How to climb larger curbs?

I’ve got a KS S18 that I’ve upgraded the tire on and changed the shock to a coil-over. I can climb curbs or roots that are 4 inches (10cm) and smaller, but am having trouble with anything larger than that. Does anyone have advice on how to climb curbs that are 6-8” (15-20 cm) high? 

My tire is about 19.5” in diameter. For smaller curbs, I just ride up to them and then load the wheel. Just before I hit the curb I unload my weight and “bump” up the curb. I usually get a bit of air doing this as well. I’ve got some home built pads that allow me to do some modest bunny hopping on the flat (I can usually get 1-2 inches of height). Since switching to the coil-over shock (650 lbs spring), I find it harder to get the same pop as I did with the air shock. Sometimes I get stuck trying to go over even the 4 inch curbs and nearly fall of the front of the wheel. The only time I’ve tried a 6 inch curb I ended up pedal scraping so bad that I crashed. 

I really want to get better at 4 inch curbs, and then to be able to tackle larger curbs. I’ve watched all the videos online I can find (specifically, Wrong Way’s tutorials as well as a UK tutorial that focused on bonking 4” curbs). I’d love to hear what techniques people here use. Thanks!

Your profile says you have (or had) a 16X. Did you have a better time jumping with the 16X? I am trying to understand whether it's about not managing to jump high enough in general or about the particular difficulty with the suspension wheel S18 with a coil-over. I learnt jumping ~4" curbs at low speed with the 16S at some point, but my current wheel is not in the best shape (a lifted 18L with old, compromised shells) so I don't want to risk cracking it though it's tempting since it has cobra jump pads installed. 

Edited by yoos
  • Like 2

I can manage the 4” curbs on the 16X by unweighting as I hit. It is easier on the S18 with the larger tire. But on both wheels I feel like my technique is shaky, and I’m not sure how to tackle large curbs. 

When I was learning I first learnt to jump on flat ground, i.e. lift the EUC from the ground. After I managed to lift it in a predictable manner I started jumping over mock obstacles, i.e. put a small piece of paper and see whether you can time your jump to get over the paper without touching it. Then move to longer obstacles (big piece of paper or two pieces to mark start and end of jump. By inspecting your tire marks after the jump you can judge how well your jumping works and adjust. Then try to work with height buy using paper or plastic cups (start with shallow ones) or something else that has height but does not truly pose any danger if you misjump. This way you get to exercise a lot without risking any damage, which helps the learning process.

Once you master this you can move on to real obstacles, i.e. curbs, they shouldn't be very hard by then. Also it's best to start with "overjumping", i.e. learn to jump higher than the curb and then slowly adjust to more efficient (less energy-consuming, less bouncy) climbing. Ideally your curb-hop should be such that your wheel only goes up but never down. Though at high speed and on an unfamiliar obstacle it's better to overjump a little for safety margin.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ksmack said:

Since switching to the coil-over shock (650 lbs spring), I find it harder to get the same pop as I did with the air shock.

On the coil-over, have you tried lowering the rebound damping to get a stronger pop.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ksmack said:

Do you mean making the rebound slower? I’ve tried a range of settings as well as different coils. The 650 lbs coil pops better than the 550 lbs coil I tried. 

That's a conundrum. Slower rebound means the wheel stays higher in the wheel well when you're jumping. But that also makes the suspension prone to packing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ksmack said:

Do you mean making the rebound slower? I’ve tried a range of settings as well as different coils. The 650 lbs coil pops better than the 550 lbs coil I tried. 

I see. You already have tried a range of settings. Just verifying. 

• Like 1

No, you're not a wuss for avoiding kerb bonking - a lot of times it is just unnecessary - most pavements or sidewalks have ramps / flat bits at some point along them, so you save your wheel a lot of amp pushing and stress if you just use those instead of banging into vertical surfaces and hoping the wheel (and your decreased control over it while bumping / airborne) copes. For me that is just adding unrequired additional risk to rides. Fairly convinced that my MS3 has mainly lasted the 6 years it has (and still going strong) because I try and spare it these challenges in daily use. I don't think 'bumping without jumping' does your knees any favours either ! I'll be interested to see if my attitude to that changes when the master arrives...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 3

I will say the suspension makes a big difference. On the 16X I rarely ever attempt going up or down curbs because of my knees. On the S18, note that the suspension is dialed in, I steer into every pothole on the road and take nearly every drop (up to two feet) that I come across. I’ve also started trail riding more, and tackling stairs. When things are working, a 1 inch deep pothole on the 16X feels about the same impact wise as a 9 inch curb drop. 

So it has made me feel more confident in trying new things, and also has “curbed” my desire to ride faster as I’m always looking for things to drop over or bonk off of. We will see how long the S18 lasts —I’m only at 800 miles so far. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ksmack said:

Can you close the pedals with the Kai pads?

I don't think you can close the stock pedals.  I had the Freemotion slim pedals and closed fine.  https://freemotionshop.com/product/kingsong-s18-cnc-spikes-pedals-slim-version/

• Like 2

@c5flybyu That's some impressive height! I have the same pad setup (kaipads + monocustomize), I can't get nearly that much height on my coil shock, even with rebound all the way fast. And I do get the concept of preload and pulling the wheel up to my chest with my knees. Might just need more practice.

I'm wondering if an air shock is better for jumping like that, I might have to swap back and try it out. I've been running a coil for 90% of the time I've had my S18. Body weight probably makes a difference too, if you're not heavy enough then pulling the wheel up won't be as effective (because you're also pulling yourself down).

Also, I have the same Freemotion pedals, I really like them but potential buyers be warned that they didn't fit my S18 without modification. There are fillets on the inside corners that interfere with the pedal hangers, and the pedals couldn't open. I had to fillet them square for it to work. Another person on reddit had the same problem.

• Like 1

I just jumped up and down on my pedals until they were flat.  :thumbup:

You don't need suspension to get a good hop.  Bend your knees to preload and jump like you are doing a standing sit-up.  I guess a strong core and legs may help a lil 😁  Below is from a small bonk that cleared about 9 feet.

Screenshot_20220726-134705~3.png

Edited by c5flybyu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1