Battery percentage incorrectly reads 0

ursi

I'm new to the EUC world and recently bought a used S18 with about 2500km on it. Yesterday I noticed that the app told me that the battery was at 0%, despite me currently riding it and knowing that it was likely 50-60%. I've seen enough horror stories to know that any time the battery is doing something weird, that could mean a fire is immanent, so I'm very worried now. The voltage, current, etc all seem to be reporting properly, it's just the battery percentage. What should I do? Has anyone else had this issue? 

Side note: I expected there to be a battery safety category to post in, or something similar, but I did not see one. Please direct me there if I missed it, thanks. 

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

• Chriull changed the title to Battery percentage incorrectly reads 0

Are you using the King Song app? I'm having same issue with battery % showing zero, only noted this in the last few days. Thought it might be due to me not updating to the latest version, don't want to because last time I did it caused me issues. I also use EUC World app, and that showed 80% battery, which is what I expected to see. So I wasn't concerned after that. Maybe try a different app and see whether it shows correct battery %.

• Like 1

Voltage counts. If that is good, the wheel is good, and there is simply an issue with how the app computes a percentage. Or maybe there is a setting where you can change the expected voltage (84V for the S18) and the computation will be correct then.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ursi said:

That gives me some piece of mind.

Just to clarify:

The max voltage of the S18 is 84V (can read as 84.2V for example, measurements are not too precise). The min voltage (what King Song sees as 0%) is something between 60V and 66V (not sure what exactly).

So if your voltage is between those, there is zero reason to assume there is anything wrong with the battery or that you have anything to worry about. The battery percentage is just something that goes wrong in the app for some reason, independent of the wheel.

No worries:)

• Like 1

@ursi@Saboteur_ZA Sometimes the Kingsong app can show zero percent battery and it's usually due to it not picking up the data through bluetooth. It sometimes happens if your wheel is a few feet away from your phone when you switch it on. To rectify this go nearer to the wheel with your phone, turn off your wheel, and reconnect to the app and it should then show the correct reading after its wonderful beeps. I have been using the Kingsong app and although a little clunky has been very stable.

• Like 2

Another 'vote' for "give it a moment". I checked this AM and when initially connected, the S18 showed 0%... but maybe 30 seconds later checking again it had the (proper) 83% indicated. This was the iOS KS app.

• Like 1

Agreed, it seems to have been a short-lived problem. This morning it showed the battery % as per normal for me. I usually am right next to the wheel when I check though. Noted small difference between KS app (58%), and EUC World (64%). Pretty close I'd say!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saboteur_ZA said:

I usually am right next to the wheel

Then its the app being a bit clunky picking up the data which is good to know. I find it doesn't happen very often just once in a blue moon.

My wheel yesterday advised that a new update is available for me. I will hold off atm just to see how it pans out. Sometimes updating can be a bit clunky too. But can be rectified by turning off and on the wheel and trying again. I'm just letting you know so it doesn't stress you out if you need or want to do it in the future. Although the app is a little clunky the actual wheel isn't and is very solid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saboteur_ZA said:

small difference between KS app (58%), and EUC World (64%)

EUCWorld has three different ways it'll calculate battery percentage in General>Battery Level... one that's "smart" and attempts to compute remaining range (not so great in my opinion), one that's "standard", and a third (custom battery levels) that lets you tell the app what is the voltage for 100% and 0%. I use the custom one and it works well enough—I'm in the camp that believes that what matters is the battery voltage, not a derived "state of charge".

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tawpie said:

EUCWorld has three different ways it'll calculate battery percentage

Interesting! Good to know... Now what I'd really love to understand, is the impact of the different battery levels on performance and max speed. I scanned the extensive  manual (bit of sarcasm) that came with my wheel, but it didn't say anything about that. I suppose it might be difficult to quantify, as different users will get different speed even on full battery. But I get the warning beeps earlier on lower battery levels, and I wish I knew more or less what the sliding scale of performance equates to.

The 16X (firmware v2.09) does reduce the speed limit (tiltback) based on battery voltage... here's a plot. At the top of the top section is the speed limit (pink with gray hashes). Bottom section black line is the wheel battery percentage (custom) and the green line is the safety margin. You can see the speed limit start to drop as the battery drops below about 45%—I hit beeps once but didn't push my luck to see if it would tiltback. The little blips in the speed limit that start around 30 km are when "things" got pushed a bit and I had voltage sag.

Screen-Shot-2022-06-10-at-7-30-09-PM.png

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

Yesterday I turned on my EUC and the King Song app was showing the battery percentage again. I also set up EUC world to use next time this happens. Thanks for the help guys.

19 hours ago, Tawpie said:

It looks like the speed limit reduction starts kicking in when the battery drops below 70V

Screen-Shot-2022-06-10-at-8-03-39-PM.png

Thanks for that info, good to understand this better. In the end, there's quite a difference in actual performance of the wheel, and what I expected. The stated speed of 50km/h, I'd read enough to know would probably never happen. I set the limit at 40km/h just to be cautious. No idea if that is unnecessarily cautious. But what I didn't realize is the impact the throttling would have when the battery was being depleted. For me it just means I def need a faster/more powerful wheel to comfortably ride the speed I want, on a consistent basis. I figure I'd be content with riding, say 50km/h. As I say that I realize that wish may keep moving up... But at 550km in with this wheel, I am thinking of my next wheel. Tough though, because not sure what can bridge nicely between the 16x, and the more hard-core big wheels. Maybe the V12 HS, when they get all issues sorted.

• Like 2