'm going through the process of having to consciously straighten my good leg a bit and bend my bad leg a bit, this usually brings them to the same bend. I have also begun to question this tire - it's terrible on some types of grass for example. I call it drunk grass now :(

I also have trouble with wobble at speed. I've been attributing this to the uneven pressure exerted by my feet.

Ahh, I just had a thought; the wobbles on mine could be due to sealant! We went travelling recently where there are lots of 3 cornered jacks - think thorns up to 8mm long. I added sealant to our wheels. I gave mine 11oz because I didn't realise the bottle (slime) was for 2 motorcycle tires; the recommended amount was 6oz.

Edited by Uras

17 hours ago, Uras said:

I also have trouble with wobble at speed. I've been attributing this to the uneven pressure exerted by my feet.

Lots of people ride with an uneven stance. Staggered or uneven feet do not cause wobbles. And even the excess sealant doesn’t wobble. Some sealants are even marketed as a solution from wobbles.

Since you have issues with your leg, the joint and muscle elasticity might not be quite there, and tense legs (“beginner legs” or just tired legs) is one of the known main contributors for wobbles.

Concentrate on getting a relaxed stance, don’t squeeze or hug the wheel, and give your body time to get used to the new way of being. The wobbles will go away. Just don’t increase your maximum speed too fast. If you do get a wobble, mark it down as the speed red zone, and stay below it. Review the red zone in a month or so.

• Upvote 2

Thanks mrelwood. It's good to hear positive stuff :). It's funny; I've never squeezed or hugged the wheel. I didn't realise this till I started trying to hold the wheel vertical while riding skinnies on a slant. I'll work on relaxing into a stance.

• Upvote 1